Playing around with the NES Lag Tester core (with some controller latency results)

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
sv650touring

Playing around with the NES Lag Tester core (with some controller latency results)

Unread post by sv650touring »

Here's what I learned trying out the Lag Tester Core procedure described on PorkChop Express's spreadsheet. His instructions aren't the easiest to follow, but they are correct. If you're having trouble getting real measurements, then either you've left something out, or done something out of order.

USB hubs didn't affect the latency results. I even strung 3 together and got slightly (0.01-0.02ms) improved results in some tests. But Fast USB polling absolutely did affect latency with 2-4ms improvements to the average in my tests.

The controllers I tested:

• Original XBox Controller S - Native USB but just a 7.2ms avg

"Sega" (probably a knockoff) Saturn-style USB controllers (marked SLS ISS-5001-01 on back) - 0.8ms average - nice

No-name translucent blue 2-port PSX-USB adapter - 13.4ms avg

No-name black 1-port PSX/PS2-USB adapter with guitar switch (for using Guitar Hero PS2 controller on PS3) - 9.9ms avg

8BitDo Zero w/CSR8510 - 14.1-14.2ms avg in all the modes I tried . Similar latency to other 8BitDo Bluetooth controllers

Mayflash SS/N64/PS2-USB adaper - the worst average 17ms (N64) 14.7ms (PSX) and 12.6 (SS), and VERY inconsistent, with frequent 60+ ms delays

* All adapter tests were done with genuine original controllers
Attachments
latency final.JPG
latency final.JPG (82.24 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
USB adapters.PNG
USB adapters.PNG (760.31 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Saturn USB.PNG
Saturn USB.PNG (680.46 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
catenaccio

Re: Playing around with the NES Lag Tester core (with some controller latency results)

Unread post by catenaccio »

Very interesting

Please, could you share that spreadsheet or tell us how are you doing these measurements??

Thank you
catenaccio

Re: Playing around with the NES Lag Tester core (with some controller latency results)

Unread post by catenaccio »

catenaccio wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:03 am Very interesting

Please, could you share that spreadsheet or tell us how are you doing these measurements??

Thank you
Found it!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0