Wallpapers and CRT TV

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
cyllboy

Wallpapers and CRT TV

Unread post by cyllboy »

I’m using a Bang Olufsen Beovision 7000 for display. I tried to install a custom wallpaper following the wiki, but even pressing F1 I always get the rolling noise as wallpaper.
The tv is connected via vga-scart cable with csync active in configuration.

Can you help me?

Thank you!
cyllboy

Re: Wallpapers and CRT TV

Unread post by cyllboy »

I reply to myself...as far as I found a solution in the topic "wallpapers", sorry for my preavious bad search:
Zawa wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:59 pm
wreckk wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:26 pm Him... I recently connected my MiSTer to a PVM and the F1 functionality doesn't work, nor does placing an image titled menu.jpg/png in media/fat anyone else having this issue?
You need to change your MiSTer.ini and enable a couple of things for backgrounds to work over analog video.

Code: Select all

[menu]
vga_scaler=1
fb_terminal=1
video_mode=512,38,66,64,224,12,20,6,10689
This is the video_mode that I use to make the menu look proportional on my PVM.

I believe that the "video_mode" has to be tweaked accordingly the device.

Moreover... Probably it is not a good idea to enable the scaler on a crt, because MiSTer is outputting by default a native untouched signal, that is probably more faithful to the original machine. I'd like to hear the opionion of someone more expert than me. Thank you!
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

If you carefully look at the config you posted there's a [menu] line on top. This means that config is active only in menu core overriding the global config. Having the vga connected to the scaler only in menu core is not a big loss and ensures you view the wallpaper and terminal and as soon as you load any other core, the global or that core specific config will be used.
cyllboy

Unread post by cyllboy »

cyllboy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 pm I reply to myself...as far as I found a solution in the topic "wallpapers", sorry for my preavious bad search:
Zawa wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:59 pm
wreckk wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:26 pm Him... I recently connected my MiSTer to a PVM and the F1 functionality doesn't work, nor does placing an image titled menu.jpg/png in media/fat anyone else having this issue?
You need to change your MiSTer.ini and enable a couple of things for backgrounds to work over analog video.

[menu]
vga_scaler=1
fb_terminal=1
video_mode=512,38,66,64,224,12,20,6,10689
This is the video_mode that I use to make the menu look proportional on my PVM.

I believe that the "video_mode" has to be tweaked accordingly the device.

Moreover... Probably it is not a good idea to enable the scaler on a crt, because MiSTer is outputting by default a native untouched signal, that is probably more faithful to the original machine. I'd like to hear the opionion of someone more expert than me. Thank you!
Lisko wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:56 pm If you carefully look at the config you posted there's a [menu] line on top.
Thank you very much! this solves my doubts: I didn't know that the parameters could be applied for single core! Nice and clean option!
I will adopt that!

I was also wondering if 512 is a bit too much for the old crt: I saw distorsion in the upper part of image.

I thought that 320 x 240 "square pixel 4:3" would be safer.
So I tried:

[menu]
vga_scaler=1
fb_terminal=1
video_mode=320,8,32,24,240,4,3,16,6048
This seem to be less demanding and is displayed without distortion on the top of image. Probably more tweaking will improve the effect, but now it is good enough for my old crt.