Unable to cold start second time around - SD card issue?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
andypiper

Unable to cold start second time around - SD card issue?

Unread post by andypiper »

I'm just getting started with MiSTer. My setup came with an 8Gb SD Card which works, but I've been trying to set up a 512Gb Sandisk card, and keep hitting a wall.
  • flash MrFusion to card (I'm using balenaEtcher on Windows)
  • insert into MiSTer
  • power on -> initial setup successful
  • enable wifi
  • run update.sh (also tried update_all.sh)
  • can successfully reboot via reset button (or Linux shell, or reboot in the menu)
  • can enable Samba, copy games over network, play things... BUT
  • after power off, no longer starts - blue light and green lights come on, but no yellow light and boot
  • switch back to supplied ("Team" branded 8Gb) card - it works fine!
I've tried variations of this multiple times. I read about potential issues with the SD card slot itself, but since the other card works OK, I'm fairly convinced it is specific to the card. I have a smaller one of a different brand on order, but is there a known issue with specific sizes or brands? I tried

Code: Select all

CHKDSK /F
on the card, and Windows found and fixed some issue on the "Mister Data" partition, but it still would not boot in the MiSTer itself, so I'm guessing something more fundamental is corrupting the boot table on the card?
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: Unable to cold start second time around - SD card issue?

Unread post by bazza_12 »

might be worth trying a 256gig sdcard..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
andypiper

Re: Unable to cold start second time around - SD card issue?

Unread post by andypiper »

Yeah... I'm now trying out an Integral brand, 128Gb card (and fully switching off and back on between making changes in setup, so I can check if one of the update scripts might have been at fault). Going better so far...