Picade

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Xzarian

Picade

Unread post by Xzarian »

Very specific to raspberry pi but curious if possible to work with a mister perhaps? Small one player bar top, looks interesting.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pica ... 0087489619
"MiSTer is not a garbage can with random functions used by 1-2 people."
-Sorgelig
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Picade

Unread post by rhester72 »

Picade is a self-contained Raspberry Pi and controller. What would you like to integrate?
vibes

Re: Picade

Unread post by vibes »

From a quick glance, it looks like the Picade uses HDMI for the USB powered monitor, and it uses regular joystick buttons that are meant to connect to a custom Raspberry Pi hat. It also uses push-in connectors for the speaker.

If that's the case, then you should be able to use it just fine with the MiSTer. However, you'll need a couple of things:

1) a USB button encoder to connect the buttons to, like the DaemonBrite arcade encoder. They're like $5-$8 each, so they're really cheap.

2) a way to connect the speaker to a TRS (or maybe even a TS connector, since it's just one speaker). You might also need an audio amplifier, not sure, though, since I'm absolutely no audio expert. But those can be rather inexpensive as well.

There are some other things you might want as well, for example if you want to have a nice power switch, but I'm pretty sure the above are the only things that are actually mandatory.

I was thinking about making something like the Picade, but building it myself. I would use an iPad 2/3 screen with a controller board, as it's a very high quality, nearly zero latency screen that's also 4:3, and getting my own Sanwa joystick and Happ buttons. If you decided to go this route, I'm sure it would end up being cheaper and also better, especially since the screen is very likely much better.