Are there many cores with refresh rates higher than 75.0 Hz?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
nutsack137

Are there many cores with refresh rates higher than 75.0 Hz?

Unread post by nutsack137 »

I ask because I'm thinking of buying a 75Hz FreeSync panel and a MiSTer setup. I know the WonderSwan outputs at 75.4 Hz but I'm ok using triple buffering to 60 Hz for that core since I'd mostly want to play JRPG on it. But are there any other cores I'd be sacrificing unbuffered video output for with a 75 Hz FreeSync panel, assuming I don't want tearing? Perhaps some arcade cores? I definitely want to get some kind of FreeSync panel since I see SNES outputs at 60.1 Hz, Genesis at 59.9 Hz, etc and I don't want to deal with stuttering / tearing for most games I'd want to play on the MiSTer.
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Are there many cores with refresh rates higher than 75.0 Hz?

Unread post by akeley »

Regardless of the >75Hz matter, I've seen folks saying Freesync doesn't really work with MiSTer, eg: viewtopic.php?p=30631#p30631
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

If you're buying a monitor just for mister, be sure you have a good return policy. Freesync just means the display panel has a range it can display, it does not necessarily mean the monitor's scaler will let you access that refresh range without a freesync handshake, which the Mister does not support. And it seems hard to gather information on this...

Odds are good that you will be OK with most cores around 60hz, even neo geo, but PAL cores (50hz) or A0486 (70-75) can be a real problem. 3 out of 4 freesync monitors I have don't work with mister, while 2 out of 3 very old (DVI) monitors do. Every Sony TV I have will display 50hz correctly, but only when using a larger vertical blank as is baked in to the 50hz video modes (i.e. you need to flag ntsc mode to 8 and pal to 9 for 1080p), and none of them can handle 70+hz despite being 120hz TVs.

You can test for 50hz with the scrolling test in the 240p test suite on genesis or SNES set to run in PAL mode.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Do yourself a favor and look here :)