SNAC (Snes) stopped working after plugging in a Cirka S91 Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
DrBrotpfanne

SNAC (Snes) stopped working after plugging in a Cirka S91 Controller

Unread post by DrBrotpfanne »

Hey everybody,

im using a MiSTer with the IO Board v6.1 and the SNAC Adapter (SNES) purchased from misterfpga.co.uk with a original Super Famicom Controller. Everything was working fine until i plugged a Cirka S91 Controller into the SNAC which was not properly recognized.
After switching the Controllers again my Super Famicom Pad isnt working either. The SNES Controller Test Rom shows all buttons pressed as default. The jumper on the SNAC is open (and always was).

I also installed Retrospy recently (https://retro-spy.com/wiki/setting-up-r ... he-mister/)
but I already tested another SD card with a fresh MiSTer installation to check for software errors.
I also tried an older version of the SNES core (which was recently updated).

Is it possible that the Cirka S91 damaged some components?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
grizzly

Re: SNAC (Snes) stopped working after plugging in a Cirka S91 Controller

Unread post by grizzly »

The "usb port" (OR hdmi port if that SNAC version was bought) on the SNAC is NOT a usb port electrically.
Same goes for the BlisSTer's HDMI ports, not electrically an HDMI port, it´s only used as a pretty sturdy/good connecting socket/plug.
So if something does not work after plugin in a real usb device something probably blew.

The next question then is what and where did something blew?
If your lucky its on the SNAC board if unlucky something on the DE-10/the FPGA chip (since SNAC is supposed to go directly to the FPGA).
What is more likely depends on if the SNAC board have any protection (i do not now at all if it´s good or bad tough) that can take the hit instead of the DE-10/FPGA chip.
DrBrotpfanne

Unread post by DrBrotpfanne »

Thank you for your input.
To clarify the Cirka S91 is an aftermarket controller designed for the Super Nintendo/Famicom.
I plugged it into the Snes Adapter which goes into the SNAC.
Mellified

Unread post by Mellified »

I posted about my problems with the Cirka S91 previously, but I didn't have any lingering problems with the SNAC afterwards.