New SD card set up question

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
mindatlarge

New SD card set up question

Unread post by mindatlarge »

Hello :) I have a question about how I set up a new SD card for the MiSTer.

After Mr. Fusion installed the base OS on the MiSTer I did not run the default update script included with a fresh install, instead, I removed the SD card and put the update_all script in the scripts folder and ran that as my first update for a brand new installation. Should I have ran the base update script first then the update_all script? Things seem to be working fine...other than I think I am missing some scripts but who knows what else. My gut is telling me I should have ran the default update script first. :lol: I look forward to your input. Thank you!
german_user

Re: New SD card set up question

Unread post by german_user »

Think it doesnt matter.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

It's fine to run update-all instead of the default update script. Update-all runs downloader which is a new script that works really well too.
birdybro~
mindatlarge

Unread post by mindatlarge »

aberu wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:52 am It's fine to run update-all instead of the default update script. Update-all runs downloader which is a new script that works really well too.
Thanks for the reply. I was asking this question as I've been trying to isolate an issue I have been having with my MiSTer. Upon researching my issue, I came upon a post your made quite some time ago that explains my issue to a T and was wondering if you ever found a solution.

Your post:

"2. Randomly on some soft reboots or switching from one core to another (not counting menu core) the graphics can get all funky and in the case of the menu core then there is this heavily distorted version of the default static background with the wallpaper occasionally showing itself. The menu isn't affected or anything else. If I load a core without doing a cold reboot or manual shutdown and powering on again, I see issues sometimes in cores as well. It's very rare."

viewtopic.php?t=303

I get the same issue changing cores sometimes or coming out of say the ini script, the MiSTer's wallpaper static turns all scrambled and distorted looking but the actual core menu is fine. Booting into a core after this issue occurs, shows a really distorted image of whatever ROM is loaded. The only thing that clears this issue is to cycle off and on or cold booting works to clear it too. It happens randomly.

I've been pulling my hair out, trying to figure this out. I bought my setup last month from Ricardo at Ultimatemister. I'm beginning to think this could be a hardware issue but was really curious if you ever got it sorted on your end. Any advice would be very appreciated! :) I sent you a PM but it is stuck in my outbox. :x