DaemonBite Arcade stick with real coin mech!

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
redsteakraw

DaemonBite Arcade stick with real coin mech!

Unread post by redsteakraw »

So I recently made an Arcade stick using the DaemonBite arcade encoder software on a Arduino pro micro. I used an IL Eurostick and IL buttons with rolli leaf switches and you guessed it an actual working arcade coin mech, and I can tell you it is awesome. There really is something to using coins in the Arcade games the physicality and the sound makes it far more satisfying than pressing a button for adding coins. Does anyone want to know more or has any questions?

EbLjtgI.jpg
EbLjtgI.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
oV4fsBn.jpg
oV4fsBn.jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
uiyx1Lk.jpg
uiyx1Lk.jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
JaVN4Tu.jpg
JaVN4Tu.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
ThKqEPX.jpg
ThKqEPX.jpg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
Fear is the mind killer!
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: DaemonBite Arcade stick with real coin mech!

Unread post by Newsdee »

I second that. I used to have a coin mech wired inside a box to next to my supergun gaming setup. I even grabbed a few token from the local Namco arcade (while it was still open, RIP) to use with it :)
redsteakraw

Newsdee wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:38 pm I second that. I used to have a coin mech wired inside a box to next to my supergun gaming setup. I even grabbed a few token from the local Namco arcade (while it was still open, RIP) to use with it :)
I have it set to use quarters as tokens are not as readily available as they used to be :cry: I am using a IL / Happ coin mech which is modular and the mech is easy to swap out.
Fear is the mind killer!
felipus

Unread post by felipus »

Perfect! Playing arcade games with unlimited credits kills the experience. I saved for my MiSTer with a MAME bartop and a coin acceptor installed. Well, my friends played too. :p
jrronimo

Unread post by jrronimo »

This is a really fantastic project. Great job!
WolfgangBlack

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

Bally Aladin's Castle tokens are what you need to use!
redsteakraw

WolfgangBlack wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:27 pm Bally Aladin's Castle tokens are what you need to use!
Since the coin mech is a real happ / IL coin mech it is modular so to change to tokens would require getting a token mech and swapping it out which would take just a couple of seconds. That being said I don't have tokens but I have quarters. If I am able to get a batch of tokens I might switch to tokens or I might make my own design for custom tokens.
Fear is the mind killer!
WolfgangBlack

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

redsteakraw wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:02 amThat being said I don't have tokens but I have quarters. If I am able to get a batch of tokens I might switch to tokens or I might make my own design for custom tokens.
Aladin's Castle was the largest US chain of arcade stores and pretty famous.
It's cool enough just to have a coin mech.
Morfious

Unread post by Morfious »

can you show a picture of the actual board hooked up. I just picked up some Daemonbite boards to replace my iPac controller. Looking for guides/options. THanks.
bungerc

Unread post by bungerc »

Morfious wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:24 pm can you show a picture of the actual board hooked up. I just picked up some Daemonbite boards to replace my iPac controller. Looking for guides/options. THanks.
I'd love to see this as well...I have gone over the directions on GitHub and thought I did everything correctly but can't get the MiSTer to recognize it. I've never done anything like this before though so I am assuming I screwed up something somewhere. Basically this is what I did:

1. Soldered pin headers on the Arduino Pro Micro (Clone)...poorly I might add
2. Opened the Arduino program linked in the instructions here: https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder
3. plugged in the APM to my windows PC
4. After downloading files from Github to desktop, opened the .ino in the Arduino program, which also loaded the .cpp and .h files
5. Uploaded (I think) to the APM
6. Took the APM to my Arcade stick and attached wires from stick and buttons, plugged into USB hub on MisTer
7. Turned on MiSTer and tried to map buttons (but nothing has worked)

Anything glaringly obvious there? I am using a sanwa stick and generic buttons in a panel from Gameroomsolutions.com. The only thing I haven't done is hooked anything up to the 5v connection, as I assumed that was to power something like LEDs and wasn't needed for the board. If that's the simple answer it'd be great!
Tacoguy125

Unread post by Tacoguy125 »

Do you have some pictures of your wiring? I can post some pictures later. I ripped out my Ipac encoders and replaced them with DaemonBite arduinos too.
Can you confirm step #5? Arduino IDE should give you a verification. Are you using the right COM port?
lupin3rd

Unread post by lupin3rd »

Tacoguy125 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 pm Are you using the right COM port?
This is quite important, but you would have known if that was incorrect as an error of some kind should have cropped up. Also, did you select the correct Arduino device from the menu before building and transferring the code to the APM?
redsteakraw

Morfious wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:24 pm can you show a picture of the actual board hooked up. I just picked up some Daemonbite boards to replace my iPac controller. Looking for guides/options. THanks.
I soldered the wires I snipped from a JAMMA wiring harness directly to the Arduino Pro micro. I followed the order according to the github page where I took the source to program the arduino board. If you bought from Daemonbite you can just hook it up no soldering required or programming the Arduino board. I followed the PS3 stick compatibility layout picture when wiring the buttons.

board wiring pictures are on the following link.
https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder

Furthermore the arduino IDE should be set to the Leonardo board and you should just be able to compile then upload to board.
Fear is the mind killer!
bungerc

Unread post by bungerc »

Tacoguy125 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 pm Do you have some pictures of your wiring? I can post some pictures later. I ripped out my Ipac encoders and replaced them with DaemonBite arduinos too.
Can you confirm step #5? Arduino IDE should give you a verification. Are you using the right COM port?
I think I figured it out...I bought a 4-pack of pro micro clones and took a new one out, flashed using the same directions as previously (and confirmed all the things pointed out) and just set the header pins in instead of soldering them in...and I got the joystick and some buttons to register depending on how I held it. So my guess is my soldering job was so bad that no connections were being made. My iron is garbage (I was going to say hot garbage but I think its heating ability is part of the problem) so I ordered a new one on Amazon and hopefully I will get a better connection with the new boards and it will work. Thanks for the tips everyone!