Xbox Series/Core Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Vicosku

Xbox Series/Core Controller

Unread post by Vicosku »

Has anyone tried one of these yet? I was curious after reading about the latency improvements listed here. I have one now, and have to say I am seriously impressed.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/ ... x-latency/

Indeed, it feels more responsive to me than the older Xbox Controllers that MisterAddons tested at about 6ms with 1000hz polling on Mister. In addition, the increased clickiness, bowl shape, texture, are all things I feel are improvements. I also find it less awkward to reach the dpad thanks to the redesigned overall controller shape that is slightly smaller. I think this may become my default MiSTer controller. I highly recommend others try it as well. I'm hoping someone is able to provide some scientific latency tests soon. MisterAddons is burnt out for now, it seems.

Latency Spreadsheet for reference.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... d=58959237
sofakng

Re: Xbox Series/Core Controller

Unread post by sofakng »

I have an Xbox Series (Core) (what terrible names!!) controller but I'm not sure I want to tear it open plus I don't know where the pads are to solder the buttons.

However, I am the one who tested the Xbox Wireless Protocol ('now' driver) for latency which is fantastic so I am wondering about the new controller.

I also need to see if Sorgelig will be releasing a new version of the MiSTer Linux Kernel with my changes so I can release my xow-driver installation script.
Vicosku

Unread post by Vicosku »

Yeah, that's a lot to ask. I've been using it wired, by the way. It would also be interesting to know if it truly offers less latency over the same wireless protocol as the old controllers though. Thanks for working on that script.

I wonder if there are more devices supported in recent Linux releases as well. For example, I have a Victrix Xbox arcade stick that works in Ubuntu 20.04, but not on MiSter. A general update would be nice.
EeK

Unread post by EeK »

I'm also curious about this ever since I saw that the Xbox One S controller (model 1708) is ranked 4th on MisterAddOns/Porkchop's latency tests, when using the Xbox One Wireless Adapter. I guess this is a recent development, as it certainly wasn't listed as high before.

Aside from how's the latency, I wonder if it's even compatible with that adapter, and if there's any difference between the old, larger adapter and the new, smaller one.
sofakng wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:03 pm I have an Xbox Series (Core) (what terrible names!!) controller but I'm not sure I want to tear it open plus I don't know where the pads are to solder the buttons.

However, I am the one who tested the Xbox Wireless Protocol ('now' driver) for latency which is fantastic so I am wondering about the new controller.

I also need to see if Sorgelig will be releasing a new version of the MiSTer Linux Kernel with my changes so I can release my xow-driver installation script.
Hey, I was about to ask on your other thread if you had managed to test this, since, as I mentioned above, the Xbox One S is now listed on the spreadsheet and ranking very high when using the adapter. I have that controller and the old adapter, and am now considering if it's worth to get a new Series/Core controller and the new adapter.
Shaneus

Unread post by Shaneus »

sofakng wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:03 pm I have an Xbox Series (Core) (what terrible names!!) controller but I'm not sure I want to tear it open plus I don't know where the pads are to solder the buttons.

Do you have this driver available, or the steps on how to create it? I built a new Linux kernel image yesterday but need the driver for the adapter for it to work as well.
silentheaven83

Unread post by silentheaven83 »

Does anybody have any news about input latency of this controller?

Thanks