Set OSD background image for HDMI output

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Plumps

Set OSD background image for HDMI output

Unread post by Plumps »

Hi folx,

i am new to MiSTer have a simple but maybe stupid question, how can i set a background image for HDMI output display?

Regrards
Plumps
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: Set OSD background image for HDMI output

Unread post by bbond007 »

Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Greetings Plumps,

Generally the background ini defaults to 1080p and even if you're using an ini that doesn't you can always set it in the ini txt file. If you wanna do it the fast way then make certain you're either using a wired connection or wireless ethernet. Download update_all script to the scripts folder, power on the Mister, navigate over to scripts and run that son bitch to the finish.

This should provide you with ini settings, in ini you may seek out resolution options. 1080p60 is probably your best bet. (unless you're from the UK - in which case maybe 1080p50? Then again I think 60 should work on modern European displays) Once done save and cold reboot. Now if you'd like to swap your backrounds with rotating ones each time you boot up the Mister you might like this.

https://github.com/RetroDriven/MiSTerWallpapers

The RetroDriven Wallpaper script is pretty badass. To install dump it into the script folder, follow all installation instructions (there are only 2 or 3 steps IIRC) and run the script. It will give you different backgrounds everytime you boot up the Mister or exit a core.
Dreams don't die!
Plumps

Unread post by Plumps »

Thank you for your replies. I already copied a menu.jpg in media/fat but was not shown as background image, so F1 on keyboard is the trick.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Plumps wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:42 am Thank you for your replies. I already copied a menu.jpg in media/fat but was not shown as background image, so F1 on keyboard is the trick.
Glad it worked out for you. 💪
Dreams don't die!