USB Hub Broken After Last Update

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
John

USB Hub Broken After Last Update

Unread post by John »

Hi All,

I acquired my MiSTer last June and got everything working in July.

Since my trusty A4000/60 was damaged beyond repair a couple of years ago I thought the Mister would be a good solution for me.

I am very pleased with it although I must say I am a bit disappointed that Minimig/20 is not cycle accurate and that the original DB9 controllers are so hard to use (I think the most important thing is to recreate the original feeling and that includes using original controllers - on this point I disagree with Sorgelig/the developers).

Now on to my question. Coming back from my holiday I thought it was a good idea to update the cores again so I run the update_all script. Everything went well and I noticed that Linux also was updated. On reboot my keyboard didn't respond anymore. On further investigation it appeared that none of the USB devices responded anymore!

Does the latest update break USB functionality? Could this be something else? I don't know what to do to fix it, because for everything I need the keyboard.

MiSTer boots fine and is accessible through FTP.

Thanks in advance for your answers. I hope someone knows a solution.

John
macro
Core Developer

Re: USB Hub Broken After Last Update

Unread post by macro »

Mine didn't recognise keyboard and joystick after update.

I removed them both, rebooted MiSTer and then added them one at a time and checked that they were working (which they were) and they have remained working across several power downs now.

It could be your USB hub, since it seems some people have had problems with theirs.
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I don't know if this is of relevance to your particular issue, but whenever the linux image gets updated in the main repository (which you should check beforehand as a precaution), always run the official update script instead of update_all. The system must be rebooted immediately before any subsequent write on the SD card, lest you want to risk corruption!
starquake

Unread post by starquake »

lamarax wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:16 pm whenever the linux image gets updated in the main repository (which you should check beforehand as a precaution), always run the official update script instead of update_all.
Is this true? Have you reported this problem by creating a github issue?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

It's a non-issue. That's how things work.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I had issues with my BT Dualshock but today's update has fixed it. Try to run the "update" script again.
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

@lamarax, it would be surprising if you would need to run the official update script specifically, because update_all runs exactly that among other scripts.

@John, I had the same issue, because of the latest update. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3177

Because linux is not updated, but the MiSTer binary is, you need to take out your micro SD and replace the MiSTer binary with the previous release from the 25th: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... r_20210825

I did so and all my USB-devices work again.

EDIT: I can confirm what macro said, adding USB devices one after another makes them work again with the latest MiSTer binary even though linux is not updated.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Threepwood wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:05 pm @lamarax, it would be surprising if you would need to run the official update script specifically, because update_all runs exactly that among other scripts.
Please see thread->. I said I'm not sure if the issue reported by the OP, has anything to do with how the linux img needs to be updated in order to prevent possible SD corruption.
John

Unread post by John »

macro wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:18 pm Mine didn't recognise keyboard and joystick after update.

I removed them both, rebooted MiSTer and then added them one at a time and checked that they were working (which they were) and they have remained working across several power downs now.

It could be your USB hub, since it seems some people have had problems with theirs.
I tried this already but this didn't work. The USB hub worked flawlessly until the update so I doubt that is the problem (unless support is dropped with the update of Linux).
John

Unread post by John »

lamarax wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:16 pm I don't know if this is of relevance to your particular issue, but whenever the linux image gets updated in the main repository (which you should check beforehand as a precaution), always run the official update script instead of update_all. The system must be rebooted immediately before any subsequent write on the SD card, lest you want to risk corruption!
This is a good advice. I will definitely check the repository next time. Although the nice thing with update_all is that as a user I don't need to bother with the repository as everything goes automatically.
John

Unread post by John »

akeley wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:01 pm I had issues with my BT Dualshock but today's update has fixed it. Try to run the "update" script again.
Unfortunately I can't without a keyboard/joystick. Or is there another way to achieve this?
John

Unread post by John »

Threepwood wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:05 pm @lamarax, it would be surprising if you would need to run the official update script specifically, because update_all runs exactly that among other scripts.

@John, I had the same issue, because of the latest update. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3177

Because linux is not updated, but the MiSTer binary is, you need to take out your micro SD and replace the MiSTer binary with the previous release from the 25th: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... r_20210825

EDIT: I can confirm what macro said, adding USB devices one after another makes them work again with the latest MiSTer binary even though linux is not updated.
This I can try without a keyboard. I will try this solution tonight and report back.
starquake

lamarax wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:34 pm It's a non-issue. That's how things work.
If update_all potentially causes corruption problems I would call that an issue.

Even if you don't call it an issue, it still could be useful to create a report. Because there might be a fix. But is there an issue? update_all.sh runs update.sh
does it override a reboot?

EDIT: See my issue on github here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater ... /issues/76
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

After I performed the update (via Update_All) it failed to recognize my USB hub, but after performing a cold reboot by unplugging and plugging in the power cable my MiSTer booted normally and recognized my USB accessories. If the cold reboot had not worked I probably would have pulled my SD card and manually verified the Linux and MiSTer files and replaced them as necessary.
John

Unread post by John »

John wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:18 pm

This I can try without a keyboard. I will try this solution tonight and report back.
I unpacked the files from the 25th of August update. Call me stupid but where exactly do I need to copy those files to?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Just run the update script which has been fixed and should install the latest.
John

Unread post by John »

jca wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:29 pm Just run the update script which has been fixed and should install the latest.
How can I do that without a keyboard? USB is not working.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

John wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:37 pm
jca wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:29 pm Just run the update script which has been fixed and should install the latest.
Good point. I suppose it is the same with your controller. Can you ssh into it? If so you can run the update script from there.
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

I have the exact same problem with devices plugged into the USB hub - something is totally f***ed.

I can unplug stuff and press OSD buttons to pair my bluetooth keyboard, but it is forgotten the next time Mister is switched on. And sometimes, you can't even pair the keyboard at all. My Mister is basically an unusable brick at the moment. I've ran the update.sh instead of update_all.sh, with no improvement.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Fallon wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:32 am I have the exact same problem with devices plugged into the USB hub - something is totally f***ed.

I can unplug stuff and press OSD buttons to pair my bluetooth keyboard, but it is forgotten the next time Mister is switched on. And sometimes, you can't even pair the keyboard at all. My Mister is basically an unusable brick at the moment. I've ran the update.sh instead of update_all.sh, with no improvement.
I'm having the same issue as well with my USB hub (posted here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3168) which is integrated into my case and not easily replaceable with a different model. After the new Linux updates on 8/25 the hub and devices connected to it no longer function. I've had to revert back to the older Linux configuration using the "Manual Installation Method" in the Setup guide here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide

Of course this will keep your setup out of date until the issue is resolved unfortunately. Hopefully this is something Sorgelig can look into at some point. I'm not sure how using an older version of Linux will impact core updates and that sort of thing.
John

Unread post by John »

jca wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:52 pm
Good point. I suppose it is the same with your controller. Can you ssh into it? If so you can run the update script from there.
Yes, the controller is also not working otherwise I could have run the updater with the controller.
I can connect through SSH. I use FileZilla for that. Can you please explain to me how I can run a script through SSH as I thought you can only transfer files that way.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I do not know anything about FileZilla, I think it only does file transfer, I use Putty. Once you are logged and are at the Linux prompt type:
cd /media/fat/Scripts
./update.sh
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

John wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:46 am
jca wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:52 pm
Yes, the controller is also not working otherwise I could have run the updater with the controller.
I can connect through SSH. I use FileZilla for that. Can you please explain to me how I can run a script through SSH as I thought you can only transfer files that way.
Just want to add in case this helps anyone, Filezilla by default will not always do binary transfers, it may transfer things in a different format, like ASCII which is just text. Make sure you use the binary option.

https://www.templatemonster.com/help/ho ... teftp.html
birdybro~
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

starquake wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:41 pm If update_all potentially causes corruption problems I would call that an issue.

Even if you don't call it an issue, it still could be useful to create a report. Because there might be a fix. But is there an issue? update_all.sh runs update.sh
does it override a reboot?

EDIT: See my issue on github here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater ... /issues/76
Seems that @theypsilon promptly acknowledged the concerns.
starquake

I get the feeling your main priority is to be right instead of being constructive, but I might be reading too much into it.

Anyway, it seems @theypsilon has addressed our concerns: https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_Al ... /issues/66
John

Unread post by John »

jca wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:26 pm I do not know anything about FileZilla, I think it only does file transfer, I use Putty. Once you are logged and are at the Linux prompt type:
cd /media/fat/Scripts
./update.sh
I tried Putty and it was very easy to run the updatescript via the terminal. Learned something new today.
Unfortunately after the update the USB devices still do not work so I guess it is back to the drawing board for more troubleshooting :cry:
I thank everyone who helped me so far. It is much appreciated.

John
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

starquake wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:00 pm I get the feeling your main priority is to be right instead of being constructive, but I might be reading too much into it.
I'm just trying to help people through my limited knowledge. I want them to enjoy what I enjoy without hassle, not to validate myself by being "right".

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression with my tone :(
NerdENerd

Unread post by NerdENerd »

I am having the same issue, issue is in a clean SD card created with SD-Installer-Win64_MiSTer release_20210831.7z but release_20210825.rar is fine.
esmith13

Unread post by esmith13 »

lamarax wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:16 pm I don't know if this is of relevance to your particular issue, but whenever the linux image gets updated in the main repository (which you should check beforehand as a precaution), always run the official update script instead of update_all. The system must be rebooted immediately before any subsequent write on the SD card, lest you want to risk corruption!
Directly running the official updater is not necessary.
The Update_All script extracts and applies the linux os update LAST (via the official updater) and reboots immediately after it is completed.
John

Unread post by John »

Ok I tried some things out.

1. I booted from the original Linux SD (which came with the Nano DE-10) and tested the USB hub. Mouse and Keyboard did not work. If the Mister update broke anything at least this should have worked in my opinion.
2. I connected the Nano DE-10's USB OTG port directly to my PC. According to the Nano DE-10 manual this should make the SD-card from Mister visible as a mass storage device. But nothing happened.

I have no means to test my USB hub since I have no other devices which connect to Micro USB A/B. But I think from the above tests the conclusion can me drawn that the port on the Mister is damaged. :cry:
What can you make of this?

John