Sudden DE10 Nano Death? Mystery Shutdown, Staydown

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
aeberbach

Sudden DE10 Nano Death? Mystery Shutdown, Staydown

Unread post by aeberbach »

I was playing Mr. Do! a couple of days ago and the screen went black. It did not come back up after power cycle, perhaps a corrupt SD I thought? Now I don't know what's up. Should not have been too hot as the analog board on top has a fan. Power supply reads a steady 5.05V. To make diagnosing simpler I removed everything and I am trying with the bare DE10 board - should display a menu at least. I have 3 SanDisk SD cards, 32, 64 and 128GB - I have used Balena Etcher to put the Mister Fusion 2.3 image on each and gone through the startup process. Every time the screen is blue then goes black with the startup information page and tells me it should take less than two minutes. After that the screen goes black, then the green activity light begins flashing again - then nothing - no screen output at all, not on HDMI and not on VGA (if I put the analog IO board back on). I have left it on for maybe 15 minutes but no output.

Then I tried the Intel Linux image "de10-nano-image-Angstrom-v2016.12" - boots to Linux.

What would you try next? Is there some log written by the Mr. Fusion process that I could look at?
grizzly

Re: Sudden DE10 Nano Death? Mystery Shutdown, Staydown

Unread post by grizzly »

aeberbach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:55 am Then I tried the Intel Linux image "de10-nano-image-Angstrom-v2016.12" - boots to Linux.
I assume you mean that the "de10-nano-image-Angstrom-v2016.12" image do work like it should?

I would probably try to flip all switches on the DE-10 3-6 times and make sure they are flipped in the correct way after doing that then try booting mister again.
Mostly because it takes no time at all to do and it can happen that one switch maybe had a poor contact.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

As grizzly said it is worth trying the dip switches: once I powered my MISTer and nothing happened. I wiggled each of the dip switches 4 times and it came back to life.
aeberbach

Unread post by aeberbach »

Well, no boot after lots of dipswitch flipping. I guess I'm waiting on someone to restock before I play Mr. Do! again. :-(

I think my next action might be to try some of the Intel FPGA-programming activities and see if it responds to being programmed in Quartus.
iamonlv426

Unread post by iamonlv426 »

I've had the exact same issue with no luck and had to order a new DE10