What componensts do I need for full MiSTer setup?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Blastmaster

What componensts do I need for full MiSTer setup?

Unread post by Blastmaster »

Looking to build my own MiSTer and just want to confirm the component list for the most up-to-date full setup. Below is what i think I need and associated questions I have regarding wthe component.

DE10 Nano
MiSTer IO Board v6.1 with Fan
MiSTer SDRAM XS-DS v2.9 128MB Module - Does this plug directly into DE10 Nano board ?
MiSTer RTC Real Time Clock Board v1.3 - Does this plug directly into DE10 Nano board and is it needed ?
MiSTer FPGA Solid Copper Heatsink - Is this needed or does the fan from the IO board alievate this ?
MiSTer USB Bridge Short/Long Connectors - Are these needed ?
MiSTer FPGA Bluetooth Adapter - Will this work with any make of USB keyboard / mouse ?
Micro USB Bracket Hub Connector Kit - What does this actually do and is it needed ?
MiSTer FPGA WiFi Adapter
MiSTer FPGA Power Supply 5 Volt 4 Amps
BlisSTer v2 For MiSTer / USB Hub v2.1 For MiSTer

Obviously this is going to be stacked. Do you get the screw pins for stacking with the components or do you need to buy the separately ?

All help appreciated !!!
german_user

Re: What componensts dp I need for full MiSter setup

Unread post by german_user »

That depends on the one hand on your wishes and on the other hand on the actual seller you prefer.

DE10 Nano
"needed"

MiSTer IO Board v6.1 with Fan
"needed"

MiSTer SDRAM XS-DS v2.9 128MB Module - Does this plug directly into DE10 Nano board ?
"needed" and Yes

MiSTer RTC Real Time Clock Board v1.3 - Does this plug directly into DE10 Nano board and is it needed ?
"not needed" and Yes

MiSTer FPGA Solid Copper Heatsink - Is this needed or does the fan from the IO board alievate this ?
"needed and comes normaly with the I/O Board

depends on the Boards

MiSTer FPGA Bluetooth Adapter - Will this work with any make of USB keyboard / mouse ?
Normaly not needed for USB Keyboards / Mouse

Micro USB Bracket Hub Connector Kit - What does this actually do and is it needed ?
MiSTer FPGA WiFi Adapter
Not needed if you use the Nic RJ5 Port

MiSTer FPGA Power Supply 5 Volt 4 Amps
Needed with extensions, Kit includes only 2A PSU

Normaly not needed, Snac and USB (daemonbrite) have also low latency and are much cheaper

Do you get the screw pins for stacking with the components or do you need to buy the separately ?
Depends on the seller, most they are all included with the boards
AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

There isn't really a "full MiSTer setup", setups can vary wildly depending on what you intend to use it for. I'd recommend watching some of the better curated YouTube videos and reading through the wiki to get a better handle on what you want out of MiSTer. The only must-haves (and this too is subjective!) are a DE10-Nano, a decent power supply, a micro SD card, a USB hub and an SDRAM module for a number of cores.

Blastmaster

german_user wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:51 pm
"not needed" and Yes

Guessing the miSTer will pick up time from internet. If you bought this is it easy to fit i.e plug gnd play ?.

depends on the Boards

What are these actually used for ?

Normaly not needed, Snac and USB (daemonbrite) have also low latency and are much cheaper

I guess BlisSter can run as either BlisSter or USB hub ? If you can run as hub can you use SNAC adaptors on BliSSter ?
Hetzen

Re: What componensts do I need for full MiSTer setup?

Unread post by Hetzen »

I'd also look at some of the all inclusive boards that DE-10 Nano slots into. Once you buy all those separate boards you could be better off with something that has a lower profile.

I went for the stack system myself before some of these other options were available.

The Multisystem has a thread here...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3031

There's also an ITX version here...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3399
Blastmaster

Hetzen wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:39 am I'd also look at some of the all inclusive boards that DE-10 Nano slots into. Once you buy all those separate boards you could be better off with something that has a lower profile.

I went for the stack system myself before some of these other options were available.

The Multisystem has a thread here...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3031

There's also an ITX version here...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3399
I`ve saw that RMC multisystem board. My issue with these boards is if anything gets upgraded or improved in the furture then there is nothing you can do and are stuck with what you have. Hence why I`m thinking stack is better.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Blastmaster wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:59 am I`ve saw that RMC multisystem board. My issue with these boards is if anything gets upgraded or improved in the furture then there is nothing you can do and are stuck with what you have. Hence why I`m thinking stack is better.
I don't think that's going too be an issue. I think you'll find that if anything you'll probably want to get another DE-10 Nano to become something more targeted, like an 8/16 bit computer set up, or something that's hooked up to an arcade cabinet.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Bridge or bracket are used to link the DE10 to an official MiSTer USB hub board. Long or short bridge depends on how thick your housing is. I use a bracket because it looks somewhat more tidy.

There is an analog IO board and a digital IO board, the biggest difference is VGA out on the analog board, which also can used for RGB SCART, with a VGA to SCART cable. With the VGA out combined with the HDMI port, you can have two displays connected at the same time. The analog board does use the second DE10 slot, which could otherwise be used for a second SDRAM module. As of now, no cores require a second RAM module, but it is not 100% sure that the Playstation and Saturn cores won't be needing one. The analog board also has an analog audio output, which is pretty noisy.

When you use the analog board there is an ADC (analog to digital converter) board available to provide audio input (it is included with the digital one). This is mostly used for tape audio input to load software. Not all cores of machines that used tapes support this. Sometimes new cores initially have this as the only way to load software. It is not great for audio sampling as it samples only positive signal values.

The digital IO board has a power button, which is handy. For VGA or SCART you need to use an HDMI to VGA adapter, which has the advantage of providing 24-bit instead of 18-bit color. You will probably not notice the difference with the current cores though.

Both these boards are not strictly needed, but handy for their ports, colored status lights and buttons (you probably won't use the buttons often in practice). A few cores initially use the second Micro SD option on them as the only way of loading software.

For the USB hub you also need the power splitter cable to provide both the DE10 and the hub with power. When using the analog IO board or now extra boards, you need the inline power switch, otherwise you have to unplug it to turn it off.

Not sure if the heat sink is actually needed, but I like to think I'm extending the lifespan of my hardware by cooling it well.

SNAC adapters can be used for more exotic controllers that aren't supported (well) by USB adapters. With them you can only use the controllers with the cores that are compatible with them. No Nintendo light gun on a SEGA machine, for instance.

IIRC the real-time clock module also has some memory that can be utilized by some cores. Its time keeping functionality is not needed if you keep your MiSTer connected to the internet and is only used by some of the cores.

I personally do have the ADC and RTC boards as well, just for the times they might be needed, they are cheap anyway. And simulating tape loading from time to time can be fun. Plus no unused holes in your housing :)
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

german_user wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:51 pm MiSTer IO Board v6.1 with Fan
"needed"
Definitely not "needed".
german_user

akeley wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:09 pm
german_user wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:51 pm MiSTer IO Board v6.1 with Fan
"needed"
Definitely not "needed".
From the point of view of the initial question asked, I still see this as "necessary". The point is not to build the most minimal version, but as complete a version of the stack as possible. SNAC and blister are competing, so both are certainly not necessary.
Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

It really only depends on what OP wants to do. There are only a few truly necessary components:
  • DE10 NANO
  • RAM (at least 32MB is recommended, but not even necessary for some cores, so... technically this is optional)
  • SD card (usually comes with DE10 NANO)
  • Power adapter (you'll get a US power outlet one with the DE10)
  • USB OTG or micro USB adapter
That's it.

Now if OP wants to connect multiple wired controllers a (cheapass 5 EUR external) USB hub would also be necessary. Everything else can be acquired later depending on what you are still missing with the bare minimum setup. If you decide you want a case, just buy one whenever. If you think your DE10 NANO is throttling, add a heatsink. Buy a bluetooth dongle if your controllers do that. A HDMI to VGA adapter would be nice if you own a CRT. etc.

Most people don't realise that all these addon boards are for incredibly niche uses only.

If you want to spend money, support the developers of Mister and it's cores. You'll get way more mileage out of that than out of an IO board.
annette

Unread post by annette »

Blastmaster wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:24 pm confirm the component list for the most up-to-date full setup
Looking at the original post they did not ask for recommendations for minimal or only necessary components to get setup.

they specifically asked for recommendations for a full setup.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

A ‘full’ setup is definitely more than most people would want or have.. full would also include MT32-PI, realtime clock, all the SNAC gear, a CRT…

Pretty sure the intention was ‘standard’ setup. Which as stated above varies by vendor, but in general covers:
DE10-Nano & power supply
128MB SDRAM
I/O board (analog or digital)
USB hub
Case
USB controller(s)
…and a cable to your display device
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

annette wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:05 pm Looking at the original post they did not ask for recommendations for minimal or only necessary components to get setup.

they specifically asked for recommendations for a full setup.
All these terms (full, standard, etc) are ambiguous, and also there's a prevailing misconception out there that such setup (even as per dshadoff's description) is necessary to properly run stuff on MiSTer. Therefore I don't see a problem with discussing other options.

As it is, I don't have an I/O board, official USB hub nor 128 SDRAM in my setup and yet I'm able to run 99% of stuff on it - on a CRT. I'm missing the ability to play a few games and some very niche functionality. I think it's worth mentioning that, since many people have tight budgets, and also the prices are rising.
Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

dshadoff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:59 pm A ‘full’ setup is definitely more than most people would want or have.. full would also include MT32-PI, realtime clock, all the SNAC gear, a CRT…

Pretty sure the intention was ‘standard’ setup. Which as stated above varies by vendor, but in general covers:
DE10-Nano & power supply
128MB SDRAM
I/O board (analog or digital)
USB hub
Case
USB controller(s)
…and a cable to your display device
This is a nice recommendation. But swap the I/O board for a MT32 Pi. At least the MT32 adds some functionality the DE10 doesn't already have (it's a MIDI synthesiser that works well with SOME PC cores).
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

The Mt32 Pi is best used with an IO board as it makes the connection so much easier. You just plug into the port on the IO Board. If the Saturn or the PSX core need dual ram and you can live without dual outputing analog and digital signals at the same time then a Digital IO board would be best as this is the only IO board that will support dual ram.
german_user

I can't understand how you still handle the 2 x SDRam modules as a statement. With the PS1 Core it is already clear that this will work with a module of any size and with the Saturn Core everything will certainly be done that can be done without it.
annette

Unread post by annette »

german_user wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:12 pm I can't understand how you still handle the 2 x SDRam modules as a statement. With the PS1 Core it is already clear that this will work with a module of any size and with the Saturn Core everything will certainly be done that can be done without it.
No one knows either way what the future requirement will be until either of these cores currently in development are near to finished.

Even FPGAzumSpass the PS1 core developer has said he is not sure about needing a second sdram until sound design is done.

https://twitter.com/RallyFlowBro/status ... 6329646086
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

german_user wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:12 pm I can't understand how you still handle the 2 x SDRam modules as a statement. With the PS1 Core it is already clear that this will work with a module of any size and with the Saturn Core everything will certainly be done that can be done without it.
I think you missed the if in my statement

If the Saturn or the PSX core need dual ram and you can live without dual outputing analog and digital signals at the same time then a Digital IO board would be best

We simply dont know yet and if buying from new and you dont need Analog Output I would go Digital IO
Asteld

Unread post by Asteld »

FPGA64 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:42 pm The Mt32 Pi is best used with an IO board as it makes the connection so much easier. You just plug into the port on the IO Board. If the Saturn or the PSX core need dual ram and you can live without dual outputing analog and digital signals at the same time then a Digital IO board would be best as this is the only IO board that will support dual ram.
Connecting the MT32 Pi is definitely easier with an IO board. But then again, you have to connect about 4 pins if you don't have the IO board. The wires you then need set you back about 3ct. each.

Again, just give the 50 florins you save by not buying an IO board to the core developers.

Talking about a 2nd SD RAM at this point is just speculation that caters to FOMO. Even if it turns out 2nd SD RAM is necessary, an IO board will be just one of the options to support it. An IO board will never be mandatory.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

What is needed or is a good idea. The base MiSTer is just a DE-10 Nano, you would still need a micro USB OTG adapter for USB ports but other than that and a MicroSD card for the MiSTer Installation. Now if you want to open up all the cores you need a SDRam module preferably 128MB. Now there are no cores that require 2 SDRam boards but there may be with the PSX and Saturn corse. But currently only one 128MB SDRam module is needed to unlock all of the cores. Now if you want a built in USB board you can go with a USB addon Board and that needs a USB bridge to connect the DE-10 nano to the board. If you need wifi or bluetooth you would want a USB wifi or bluetooth / combo device basically look for ones already rated for Raspberry Pi support as the underlying system is Linux for both the MiSTer and Raspberry pi if it works with the Pi it should work with the MiSTer. Furthermore thermals wise it is recommended you have at least a heatsink on the FPGA chip. The addon IO boards have Fan mounts.

That brings us to IO Boards there is the digital and the analog IO boards. The analog gives you analog video output(RGB or Component only) and a mini Toslink / analog headphone jack combo port. It also gives you a SNAC port and micro SD card slot for some PC cores. The Digital IO board has TOS link output, Snac port, extra SD card slot and Power switch. The Digital IO board also leaves pins open for a second SDRam module if that becomes necessary for the PSX or Saturn cores. Lastly are the two micro addon boards which are the ADC analog to digital board and Real time clock board. The ADC board is used for tape / analog CD program loading or analog controllers with the SNAC port. Most people won't need or use the ADC board but if you are a supercharger fan, want to use the Paddle condrollers via SNAC or like to load ZX spectrum or Commodore 64 games via Cassette tapes then get the ADC. The Real time Clock addon is for saving and keeping track of the time when off and not connected to the network useful if you play games that keep track of or use Real Time. If you are going to be connected via wifi or ethernet this may not be needed as you can sync time with NTP.

Lastly if you are going to hook up wifi and external hard drives or any disk drives I would recommend getting the compatible Triad Powersupply with the increased Amperage. Otherwise you may draw too much for what the built in supply could handle. But for light uses and USB controllers the stock power supply is fine. Don't try cheaping out or getting a random powersupply as quality in this regard helps protect the whole device in the longterm, if you feed bad power or if the power supply is shotty and goes off spec you device can get damaged. The SKU of the one I got is WSU050-4000

Now the last but most important final thing is a case. The cheapest would be to use the acrylic plates that come with the DE-10 nano and the next cheapest and compact option would be to get the acrylic cases fr the MiSTer. If you want to take your MiSTer on the go and need it to be as small as possible this is the best bet. Now if you want to go fancy while being small you can get the MiSTer Addons metal case. or you can get the various different mounting brackets for PC style cases with the Micro ITX mounts. Now if you want to mount the MiSTer in an arcade cabinet you can get the new IO board replacements that offer JAMMA support. This may require some DIY.

Lastly is controllers, you can use whatever USB controllers you want, via bluetooth you can pair anything from Wii controllers to PS4 duel shock 4 controllers. I prefer making my own low latency Daemonbite adapters I made a Genesis, SNES and NES so far as well as a Arcade stick with real working coin mech. if you don't do DIY you can buy the adapters via the Daemonbite shop. For general purpose controllers I use the 8Bitdo M30 db9 genesis controller edition with my genesis daemonbite adapter. it works well with fighters, snes style, fighters and is low latency while being wireless. I also can switch it out with any genesis controller. This really is all up to preference I like gaming with as close to the original controller for long plays but will use the M30 for casual play. Also for configuration and PC cores I recommend a good wireless keyboard I like the Logitech K400 keyboards as they have a long battery life have a small adapter and is touchpad mouse / keyboard combo so your mouse based tasks are covered.
Fear is the mind killer!
Blastmaster

Thanks, by the sounds of it I have most of the information I need, although it`s still hard to make choices and I still have a few questions,

Analog IO / Digitial IO - Digital better if new cores require x2 SD RAM
Blister / Standard USB - I`m edging to Blister as you get the two Blister ports but lose 2 USB

Am I right in saying that the SNAC port resides on the IO board but you can also get a USB to SNAC adaptor you could use in your USB hub if you don`t get the IO board ?

From what I`m reading all current cores only allow for 1 SNAC interface ? So is there ever any point in having 2 SNAC interfaces ?

So the AOC can double up as a SNAC interface ? I`m guessing some adaptor is needed.

I also see a MiSTer SNAC HDMI Adapter For BlissBox Cables. Why would anyone want that ?

Lastly do you always need to split the power to the DE10 Nano and the Blister/USB hub ?

Thanks all, getting there :)
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

Although some people swear by Blisster, I would recommend against it, as it is not supported by all cores, and it is not official. Since USB went to 1 millisecond polling over a year ago, its use case is significantly also diminished.

SNAC is completely separate from USB and if you plug one into the other, you will probably ruin one of them. They used the USB connector because it has 9 pins, is compact, and easy to obtain. It’s just a conduit for 9 wires.

There is only one SNAC interface because there were only enough free pins on the FPGA to support that. Honestly, you should only be using SNAC if you are using some weird controller where there’s no USB equivalent, like a light gun or fishing rod controller.

SNAC HDMI, by the way, is just a different connector for those same 9 wires, and will also break things if you plug it in to the wrong connector.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

And despite some claims the SNAC isn't Lagless, it just doesn't add additional Lag.
It runs at what ever the controller latency the original hardware operated at, that controller is being polled as often as that original hardware would do with a original controller. The actual rate varies with the hardware being emulated.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Blastmaster wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:11 am 1, Analog IO / Digitial IO - Digital better if new cores require x2 SD RAM
1.5, Blister / Standard USB - I`m edging to Blister as you get the two Blister ports but lose 2 USB

2, Am I right in saying that the SNAC port resides on the IO board but you can also get a USB to SNAC adaptor you could use in your USB hub if you don`t get the IO board ?

3, From what I`m reading all current cores only allow for 1 SNAC interface ? So is there ever any point in having 2 SNAC interfaces ?

4, So the AOC can double up as a SNAC interface ? I`m guessing some adaptor is needed.

5, I also see a MiSTer SNAC HDMI Adapter For BlissBox Cables. Why would anyone want that ?

6, Lastly do you always need to split the power to the DE10 Nano and the Blister/USB hub ?
1, Yes but you do loose the VGA connector.
1,5 Kind of yes but not completely see nr 7.

2, NO!
The IO boards port is a "USER port" that you CAN connect for example SNAC/BlisSTer/MT32-pi and other stuff!
Then the cores them self needs to be configured to use whatever you connect like to use the LLAPI mode on the blister you need the LLAPI cores.

3, For now NO, in the future maybe there are people that do have plans to use two player SNAC when or if it happens i have no idé about.

4, AOC?
Do you mean ADC?
If yes then NO the ADC is only to send in "music", for example the sound a C-64 tape has on it and then is played using a tape player (or a sound card from computer/phone/etc).
Meaning this "sound" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGonRkSiwb0
And here is a video showing Mister ADC in use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfhFhRAQitc

5, It´s useful if you already have blissbox cables.

6, NO BlisSTer has a power in and a power out so plug the power from the transformer into the BlisSTer and then plug a cable between BlisSTer and DE-10 (the BlisSTer to DE-10 cable should be included in the blisster package).
Also the "USB bridge" is included with the BlisSTer and probably also included with most "mister USB hubs" at least if buying from a good seller (aka not aliexpress/ebay!).

7, SNAC vs BlisSTer?
Both are lower lag then regular USB for the mister.
The mister can be enabled for 1000mhz usb mode (that sometimes reset when mister updates so run that script after every update to be sure it is on!) that makes the USB significantly faster but both SNAC and BlisSTer is faster.
SNAC is the fastest but BlisSTer is not far behind as in both are waaaaay under one frame of lag.

Both SNAC and BlisSTer works with lightguns.

Pro for SNAC is that the official mister cores works and is supported from the mister team, IF they have SNAC in them which all do NOT have.
But more cores have SNAC then BlisSTer (non official LLAPI cores that is!) so a win for SNAC here.
It´s cheaper!
It´s technically more correct since all things controller wise do behave exactly as it does on the original hardware.
The LLAPI cores for the BlisSTer do come out up to a couple of days after the official cores is updated.

Con's for SNAC and the first two are really BIG con's for me.
SNAC ONLY work with the "right" controller per core, as in you can NOT for example use a SNES controller on the NES core.
Or in other words, can you plug the controller into the real hardware and it works it will work on mister with SNAC.

Cores that do not have SNAC in them can not use ANY controller connected to the SNAC, you must use a controller connected to USB then.

SNAC do not work that or rather did not work at all, but started working recently but from what i have understand it ONLY works in the mister menu when your in the core menu, so you can load roms/change the core settings.
But as soon as you go out of the "core" meny or load another core SNAC does not work (could be wrong on this tough!!!)

Pro for BlisSTer.
Has a power switch (digital IO board will have one too!).
It fits sooooooo much better in the mister stack then a SNAC showed into the user port and sticking out or a loose SNAC board with a cable in the user port (not that big of a deal tough).

Now the three biggest pro's for the BlisSTer.

1, You can use any controller that the BlisSTer support on ANY core.
With BlisSTer you can use a SNES controller on the NES core and it will be in LLAPI mode (the one that is faster then USB mode).
Or you can use a Ps2 controller on the Gameboy core in LLAPI mode.

You can also use for example a Gamecube controller on C-64 with BlisSTer, BUT then it will not be in LLAPI mode, it will run in USB mode.
What does LLAPI mode vs USB mode mean?
It means that the HDMI ports on the BlisSTer can run in both modes for LLAPI mode it will need LLAPI enabled cores and that LLAPI is turned ON in the cores setting (it´s not on per default).
ANY official core will simply run in USB mode, so therefore you can run any controller on any core.

2, You can use two controller in LLAPI mode at the same time, or you can mix one LLAPI and one or more USB controllers at the same time.

3, You can use BlisSTer in the MiSTer menu with no problem.

BlisSTer con's.
It's not cheap! Owning some cables before hand do help a bit tough.
The LLAPI will never be in the official mister cores, so will need unofficial ones.

And the third option is skipping SNAC/BlisSTer and go USB all the way.
With for example Daemonbites adapters, that will be a good option too.
Problem with Daemonbites they have less options then the SNAC on what controllers can be used.
Sure it will be cheaper and you can even buy a Arduino Pro Micro and solder everything yourself for even cheaper.
But then you still need a solution for the missing systems.

What makes the BlisSTer good is that it´s almost like a combined SNAC/Daemonbites board but with a couple of added functions and more controller is supported.
Blastmaster

Hopefully my final questions :)

If I opt for a standard USB hub board, do you need to buy the power splitter cable ?

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... ter-cable/

Do the RTC and ADC boards connect to the IO board ?

I`m probably going to opt for the digital IO board. Does that make a difference regarding the case I can buy ? Do most cases fit both digital and analog IO boards ?

Many thanks
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

I'm going to go the other way a bit and suggest you don't try and buy a full/complete setup in one hit as many/most of the things aren't needed - and if you "need" them, you'll figure that out yourself as you learn more about the project.

I'd suggest buying
* de10-nano - required
* a micro-sd card
* the USB board
* a 128 MB SDRAM
* a WIFI module

And that's it to start off.

Start with that, use some peripherals you already have (USB controllers, keyboards, mice) and see what scratches your itch. There's no point buying all the add-ons if the cores you like don't support them, etc.

You don't need the IO boards - the HDMI output is great, especially now with the new shadow mask support
You don't need an MT32-pi - it's a very niche use case for DOS games, and IMHO the DOS core is the weakest core on the platform. It's a great achievement for sure - but for most of the DOS stuff you get better compatibility and performance just running DOSBOX on a newer PC/Mac/etc.
You don't need SNAC adapters, blister, etc. to get started

You'l get a great experience with only the list above.

Once you've played with it and figured out the bits that you want to improve, step up from there.
Me? I've had a mister setup for 18 months or so and haven't felt the need to upgrade any further. The only thing I regret not buying immediately was the USB expansion board (I was running off an external powered hub for a while) - you can get away without buying it, but its a huge improvement.

The RTC is really pointless as if you have your mister connected to the internet (as you would want to for updates) it will sync time via NTP over the network anyway. And if not - most of the cores never had clocks in them in any case :D
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Blastmaster wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:42 pm Hopefully my final questions :)

If I opt for a standard USB hub board, do you need to buy the power splitter cable ?

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... ter-cable/

Do the RTC and ADC boards connect to the IO board ?

I`m probably going to opt for the digital IO board. Does that make a difference regarding the case I can buy ? Do most cases fit both digital and analog IO boards ?

Many thanks
If you go for the digital IO board, it powers the USB hub (it has a power switch as well). So you don't need the splitter.

The digital board includes ADC, so you don't need a separate board for it.
Both the RTC and ADC boards connect to the DE10. The ADC board is fastened to the Analog IO board with a bolt and nut.

When using a digital IO board, you need a different kind of case as the ports differ. You can see that at the misterfpga.co.uk site as well, where you have to choose the type of board you use when ordering an acrylic case.

Also, the official USB hub board comes with different amounts of USB ports. Make sure you case matches your board. Mine has one port less, so there's an empty hole there.

You can always ask Nat of misterfpga.co.uk for advice as well. His service is amazing.
Blastmaster

Guessing the DE10 NAno provides the power to the IO board and Hub ?

If so does the swicth on the IO board switch the power on to the DE10 Nano or would I need the inline power switch if I wanted a power switch ?

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... er-switch/

I think thats me after this :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Blastmaster wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:19 am Guessing the DE10 NAno provides the power to the IO board and Hub ?

If so does the swicth on the IO board switch the power on to the DE10 Nano or would I need the inline power switch if I wanted a power switch ?

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... er-switch/

I think thats me after this :)
As far as I know the whole set is powered on and off with the switch on the IO board. So you wouldn't need the extra inline switch.