New MiSTer User, Most Cores Not Working? [Solved]

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
glopglop

New MiSTer User, Most Cores Not Working? [Solved]

Unread post by glopglop »

Hi,
I got the mister for primarily c64 and amiga but i can't get any of these cores to work.

I have the mister, a 64MB expansion, and a cpu fan. The mister is outputting via the HDMI to a flat screen telly.

I installed everything, I used the update script to pull all the cores (also have tried via manual core installation).

I've followed the instructions for both c64 and amiga and it all seems to work in that i get the respective core menus, with a black background behind the menu. Loading any game just seems to result in this same black background.

For the Amiga I add kickstart roms, tried 1.3 and 3.1 though I suppose it is possible these are corrupt, I tried various TOSEC ones but they all have flags such as [o] overdump [h] hacked etc so I can't actually see an "original".

Looking through videos and the like it almost looks like the c64 core should boot right to the c64 blue basic screen? I don't get that just black.

I have tried a few other cores.

Atari 2600 seemed to work into a Galaxian cart
Genesis Sonic seemed to work into the main screen and the music playing
NES and SNES don't seem to work, although it's possible the images I found for the game roms are somehow corrupt.

Anyone any ideas, I just feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

glopglop

Re: New user, most cores not working?

I've just ran a memtest (using the one that comes with mister).

So with the 64MB memory installed I get this :
h9db6T8.jpg
h9db6T8.jpg (254.95 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

That seems to say it can't detect the memory?
The yellow counter top right starts at 130 and drops to 70, the red error count only seems to increment once at 70.

If I then remove the memory and run the memtest (I assume it's valid to run this with no memory upgrade?).

I get this. :
TTHTvcU.jpg
TTHTvcU.jpg (302.45 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

Essentially the same, the yellow counter top right starts at 130 and drops to 70, the red error count only seems to increment once at 70.

So I'm just not clear here, is this looking like a knackered memory upgrade, or perhaps a knackered MiSTer?

Does the black screen on a C64 core I got initially prior to buying the upgrade indicate anything, is that clearly a fault somewhere, or perhaps it's just that the C64 core won't work without extra memory?

It is odd that the Genesis core seems to run Sonic fine, also the Atari 2600 core seems ok. The MiSTer is doing something at least.
glopglop

Re: New user, most cores not working?

Problem solved, I'm an idiot.

For the record I'd put the memory in the opposite slot, Jesus.

Swapping it over memory tests all pass, everything now seems to load. I'm lucky I didn't break the fpga or the memory module.