Problem with new MiSTer

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: Problem with new MiSTer

Unread post by bazza_12 »

that's really sad.. i'm sorry that you've wasted your time/money.. i hope you can get some of the cash back.. take care..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

NewMisterInTown wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:57 pm A very nice and kind friend actually posted me an already setup sdcard to try which was really kind of him and I was thrilled to get it this morning in the post so I put it in and turned on and the MiSTer booted up in seconds.

I spent the next hour plus playing Wizard of Wor and Berzerk which was a total delight, but sadly it all goes to hell then. I powered off, had my dinner and came back, turned on.. black screen. reset it and.. black screen. took the sdcard out, waited 2 mins, replaced it, turned on. black screen.

So it seems the MiSTer is fine if I leave the power on and never unplug it, obviously that's not an option.

I am calling it a day now, I had a real problem with FedEx getting the de10 in the first place, so I'm not going down the refund/replacement route.
am going to cut my losses and ebay it, I know I won't get all my money back but I guess I'll probably get half or so. I will just stick to emulators in the future.

Before I leave I would just like to say a huge Thank you! to everyone here that tried to help me, I really appreciated it. Thank you all.

bye bye
There's an issue that some of us on the forums have had where the DE10 has an intermittent bootup problem. I have this issue. I have to reboot my MiSTer 1-10 times before it boots properly. When you reboot the MiSTer and you just get a black screen, what LED lights are on solid? On mine, I know it will NOT boot if I don't get the orange/amber light come on solid. I reboot it until that comes on and I'm good to go.

Just FYI.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

kfreiberg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:41 pm There's an issue that some of us on the forums have had where the DE10 has an intermittent bootup problem. I have this issue. I have to reboot my MiSTer 1-10 times before it boots properly. When you reboot the MiSTer and you just get a black screen, what LED lights are on solid? On mine, I know it will NOT boot if I don't get the orange/amber light come on solid. I reboot it until that comes on and I'm good to go.

Just FYI.
there's something else going on.. i've never had this issue.
kfreiberg

bazza_12 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm

there's something else going on.. i've never had this issue.
I'm glad to hear you've never had this problem, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue or that it's not the OP's issue.

Feel free to jump in and see if there's anything that can be done to help via this thread if you like! Any help on this would be much appreciated, it's a very annoying issue. :D

viewtopic.php?p=9709#p9709
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

are you using a nobreak or something?

I had similar problems when my mister didnt power on one day, even the ps4 didnt boot up normally, sometimes had orange light.

the nobreak was the problem, after getting a new one. So far so good.
kfreiberg

pbsk8 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:34 pm are you using a nobreak or something?

I had similar problems when my mister didnt power on one day, even the ps4 didnt boot up normally, sometimes had orange light.

the nobreak was the problem, after getting a new one. So far so good.
I've never heard of the term nobreak, but after a google search I'm guessing that's slang for a UPS? If so, I've never had a UPS hooked up. I have a power switch, but the bootup problem happens with or without the power switch connected.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

I feel like this is a parable for following Terasic's instructions and verifying the DE10-Nano before setting it up as a MiSTer. It's possible that if OP had done this first they would have identified an issue and could have obtained a replacement board from Terasic. Instead they wasted their time and money and resold a potentially bad board on Ebay.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

kfreiberg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:05 pm I'm glad to hear you've never had this problem, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue or that it's not the OP's issue.
i never said it wasn't an issue. sorry if it came across that way
bazza_12
Top Contributor

kfreiberg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:05 pm Feel free to jump in and see if there's anything that can be done to help via this thread if you like! Any help on this would be much appreciated, it's a very annoying issue. :D

viewtopic.php?p=9709#p9709
someone has already said what I would suggest, if you are using a add-on power switch that plugs into the power cable, remove it then try.. the switch might not be delivering the correct power.
kfreiberg

bazza_12 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 pm someone has already said what I would suggest, if you are using a add-on power switch that plugs into the power cable, remove it then try.. the switch might not be delivering the correct power.
Thanks, this was one of the first troubleshooting steps I did and there was no change.

The only thing I haven't done is to put the board under a magnifier to see if there are any bad solder joints. I have a home-made cheap cardboard and duct-tape case around it and unless I know for sure that's the problem, I don't want to cut it open. It's annoying but not enough for that.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

personally i'd try process of elimination.. i'm sorry if i sound patronising.. go right back to basics. install the mister s/ware (not using mr fusion) and run it on just the de10 without any daughterboards or memory. use an sdcard you know works. don't run update all.. just copy across a couple of cores for testing.. check to see if that works.
kfreiberg

bazza_12 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:00 am personally i'd try process of elimination.. i'm sorry if i sound patronising.. go right back to basics. install the mister s/ware (not using mr fusion) and run it on just the de10 without any daughterboards or memory. use an sdcard you know works. don't run update all.. just copy across a couple of cores for testing.. check to see if that works.
Thanks for the suggestions! My board had the reboot issue even when I was just using the packed-in SD card that had some version of Linux on it, before I even turned it into a MiSTer. I did have the 128 memory module always installed though, I've never removed that since building it and firing it up for the first time. I could pull the memory module and try that.

The other problem though is that this is very random. Sometimes it would boot up on the first try several times in a row. Then other times I have to reboot it 5-6 times before it will boot. It's so odd.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

that is odd.. you got me stumped.. mind you, it doesn't take much lol
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

kfreiberg wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:52 amI have a home-made cheap cardboard and duct-tape case around it and unless I know for sure that's the problem, I don't want to cut it open. It's annoying but not enough for that.
Cardboard and tape are some of the worst things to expose electronics to. ESD damage usually presents itself in the form of intermittent problems such as the ones you’re having, so I bet it’s that.

The DE10 nano is a development board typically be used in an EPA (ESD protected area) so it doesn’t have much or any such protection measures built in, it is therefore hugely more sensitive to it than regular consumer electronics. Not to mention the fact that the PCB is bare!
kfreiberg

C-R-T wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 am
Cardboard and tape are some of the worst things to expose electronics to. ESD damage usually presents itself in the form of intermittent problems such as the ones you’re having, so I bet it’s that.

The DE10 nano is a development board typically be used in an EPA (ESD protected area) so it doesn’t have much or any such protection measures built in, it is therefore hugely more sensitive to it than regular consumer electronics. Not to mention the fact that the PCB is bare!
I had this problem well before I put a make-shift case around it. I had it in the open for months before I made the case. Thanks for the suggestion though. I know I should have a proper case, but I haven't seen one that fits my needs as of yet.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

PikWik wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:09 pm
bazza_12 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:51 am is it still giving you a black screen.. if so.. have you got an on/off switch on your power cable. try powering it without the switch adapter
this was my first assumption as well, a faulty power supply

i had a similar issue where if i cold booted (no power, then started the MiSTer by plugging in AC adapter) the MiSTer would boot fine
but if i did a reset, i would get a blank screen.
this was corrected by a new power supply AC adpater

however, i think the issue OP has is different, where the user is cold booting every time, and it either works or doesnt,
which also points to a power supply issue, imo
has anyone with this issue tried a different power supply / AC adapter ?
i had a similar issue and this was resolved with a new power supply
kfreiberg

PikWik wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:19 pm has anyone with this issue tried a different power supply / AC adapter ?
i had a similar issue and this was resolved with a new power supply
I've only bypassed the in-line switch and tried the stock psu that came with the DE10. What power supply is suggested as a high quality and safe replacement?
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

this is the one i have, but anything by mean well would be my recommendation

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 1J/7703654

please note, you will need a 2 prong power cord as its sold separately
NewMisterInTown

Unread post by NewMisterInTown »

Just want to say I spoke too soon about getting rid of it, all my problems were solved!
no more problems loading things, no more black screens, no more non-boot.

Why?

The whole thing was cause by the damn inline switch I had plugged in, seemingly it was dropping the voltage and causing all sorts of issues.
after I removed it, it worked flawlessly and has been for over a day, I did plug it back in at one point yesterday to just test and yes, it didn't load and then it went to a black screen and nothing else. I removed the switch again and since then it's been absolutely perfect!

Cannot believe it was all caused by an inline switch! amazing
bazza_12
Top Contributor

NewMisterInTown wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:50 pm Just want to say I spoke too soon about getting rid of it, all my problems were solved!
glad you've got it sorted.. those inline switches (switch adapter i think i called it - i couldn't remember the name) are a bit dodgy..
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yeah, a lot of in-line switches are not well designed, so it’s important to get one that is verified to keep the voltage stable. This one is good:

https://misteraddons.com/products/in-line-power-switch
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I'm glad I have a BlisSTer board with embedded over-voltage protection, plus a neat power switch.

I understand where the hate reservations come from, it's a long story, but disregarding the elevated price and proprietary firmware, BlisSTer is the most elegant "USB hub" solution we have as of yet. It supports LLAPI on top, and allows for any OG controller to be automatically recognized, setup, and 'cross-used' with any core. You can play minimal input lag Genesis with a SNES pad, and vice-versa.

LLAPI might not be 0 lag like SNAC (which I'm using tbh), but it's unfair for it to be compared with deamonbite all the time, as it's not just some efficient arduino code, but a protocol designed to 100% coincide with a frame.

Sorry for the partial OT, but the venom circulating re: the BlisSTer makes me mad :evil:
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Glad you got it sorted out. I'm usually pretty active here, but haven't been the past week else I would have asked what your whole power chain was... Sorry it took you awhile to figure it out.

I'm glad you get to enjoy the MiSTer now! :)
birdybro~