Joystick mapping reversed

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
netbeui

Joystick mapping reversed

Unread post by netbeui »

I have an old HotRod arcade joystick that works great with my MiSTer but I was having trouble getting all buttons to work in any Street Fighter games. So I decided to rewire one set of the controls in the stick to a DaemonBite arcade encoder, I now have 2 USB cables coming out of it and it's now recognized as 2 separate USB input devices (1 is recognized as a joystick and the other is recognized as a keyboard).

I figured at this point it was pretty straightforward to just go through the joystick mapping instructions on the Wiki. After following all the steps I end up with either both joysticks controlling player 1 in the game or joystick 1 controlling player 2 and joystick 2 controlling player 1 :? :lol:

Here's what I did:

1. Boot up MiSTer, press F12 and choose Define Joystick Buttons from the menu
2. Push right on the left player's joystick then spacebar when asked for stick 1 tilt right and stick 2 tilt right
3. Enter all the player 1 inputs; right/left/down/up, A/B/X/Y, etc
4. Press spacebar when asked for mouse move left/down/up, mouse button left/right/middle, emu/sniper
5. Press spacebar when asked for menu button (I have to skip this step because for some reason when I try to assign a menu button the input quickly flashes past the next button assignment for menu ok/back)
6. Press button for menu ok (menu cancel flashes by too quickly to assign)
7. Press spacebar for Stick X tilt right/down

I essentially follow the same steps for the directions and buttons on the right hand side of the HotRod, although in this case it's recognized as a keyboard since that's the type of controller in the joystick.

After this setup I launch any Street Fighter game, open the menu and configure the buttons in the game. Then I press a button on the left joystick and the MiSTer menu shows MAP(P1) with all the button assignments. But when I press a button on the right side of the HotRod it says MAP(P2) with the same button assignments. If I start the game at this point both joysticks on the HotRod control player 1 in the game.

I tried going into the menu and choosing Reset Player Assignment, I then press one of the buttons on the right stick of the HotRod first and then a button on the left stick and now I can play a two player game. Everything works great but the left stick is controlling player 2 and the right stick is controlling player 1. :o :shock: :?

Any ideas why this isn't working for me? Could it have something to do with using a joystick controller for one player in this stick and a keyboard controller for the other player?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Tacoguy125

Re: Joystick mapping reversed

Unread post by Tacoguy125 »

While not addressing your overall question I would recommend reprogramming the arduino. I had a similar issue as your step #5 and had to change the debounce settings as described:

CODE: SELECT ALL

#define DEBOUNCE 1 // 1=Diddly-squat-Delay-Debouncing™ activated, 0=Debounce deactivated

See the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1010&p=9958#p9958
netbeui

Re: Joystick mapping reversed

Unread post by netbeui »

Tacoguy125 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 pm While not addressing your overall question I would recommend reprogramming the arduino. I had a similar issue as your step #5 and had to change the debounce settings as described:

CODE: SELECT ALL

#define DEBOUNCE 1 // 1=Diddly-squat-Delay-Debouncing™ activated, 0=Debounce deactivated

See the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1010&p=9958#p9958
This solved my issue in step 5 - thank you!