Logitech K380 Keyboard won't remember bluetooth pairing

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
crabfists

Logitech K380 Keyboard won't remember bluetooth pairing

Unread post by crabfists »

Hello,

Has anybody managed to get a Logitch K380 keyboard to work reliably with MiSTer? The only way I can get it to work is by running the Bluetooth pairing script every time I want to use it. It won't reconnect automatically after I turn the keyboard off or restart the MiSTer. Also, after it's initially paired via the bluetooth script it fails to pair by using the F11 pairing dialog.

Running the bluetooth pairing script from the scripts menu gives me the following output:

Code: Select all

Got device: F4:73:35:40:D9:80
Pairing...

Removing existing pairing...
Pairing...
Authentication failed.
ERROR: Pairing failed
Add to trust list...
Connecting...
Done.
It pairs successfully even though it says pairing failed. I do not need to type any PIN number on the keyboard for it to pair. After this the keyboard works fine. However, if I reboot the MiSTer or turn the keyboard off and on again it fails to reconnect. If I try to pair again using the F11 pairing dialog I get this:

Searching...

Found: Keyboard K380
MAC: F4:73:35:40:D9:80
Pairing...
Authentication failed.
After that pairing message the keyboard does not pair and fails to work. If I run the bluetooth pairing script again from the scripts menu it will start working again.

Keyboard used: Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard
Bluetooth dongle(s): Belkin F8T065 and Aukru CSR 4.0 (CSR8510 based)
Hub: USB Hub 2.1 from misterfpga.co.uk
PSU: NorthPada 5V 3A

I've tried all the USB sockets in the hub with the same results. I've also unplugged every other USB device (except a controller needed to control the menu)

I have a Logitech K400 and that works fine without needing to pair, but then it has it's own USB receiver.

I also tried to use an Apple A1314 wireless keyboard but that has a similar issue, where it will not connect automatically once paired.

Is there a list of known working bluetooth keyboards that will reconnect automatically or is it pot-luck? Not sure if this is a software issue or a HW issue?
Another-Frank

Re: Logitech K380 Keyboard won't remember bluetooth pairing

Unread post by Another-Frank »

I have the exact same problem using a Microsoft Wedge Mobile keyboard. Help would be much appreciated as I finally found a reason to use that keyboard :D
Another-Frank

Unread post by Another-Frank »

I found a solution for my case, using the Wedge Mobile keyboard and keeping this error:

Pairing...
Authentication failed.
Add to trust list...
Connecting...
Done.
By default, the Wedge Mobile expects a passcode for pairing. When trying to pair with MiSTer this way, I get the above output (I also tried entering 0000[Enter] and 1111[Enter] with no success). However, there is a way to start the pairing mode without a passcode by holding the FN key and the BT button as the same time. Pairing this way led to success! The keyboard is paired and connects automatically even after shut down.

If you have the same issue, see if your device has a specific pairing mode without using a passkey.
MrMr

Unread post by MrMr »

Thanks for the Wedge info as it got me on the right path for the K380 (and the Wedge is the other large(ish) Bluetooth keyboard I have as well).

Looks like the K380 has "OS-adaptive" functionality for Apple/iOS (Fn + I) and Windows/Android (Fn + P). It must default to Apple/iOS on MiSTer, but holding down the (Fn + P) combo for 3 seconds allowed the BT pairing script to properly prompt for the 6-digit pairing code. Never got it to pair before, but it pairs without a hitch for me now. Maybe the recent back-end update helped with this, too - I can't be sure.

Hope this helps!
DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA »

MrMr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:03 am Maybe the recent back-end update helped with this, too - I can't be sure.
Yes, i think so.
Had the same problem with my Logitech Y-X5A77.
But since last update i've been prompted with a 6 digit pin.
And that did the trick.
Had almost lost hope :-) ...