Atari 520 ST used as a USB keyboard mapping issues on ST core - no problems on minimig

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
spikemorrissey

Atari 520 ST used as a USB keyboard mapping issues on ST core - no problems on minimig

Unread post by spikemorrissey »

I recreated this project https://github.com/devonshire/arduino-a ... d-keyboard

When connected to my PC all keys work as they should

When connected to the Mister Atari ST core, the keys mostly work - however one has to hold down the key for a second or two to register the keypress which I don't mind too much.

The issue however is with games on the ST core - most of them rely on the numeric keypad namely * and / to save and quit
however on the Mister these aren't registering at all.

As an update to this - when I use this on Minimig, the keypresses are in real-time and the numeric keypad works exactly as it should!

Does anyone have a solution for this please?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: Atari 520 ST used as a USB keyboard mapping issues on ST core - no problems on minimig

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Most likely, Arduino firmware has bug in keyboard HID implementation. It may work in some circumstances but fail in others.
spikemorrissey

Re: Atari 520 ST used as a USB keyboard mapping issues on ST core - no problems on minimig

Sorgelig wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:43 pm Most likely, Arduino firmware has bug in keyboard HID implementation. It may work in some circumstances but fail in others.
What would cause it to work perfectly in the Minimig core but with issues in the Atari ST core please?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

May be it generates key release code while actual key is still pressed. May be not always but in some cases.
spikemorrissey

Sorgelig wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:10 pm May be it generates key release code while actual key is still pressed. May be not always but in some cases.
Is there a reason why it would perfectly under Minimig on Mister as opposed to the Atari ST core?

It's very strange that an Atari ST would function perfectly as an Amiga but have trouble as an ST.

Does this mean this is a core issue as opposed to a Mister issue?
Sorgelig
Site Admin

It's Arduino FW issue.
spikemorrissey

Sorgelig wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:32 pm It's Arduino FW issue.
I'm terribly confused - I am using it on the Mister :

On the Amiga minimig core - it works perfectly - all the keys are in realtime and where they should be and this an Atari ST keyboard

On the Atari ST core, the keys on the main part of the keyboard need to be held down for a few seconds but the problem is that the numeric keypad doesn't respond so I cant use * or / to quit games and save states.

Why would it work perfectly on one core and not the other if it was the firmware that was the issue please?

Is there any solution to this for me please?