Edge Magazine - MiSTer Feature

Community created YouTube tutorials, interviews and helpful online information guides.
UKd00d

Edge Magazine - MiSTer Feature

Unread post by UKd00d »

Hello,

I've been following MiSTer development for a year now, but thought I'd let you all know Edge magazine in the UK, one of the oldest and most respected gaming magazines in the world, have a huge special this month about MiSTer. They're very enthusiastic and complimentary about what the community and developers here are doing.

June issue - #358 - https://pocketmags.com/edge-magazine
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Edge Magazine - MiSTer Feature

Unread post by Chris23235 »

it was a nice feature, well done without any outstanding errors. I didn't liked the way they dismissed the MiST plaform as failed as the MiST development is still very much alive.

As I wrote in the Verge thread earlier (didn't saw your thread) I would love to see such articles mention the entry level options that exist besides the MiSTer. Many people aren't willing/able to spend 300 Euro or Dollar just to try if FPGA-Simulation is something for them. But there are devices in the 60-100 Euro/Dollar range that are a good starting point.
UKd00d

Unread post by UKd00d »

PressReader have the article available to read here: https://www.pressreader.com/australia/e ... 9533161844
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

great article.. thought it was funny this 'angry sorg' thing.. whenever I read his comments I think he comes over as having a great sense of humour.. dunno.. maybe it's me.. plus I like his cat.. :)
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Cool article, but man this pressreader site is the most annoying way I could imagine to read something like that. so... here ya go

Converted to PDF

https://docdro.id/bAYJCMf

EDIT: Changed formatting to make it look much nicer and fixed the weird inclusion of photo subtitles that were in the middle randomly with no photos, by removing them.
Chris23235 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:56 pm it was a nice feature, well done without any outstanding errors. I didn't liked the way they dismissed the MiST plaform as failed as the MiST development is still very much alive.

As I wrote in the Verge thread earlier (didn't saw your thread) I would love to see such articles mention the entry level options that exist besides the MiSTer. Many people aren't willing/able to spend 300 Euro or Dollar just to try if FPGA-Simulation is something for them. But there are devices in the 60-100 Euro/Dollar range that are a good starting point.
Personally... there are tons of articles around the internet on setting up a retropie or running emulators on your phone. I get what you mean, but I doubt anyone seriously considering the MiSTer hasn't heard of a Raspberry Pi before or other software emulation options before.
birdybro~
Chris23235
Top Contributor

aberu wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:54 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:56 pm it was a nice feature, well done without any outstanding errors. I didn't liked the way they dismissed the MiST plaform as failed as the MiST development is still very much alive.

Personally... there are tons of articles around the internet on setting up a retropie or running emulators on your phone. I get what you mean, but I doubt anyone seriously considering the MiSTer hasn't heard of a Raspberry Pi before or other software emulation options before.
I didn't meant software emulation systems like the Pi, I meant FPGA systems like the ZX Uno, SiDi or Mistica. The SiDi costs 80€ and gives you access to all MiST cores this means allmost every 8 and 16 Bit system. The ZX Uno is even cheaper it costs about as much as a Raspberry Pi 4 with a case. These entry level FPGA systems are an interesting choice for anybody interested in FPGA not willing or able to spend 200+ Euro.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Oh, you meant other FPGA systems. That's a great point, sorry for the misunderstanding. Yeah the SiDi is an excellent value. I think MiST is no longer a great value overall personally (but this is arguably still a good value, it depends), but still a great option, especially if someone sells you their used one for cheap. For consoles, the ZX-Uno is very limited by comparison but has many of the same console cores and quite a few Arcade cores.
birdybro~
Chris23235
Top Contributor

aberu wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:00 pm I think MiST is no longer a great value overall personally (but this is arguably still a good value, it depends), but still a great option, especially if someone sells you their used one for cheap. For consoles, the ZX-Uno is very limited by comparison but has many of the same console cores and quite a few Arcade cores.
If you want MIDI the MiST is still the cheapest option (and if you don't want to use it in the MiSTers ao486 core but the ST core it is also the best option because it is built in and you don't need adapters that can hurt the MIDI timings).
therourke

Unread post by therourke »

Anyone who wants to read the article in original format can grab a PDF here