Two questions!

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
jaastamand

Two questions!

Unread post by jaastamand »

Obligatory First: The fact that this is obligatory doesn't diminish the awe, deference and thank you to those who have invested to much in making this a reality. Turning on 50% CRT scanlines and loading up Bubble Bobble, Black Tiger, Ghosts n Goblins, etc - that was my youth. Similarly moving to the neogeo core and loading up Samurai Shodown's, KOF's, etc - those were my misspent college funds.

Two humble questions if I may - One technical, one not:

(I have the digital IO board fully loaded version from misteraddons):

1. Is it possible to have audio and video through the one HDMI cable? I have the HDMI going in to a receiver first. Audio only works with the additional optical cable. Not sure if it's a setting I can change, etc.

2. I've ordered replicas of NES, SNES and Genesis controllers but to re-create the arcade days I need a good stick. I'm sure there is a specific name for the style but I grew up with the North American "SF Alpha"-style controller. Similar to the pic in the link below - gripped in the 'pouch' between second and third fingers for control. That being said: Does anyone have an opinion on the best fighting stick for Street Fighter, KOF, Samurai Shodown style fighting games? I would rather buy a solid one once than janky ones I'm never satisfied with multiple times.

Example:

1fe392f4d5.jpg
1fe392f4d5.jpg (108.35 KiB) Viewed 4718 times

Thank you so much for reading! If you have any insight to the above, even better!

John
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Two questions!

Unread post by jca »

Audio and video should be available via HDMI.
There are 2 settings in MISTer.ini for HDMI sound:
hdmi_audio_96k=1 ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
dvi_mode=0 ; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.
The first one should not prevent the sound and I doubt you have the second set to 1 but it is worth checking.
The other thing I can think about is the HDMI CEC signal which seems to pose some problems but I am totally ignorant about it, it appears frequently on the forum and I do not know if it affects the sound. I am sure those in the known will pitch in.
One thing you could do is connect your HDMI cable directly to a HDMI monitor with speakers or a TV to see if you have audio and proceed from there.
jaastamand

Thank you! Question1 resolved! (hdmi_audio96k was set to off). Now just the q of fight sticks! :)
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

jaastamand

hitm4n wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 pm https://www.8bitdo.com/arcade-stick/

Lovely.
Damn - I got impatient waiting for a response so bought this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I0GEDEY/

Any experience? for the $10 difference recommend swapping for the 8bitdo?

I do appreciate your insight!
jaastamand

...and then on further research find that (duh - of course there is) there's a reddit specifically for fightsticks. I'll continue to research there! Thank you jca, hitm4n!