Manual Welding MiSTer Kit No USB

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
tspgallagher

Manual Welding MiSTer Kit No USB

Unread post by tspgallagher »

I bought this:

4575et.jpg
4575et.jpg (144.32 KiB) Viewed 4818 times

Sadly, no documentation came with this kit. My biggest challenge so far - No USB. I'm struggling to understand how to hook this all up, and there aren't any instructional videos on Youtube or documentation anywhere else that I've been able to find so far. Also, the USB type C bridge piece didn't even fit, so I had to order another on eBay. The DE-10 Nano boots into some brand of Linux, but without USB working I can't provide any input.

Please help,
Tim G
DevilHunterWolf

Re: Manual Welding MiSTer Kit No USB

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

MiSTer builds are mostly the same. If you find a guide for a standard IO build, you can follow it the same way. It should also be a micro USB bridge, not USB-C. The DE10-Nano doesn't have USB-C on the board. Other than trying to figure out the order of assembly for the RTC battery piece, it's all only going to go together one way. The microUSB ports line up, the DC barrel jacks line up, and the HDMI and VGA ports are on the same side. Unless you bought the DE10-Nano from a MiSTer seller like MiSTerAddOns or UltimateMiSTer, it's only going to have the Terasic software on its microSD card which is completely irrelevant to building a MiSTer. I thought the regular MiSTer USB hub was just acting as a powered USB hub so I'd assume it would work even with that Linux build but I could be wrong. You might as well get the MiSTer software installed on the microSD card. You will need a keyboard to navigate with until you get a controller configured in the main menu.

If the DE10-Nano is powering up, I assume you have the DC jack splitter installed correctly. But it should be the splitter jack connecting the DE10-Nano directly into the hub's jack just below it and then the AC adapter plugged into the remaining barrel jack on the hub. That takes care of the power and then the micro USB bridge handles the data connection. That's all that should be needed. If it's still not working with the MiSTer software, then you could have a bad USB hub board. Some of the cheaper kits tend to skip over testing and quality checks so you could have just gotten unlucky. At that point, all you can do is get an exchange from the seller.
jdeberhart

Unread post by jdeberhart »

You bought a poorly made chinese kit that many people have had problems with, but this is how to assemble it, assuming it actually fits together properly:

https://youtu.be/-IP0k3GatHE?t=194
legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

Looking at the amazon pictures, there's an alarming number of things wrong with that kit. I/O board is older version without SNAC 7th pin, which won't matter, since it looks like the P6 and P7 headers are missing, so the USER port won't work. The USB board is a bit odd. P2 is missing, so VBUS monitoring is setup wrong (R1a). Memory is an old 32 meg module. They should be ashamed.
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
tspgallagher

For the time being, I've removed the Mister kit completely from the equation. I wanted to make sure there wasn't something stupid I was doing, so I got a cheap 4-port USB hub (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HYJLZH6) to plug into the port labelled "Micro-B USB" (that is the correct port, isn't it?) in this picture -

de10nano.jpg
de10nano.jpg (144.64 KiB) Viewed 5456 times

My keyboard and mouse still won't work. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Fun fact, Amazon won't accept returns because they have "welding" in their brand name and they won't accept returns of dangerous chemicals. Nice, huh?
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

Do you have the mister firmware installed or are you still using the linux that came on the mister? If you've got a wired keyboard and mouse they may be drawing too much power for a normal hub. You may need a powered usb hub.
tspgallagher

I'm using the Linux that came on the 8GB microSD card on the DE-10 Nano. Do I need to get a Mister image? Has that been why the USB hub never worked from the beginning? I never even considered needing a powered hub. Before I sink another $46 to buy another device, can I plug an existing powered hub into a USB-A port on this hub? Actually, I can just do that provided I can find a power supply.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You need to use a SD card made for MISTer. The USB hub you have should work as long as you are not drawing too much current. When I started I used a similar hub to which I connected a USB controller and 2 wireless dongles for KB and mouse. I used a powered one only when I used a USB HDD.