The Verge Published an Article on MiSTer

Community created YouTube tutorials, interviews and helpful online information guides.
aberu
Core Developer

Re: The Verge Published an Article on MiSTer

Unread post by aberu »

Slipard wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 pm
dshadoff wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:46 am and whether it ever comes down again
Price bump has been said to be permanent by Terasic. This is, indeed, the first step of what I warned about and have been flamed for.
Not that I am happy to have been right, but well... :roll:
1. You claimed "too much coverage" may raise the price. There is zero evidence that this is the cause of the price increase.

2. You claimed that the "status was being abused" and that it was somehow "infringing on the license" it was being sold under. Really bizarre. This is what people reacted strongly to.

3. You claimed we are "parasitizing another company through the abuse of their system".

Zero people were "flaming" you for merely suggesting the price would go up. Your recollection of events isn't consistent with simply reading the thread. You came on strong and made ridiculous claims and people responded accordingly to those specific claims I summarized above. If anything, your claims you made were flames against the community.

:roll:
birdybro~
hiddenbyleaves

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Is it possible to go back in time to last week and buy a spare one before this price hike?
spicer

Unread post by spicer »

hope the verge didnt build it themselves, :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmfF0k2UcU

delete this if its offensive :P
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

hiddenbyleaves wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:35 am Is it possible to go back in time to last week and buy a spare one before this price hike?
You'll have to contact this guy to find out. Safety is NOT guaranteed!

Screen_shot_2009-10-09_at_4.42.45_PM.png
Screen_shot_2009-10-09_at_4.42.45_PM.png (77.07 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

june 2021 issue of EDGE magazine will also talk about mister

more de10 nano prices increasing incoming lmao
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

hiddenbyleaves wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:35 am Is it possible to go back in time to last week and buy a spare one before this price hike?
I added it to my cart on digikey when the other sites started raising their prices. Digikey honored the cart price days later :D
birdybro~
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

i had a complete bundle in my cart a day before the price hike with a popular US sellers website,
but then a day later they raised the price by $35 while it was in my cart :?

i understand the inflation for future DE10s, but i was kind of miffed because that site has a ton of those already in stock.
just seemed like a "bottom line" is more important than the customer kind of move.

but, its understandable, its their website and their business. they can run their site how they want
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

kfreiberg wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm You'll have to contact this guy to find out. Safety is NOT guaranteed!
He's clearly been back, to the 80s. I mean, just look at that hair, he brought 80s hair back with him. I might email him and ask him if, next time he goes, can he get me a Roland Jupiter 8.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

PikWik wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:37 am i had a complete bundle in my cart a day before the price hike with a popular US sellers website,
but then a day later they raised the price by $35 while it was in my cart :?

i understand the inflation for future DE10s, but i was kind of miffed because that site has a ton of those already in stock.
just seemed like a "bottom line" is more important than the customer kind of move.

but, its understandable, its their website and their business. they can run their site how they want
It's like gas prices when the oil prices rise. They raise those prices SUPER fast, way faster than would even make sense. :D
birdybro~
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I just read the MiSTer coverage in the new issue of The Edge. It was okay, it seems to be written by someone who is a regular user of this message board and someone following the developments as well as the drama. Nothing new for MiSTer fans but we aren't the intended readership.
Whenever the article mentioned the MiST it became misleading, till this day the MiST is alive and kicking as a platform getting new cores by Jotego whenever possible and machines like the ZX Next are released for the MiST as well.
What I missed in general from the article was a mention of entry level FPGA platforms. The MiSTer is clearly the most powerful FPGA solution you can find for multi core retro simulation but it comes at a price point that many people aren't willing to pay just to see if that fancy FPGA thing could be something for them.
On the other hand there are systems like the Sidi that lets you experience everything 8 and 16 Bit and that costs less then half of what you have to pay for a MiSTer and if you are only interested in 8-Bit stuff there is the ZX Uno+ a device in the price range of a Raspberry Pi4.
Many people are interested in trying out FPGA simulation but they only hear about overpriced (and unavailable) Analogue devices and the MiSTer a device they have to tinker with and that costs as much as something like a PS4.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

First I heard about the SiDi! I think there just may not be enough knowledge/hype about lower-end options but yeah, this looks pretty good. Missing CD cores but you got to compromise somewhere!

Something like SiDi looks way more promising for custom handhelds too.
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

For handhelds or other more compact/hacky form factors, ULX3S looks really promising, although I'm not aware of any organized core porting effort/framework based on it yet.
CeeDeeVee

Unread post by CeeDeeVee »

Bas wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:20 pm I bought a DE10 from some big electronics retailer, no questions asked. Only later did I find out about its intended purpose. Right now I'm taking my first baby steps with Quartus, Verilog and VHDL. Something I would have never done if it weren't for MiSTer. I never pretended to be in academia or industry and misrepresented myself in any other way. So why is this in any way an issue?
It's not.
Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.