How durable do you find the DE10-Nano to be?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: How durable do you find the DE10-Nano to be?

Unread post by bazza_12 »

FatSlob71 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:45 pm Mine passed the cat piss test so i'd say it's pretty durable!
mine has passed the cat-sat-on test.. :lol:
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

The oldest DE-10 in my testing fleet has been going strong for over 3 years, it has worked hard, suffered uncountable plugging/unplugging of I/O boards, RTCs, USB hubs (cabled and bridged), various HDMI monitors and tons of SNAC stuff. Never had an issue with any of the ports on any of the test de-10s.
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I see they sell HDMI extension cables, including very short ones. I'm going to get one of those. Sounds like a simple way of protecting the connector. I already have two MSX machines with the joystick port loose and inoperative.
Rukawa

Unread post by Rukawa »

WILL1384 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:03 pm

I had read about the ports being easily damaged, and made a case for the MiSTer FPGA that protects all the ports buy adding external ports, the case is kinda boring, bland, and utilitarian, but it protects every port on the MiSTer FPGA.

Will, your case is amazing, I would like to have a similar one for myself, could you please share more details about which parts do I need to get?
Thanks and have a great day!

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

Mine will be 3 years this january and still alive and kicking.

I live near the beach so electronics in my house tend to get rusty quickly and on my mister kit everything metallic is rusty already :(

lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Neocaron wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:57 am
green_onion wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:47 pm

Well, I suppose that more or less answers the lingering worries. Thanks for the links and the test results!

I guess I'll quit fretting over the DE10-Nano and go back to my usual routine, fretting over the longevity of my CRTs.

That you have all the reason in the world to be worry about, especially since those bad boys can say "goodbye" in so many ways :mrgreen:

Heh heh, yeah two CRTs die on me every year. I have 9 left now, but I'll need to go buy some more.

My MiSTer FPGA has seen nearly daily use for two years now. No probs. Use a compressor to clean it from dust.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Xbytez wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Intel have tested the Cyclone V for 2.1 million hours, with zero failures.

Spread across many devices maybe. but not one device cumulative time, because I don't believe the DE10 nano has been in production for 239 years yet, which is approximately how long 2.1 million hours is :D

That said if it is using SRAM, it isn't subject to read/write cycles in the way NAND is.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

The Commodore VIC-20 used SRAM. Some of those are still humming along just fine. ;-)

flavio

Unread post by flavio »

If you have the standard hardware stack inside the metal case with the analog I/O board and use the VGA port, most of the mechanical port failures should be prevented since only power and USB bridge would be connected, and those connections are pretty permanent. Also the metal case should act as a Faraday cage when it comes to ESD risk. I guess the only other potential risk could be due to overheating and SBC solder failure, if the fan fails and you run the MiSTer under heavy load continuously in an environment with no airflow. I guess, if you stop hearing the fan and you don't have a good heatsink attacked to the DE10-nano's chip, you should at least check and replace that fan... :)