Using Two Joypads for 2 Player *Question*

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
JudgeDrokk

Using Two Joypads for 2 Player *Question*

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

So, I'm putting a MiSTer on the BIG TV in the living room and want to have two wireless pads for two player fun.

I'm wondering - is is going to 'get messy' if these two pads are different models or are two of the same pad better?

I'm wondering as for instance the joypad mapping wont match if I introduce a 2nd pad different to the first likes SNES style and then a 8BITDO M30 as player 2 for instance?

Any guidance would be most welcome!

:-)
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Using Two Joypads for 2 Player *Question*

Unread post by rhester72 »

Mapping is per controller type, so that shouldn't be an issue (as long as both are in dinput mode, xinput is no bueno for mapping)
JudgeDrokk

rhester72 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:59 pm Mapping is per controller type, so that shouldn't be an issue (as long as both are in dinput mode, xinput is no bueno for mapping)
Thanks for that help! - Ideally the two pads will be an 8Bitdo M30 wireless mode 2.4g

and a Retro-Bit Sega Genesis wireless 2.4g
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

lol @ the big tv, don't forget to turn off the big light before you go to bed
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

i've had 0 issues with x-input mapping with my two retro bit wireless saturn controllers, they worked fine at least in the SNES core where i played some games with a friend of mine.
JudgeDrokk

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:41 am lol @ the big tv, don't forget to turn off the big light before you go to bed

LOL - "Alexa, Turn off the 'big light' :lol:
JudgeDrokk

MostroW wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:33 am i've had 0 issues with x-input mapping with my two retro bit wireless saturn controllers, they worked fine at least in the SNES core where i played some games with a friend of mine.
That's good to know...... I'm going to be using a RetroBit "Saturn" 2.4 and a 8BITDO M30 2.4 .
rhester72
Top Contributor

MostroW wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:33 am i've had 0 issues with x-input mapping with my two retro bit wireless saturn controllers, they worked fine at least in the SNES core where i played some games with a friend of mine.
...that being, of course, because they are identical controllers.

As soon as you introduce another controller into the mix that speaks xinput but has different mapping, well...you'll find out. :)
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

rhester72 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm As soon as you introduce another controller into the mix that speaks xinput but has different mapping, well...you'll find out.
I'd like to think that controllers all have the same mapping regardless of origin, isn't that why they introduced the virtual pad so that people could do this?
rhester72
Top Contributor

MostroW wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:26 pm
rhester72 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm As soon as you introduce another controller into the mix that speaks xinput but has different mapping, well...you'll find out.
I'd like to think that controllers all have the same mapping regardless of origin, isn't that why they introduced the virtual pad so that people could do this?
Absolutely, and its success hinges entirely on the fact that the virtual pad mappings map to *consistent* buttons _per input device type_.

So when I have two completely different controllers with different button layouts that both swear they are identical XBox controllers, what then? (That's precisely why you want dinput.)
lordoftime79

Unread post by lordoftime79 »

Honestly thats how I have my living room light named - and thats the exact command to turn it on or off lol also I am running a Retrobit saturn pad in Xinput and 8bitdo Snes pad in Xinput and other than having to change the ini so it dosnt merge the pids they both work for 2 player in the CPS1, Sega Megadrive, SegaCD, and Super Nintendo cores (havnt tried any others in 2 player yet as only had the Mister since Thursday)