About azerty keyboard

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
franbour

About azerty keyboard

Unread post by franbour »

Hello,
I'm new on this forum and on MiSTer (I purchased the board one month ago). I have explored some computers' cores and I have always the same problem : all my USB keyboards are azerty (I'm french) and cores work with qwerty keyboards. I know, il is possible to re-map a lot of keys, one by one but it's a great job and I would like to know if there is a simplest way (other than buy a new keyboard of course).
Thank you for your suggestions.

Frank
lupin3rd

Re: About azerty keyboard

Unread post by lupin3rd »

I would try the suggestion on this page. The question here is referring to Ubuntu, but the distribution on MiSTer is a variant of Ubuntu, so I think this should work for you.
franbour

Thank you for your answer. After switching to linux (F9 key) and typing "loadkeys fr" all was perfect in Linux. Back to Mister and choosing a computer (Apple II, Oric) still with a qwerty keyboard. My problem is not yet resolved.
LeftEmpty

Unread post by LeftEmpty »

I don't know the exact process or hardware specifications for Apple II and Oric (two platforms I have basically zero knowledge of), but it probably requires different from a simple keyboard layout switch.
For instance, you need to insert the proper BASIC ROM into the MiSTer boot.rom (see the read.me for reference) to get AZERTY support on the CPC. (The process is roughly the same as setting up WinApe as described at this link : https://cpcrulez.fr/emulateurs_WinAPE_config_AZERTY.htm)
franbour

@LeftEmpty : thank you for your precious information. I'll take a glance this afternoon.