Nothing is saving

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
deskins30

Nothing is saving

Unread post by deskins30 »

I'm able to save and load games from within the game even after reseting the core. I can even switch games and the saves will still be there when I switch back. But as soon as I switch cores or power off the Mister, boom everything is gone. Even the core settings are blanked out. I've already tried reformatting my SD and completely reinstalling to no avail. Does any one have any idea what has gone wrong on my system and how I can fix it?
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: Nothing is saving

Unread post by bazza_12 »

is this a particular core? which cores are you switching to? when you say 'core settings' what do you mean?
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
deskins30

SNES and GBA are the main ones I checked saves on put I've switched around to several different console cores. When I say core settings I mean the global settings for the core, from internal hardware settings to controller binds.
DecoyObvious

Unread post by DecoyObvious »

When you have a core loaded, open the Mister menu and make sure Autosave is turned on. If you can't select the option, you might need to load a rom first. After you turn it on, go the the 2nd page of the Mister menu and make sure you hit Save Settings.

Now, after you save your progress in-game, make sure you open the Mister menu and you should see a "Saving" message before the rest of the menu shows up. Now everything should be saved even after you close the core.

Sorry if you already knew all this, but I wanted to cover the basics just in case. :)
deskins30

Thanks, that was it exactly. Is this something from a recent update? I've had my MiSTer since last fall and hadn't really had anything like this happen. Though to be fair, I've mostly been using it for arcade cores so maybe I was just going long enough between console sessions that I never realized I wasn't saving.
DecoyObvious

Unread post by DecoyObvious »

I'm fairly new to the whole Mister thing myself so I can't say for sure, but I think maybe you just didn't realized your games weren't saving. :)

Anyway, glad I could help. Cheers.