Brand new MiSTer SD card drive seems to not work

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Fooch82

Brand new MiSTer SD card drive seems to not work

Unread post by Fooch82 »

I have a brand new pre-built MiSTer that I bought from MiSTer ADDONS. When I first fired it up I got no display, I thought I would have had to get a flash on the sd card first before I would see anything, so I flashed a MiSTer fusion 2.3 on the card, put it in, still no display, I tried multiple times and nothing. I finally swapped the HDMI cable for a more expensive one, and it worked, I got a display, but it wasn't the mr. fusion splash screen, it seemed like it was already partially installed. I was allowed to run the update script and it downloaded a bunch of things, video works, usb for keyboard and mouse work, but when I put update_all script on the sd card and went into the mister to run it, it's not in the script list. I tried flashing fusion on the usb card, and I can switch to the usb card and I see the update_all and if I run it, i get a line 5 error that I can't access. And the really weird thing is I can't find a single thing online to factory reset a MiSTer, just that you take the sd card and usb cards out. Well with all devices unplugged, I still get the partially installed fusion screen with empty cores and things, like it's flashed somewhere on here.

I am thinking that when I wasn't seeing an output I could have killed the power while fusion was installing but I didn't realize it. I am VERY new to this, had it a week trying to figure it out, and it came with ZERO documentation so I'm not sure what can be wrong with this, it's basically useless as it sits now as far as I can figure out.
Piplup87

Re: Brand new MiSTer SD card drive seems to not work

Unread post by Piplup87 »

I would recommend going to YouTube, searching "how to setup a MiSTer FPGA" and watch one of the step by step guides. I just typed it in now and I see 4 or 5 videos that people have done that should help you.

I would also recommend confirming which SD card slot you have been using. There is an SD card slot on the IO board that is meant for computer cores only (the linux system cant interact with it), it sounds like maybe you've been trying to use that for your system files?

Again, finding a video on YouTube and going step by step should help you make sure you're using the correct SD card in the correct spot.
Fooch82

Unread post by Fooch82 »

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I'll start checking those right away.
Fooch82

Unread post by Fooch82 »

Piplup87 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:53 pm I would recommend going to YouTube, searching "how to setup a MiSTer FPGA" and watch one of the step by step guides. I just typed it in now and I see 4 or 5 videos that people have done that should help you.

I would also recommend confirming which SD card slot you have been using. There is an SD card slot on the IO board that is meant for computer cores only (the linux system cant interact with it), it sounds like maybe you've been trying to use that for your system files?

Again, finding a video on YouTube and going step by step should help you make sure you're using the correct SD card in the correct spot.
You were 100% right, I can't believe I didn't notice the second SD card slot. I've done mr fusion and update_all flawlessly. Thanks so much, man!
Piplup87

Unread post by Piplup87 »

Fooch82 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:39 am
You were 100% right, I can't believe I didn't notice the second SD card slot. I've done mr fusion and update_all flawlessly. Thanks so much, man!
I'm glad that worked! Enjoy!
Mr. Encyclopedia

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

In your defense, the SD card slot on the DE10-nano is much less visible than the one on the IO board, especially if you've already assembled everything together.