Screen Position on CRT

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
itsgettinglate@hotmail.com

Screen Position on CRT

Unread post by itsgettinglate@hotmail.com »

Hey all im new here and to MiSTer so bear with me, I think I have the basics figured out, my setup is connected to a JVC BM-H1900SU via vga to composite cables.

My question is I notice the arcade cores has the ability to move the horizontal and vertical positions of the image on the display but the console cores do no. Is there a reason they console cores dont have this option? I find the console cores image are slightly off on my display (black bars on right and left of image, of slightly different sizes) it's not a big deal but it does drive me nuts

I figured I'd be able to make adjustments via the service menu, but for some reason you can only adjust image size stuff on this monitor if you connect via RGB and im connected via component.

Thanks
Chris
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Screen Position on CRT

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Any analog offset has to be programmed into each core on a case-by-case basis, some devs support it and others don't. Unless you want to program the feature yourself, that is what you have to work with. This is partly why home systems assumed a fair amount of overscan, though that can be a bad thing for arcade cores.

It is possible to use the scaler to output custom 240p/480p resolutions to your analog TV (vga_scaler=1), you might have more control there playing with resolution width and border settings, as well as vertical blank. It can be a bit intense trying to pick a resolution matching each core to avoid non-integer scaling, but it is doable for most systems.