Recommendations for reliable wireless joypad

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
jon.nielsen

Recommendations for reliable wireless joypad

Unread post by jon.nielsen »

Hello,

First off, I know this isn't a good solution. And I'll eventually get around to wiring up my original SNES and NES controllers to connect directly. But in the meantime I just want controls working. I figure this is something others here would have experience with.

So far I can only get a Genesis USB clone-controller working reliably. Anything wireless via Bluetooth or 8bitdo receiver usually doesn't stay connected long enough to finish mapping, and the config is never saved through the next reboot.

Ideally I'd get the SNES Online Switch controller working through 8bitdo, but I realize this is a long shot.

Any quick tips?

Thanks!
Sigismond0

Re: Recommendations for reliable wireless joypad

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

I use a SNES Switch Online controller just fine with a regular bluetooth dongle. Sounds like you might have an issue with your adapter or USB hub maybe?

That said, the RetroBit Saturn/Genesis 2.4GHZ controllers come with their own non-bluetooth dongles and work very well, as does the 8bitdo M30 2.4GHz model. They'd be probably the best wireless recommendation for anyone that wants to avoid Bluetooth.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

The 8bitdo m30 2.4ghz units have been reliable so far for me. I have them all connected via the mister usb hub. I never tried anything Bluetooth at all, personally.
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

RetroBit Saturn/Genesis 2.4GHZ with USB dongle is really poor. They always miss a frame. Better to go with wired ones if you are sensitive to lag.
Jack Burton, McGyver and Eniva tested a lot of controllers here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... IUrpfncXIM
danexpo

Unread post by danexpo »

8bitdo M30 2.4Ghz is the only one I've found to be decent.
twotone8

Unread post by twotone8 »

The m30 2.4g USB dongle version is pretty much plug 'n play, but it does have some significant input latency when used wirelessly.

There's a version of the m30 2.4g that uses a DB9 genesis/megadrive dongle, and has magnificent input latency over wireless. You do, however, need to figure out a way to connect it to your mister. Daemonbites are easy to put together, and there are other options out there for using original controllers.
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

twotone8 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:29 am The m30 2.4g USB dongle version is pretty much plug 'n play, but it does have some significant input latency when used wirelessly.

There's a version of the m30 2.4g that uses a DB9 genesis/megadrive dongle, and has magnificent input latency over wireless. You do, however, need to figure out a way to connect it to your mister. Daemonbites are easy to put together, and there are other options out there for using original controllers.
I have both the usb and db9 versions of the M30. To me, the latency of the USB one isn’t really that bad. Played a bit of Rondo of Blood today with a wired Genesis controller and also the M30 and I really couldn’t tell the difference in terms of latency.

I want to try the db9 version of the m30 on the MiSTer, but it seems that it’s not compatible with the 2600-daptor d9 I just got.
Cebion

Unread post by Cebion »

"some significant input latency" is a bit overplayed.
Most people really can't see a difference and can play through games like Punch-Out without problems
twotone8

Unread post by twotone8 »

Yeah, hooking up the db9 dongle through a daemonbite is a bit of a hoop to jump through. I'm glad the option is there though for folks who are sticklers for having the lowest latency option possible from a wireless controller. The db9 version is less likely to miss frames, which comes in handy when playing twitchy shmups. Many folks might never notice a difference unless they'r either looking for it or used to original hardware. I had been using the db9 version for a few months before I acquired the usb version, and it bothered me just enough to to pick a favorite.
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

If you’re getting random disconnects, it’s most likely either an issue of insufficient power on the USB port, or too many different wireless / Wifi dongles plugged in too close to each other and interfering with each other.
trashuncle

Unread post by trashuncle »

suverman wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 am RetroBit Saturn/Genesis 2.4GHZ with USB dongle is really poor. They always miss a frame. Better to go with wired ones if you are sensitive to lag.
Jack Burton, McGyver and Eniva tested a lot of controllers here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... IUrpfncXIM
The Bluetooth Saturn controller I have had no issues with. It might be a better option than the one with the dongle if you can get bluetooth working properly on your setup.
LFT

Unread post by LFT »

The BT Saturn pad is working great on MiSTer.
However the dpad broke after 2 months.
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

After playing with my M30 DB9 wireless version a lot this weekend (hooked up via the 2600-daptor D9), I’ve determined that the input latency feels significantly better than my other 2.4g and bluetooth controllers.

I’m going fully down the rabbit hole now and have ordered the parts to build a handful of daemonbite dongles. I’ll probably order 8bitdo’s new NES and SNES 2.4g controllers next month when they come out. Seems to be potentially the ultimate wireless solution.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

jon.nielsen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:06 pm Hello,

First off, I know this isn't a good solution. And I'll eventually get around to wiring up my original SNES and NES controllers to connect directly. But in the meantime I just want controls working. I figure this is something others here would have experience with.

So far I can only get a Genesis USB clone-controller working reliably. Anything wireless via Bluetooth or 8bitdo receiver usually doesn't stay connected long enough to finish mapping, and the config is never saved through the next reboot.

Ideally I'd get the SNES Online Switch controller working through 8bitdo, but I realize this is a long shot.

Any quick tips?

Thanks!
I found that the USB hub board does not play well with 8-Bitdo, plus bluetooth is too slow. What I found that works is I made Daemonbite console controller adapters. In my case I made Genesis and NES ones but you can make SNES also and Turbografx. I then got the 2.4G 8Bitdo M30 controller with the Genesis controller adapter. I hooked that up to the Daemonbite and bam I have wireless when I want and I can use the awesome OG controllers also when I want. It also has two ports so twoplayer is possible with the OG controllers just like the OG consoles. Best part is once you set it up no configuration required even when you swap out controllers.

Now you can make the adapters or just buy them yourself from the daemonbite store. https://www.daemonbite.com/shop/

Now as far as the Super Nintendo get the 8-Bitdo SN30 for original SNES then plug that into a daemonbite. I personally just prefer Genesis style controllers for everything but people do like SNES controllers. This setup gives you the convenience of of Wireless without the hassle of which mode the controller is set to or any of the other complexities. This also makes it easy to pair and get everything just work. I also would say stay away from retrobit wireless controllers as they are laggy as shit and the shoulder buttons are always crap. Also Daemonbite is releasing a temporary controller adapter with 2 NES controllers and 2 SNES controllers all in one adapter so you can try to get in on that or make your own. You can hit me up if you want to make your own adapters. https://twitter.com/MickGyver/status/13 ... 5958973440

Here are the controllers you need to pair with Daemonbite Adapters
https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN30-Wire ... 08536VCZL/
https://www.amazon.com/M30-2-4G-Wireles ... B07P9Q3MCD
https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-sega-g ... oller.html
Fear is the mind killer!
redsteakraw

twotone8 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:29 am I want to try the db9 version of the m30 on the MiSTer, but it seems that it’s not compatible with the 2600-daptor d9 I just got.
I am using the db9 version with my daemonbite adapter and it works perfectly. I love the setup as it works with the OG controllers and atari joystick. Isn't the daptor more geared towards Atari controllers allowing for all the different controller adapters. This is a great adapter but it seems more geared towards the Atari 2600 which has a great variety of controllers. What probably is going on is that the controller adapter is not outputting enough power through the port. Wireless adapters use the VCC pin and will use all the power they can get. Standard controllers didn't really use much power or in some cases not at all.
Fear is the mind killer!
venalaine

Unread post by venalaine »

Even if people say M30 2.4G is great, some people have reported pairing issues when using it. So it's not a perfect choice either.
redsteakraw

venalaine wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:55 am Even if people say M30 2.4G is great, some people have reported pairing issues when using it. So it's not a perfect choice either.
M30 with an USB adapter will have problems with the USB hub but the M30 genesis controller adapter version with a Genesis Daemonbite adapter it works perfectly.
Fear is the mind killer!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I've been using a DualShock 4 with a Bluetooth dongle and have had zero problems with it. It has a good amount of buttons for most cores, plus the analog sticks and trigger. And it has low latency.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

redsteakraw wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:25 am M30 with an USB adapter will have problems with the USB hub but the M30 genesis controller adapter version with a Genesis Daemonbite adapter it works perfectly.
Have you used the Genesis Daemonbite with multiple controllers? I have 4x m30 2.4 usb controllers, with the usual issues, and would gladly switch over to the Daemonbite adapter(s) if they work, at least for two controllers. Working with four would be even better. :)
redsteakraw

ash2fpga wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:41 pm Have you used the Genesis Daemonbite with multiple controllers? I have 4x m30 2.4 usb controllers, with the usual issues, and would gladly switch over to the Daemonbite adapter(s) if they work, at least for two controllers. Working with four would be even better. :)
I have both a 2player Genesis Daemonbite adapter and a 2 player NES adapter but there are 4 player SNES / NES adapters available. Yes Daemonbite works with multiple controllers. And since you get the native console controller ports having the ability to use OG controllers is a plus, I love the feel of the origional 3 button genesis pad, it just doesn't make sense for all games and has a cord. You can mix and match also using the 2.4g m30 on one port and a OG wired controller on another.

Here is the tweet about the limited 4 port version
https://twitter.com/MickGyver/status/13 ... 5958973440

Here is the Shop
https://www.daemonbite.com/shop/

Keep in mind you can make your own like I did with arduino pro micros and controller extension cords.
Fear is the mind killer!
geiger9

Unread post by geiger9 »

It could be your USB hub. Are you using the official 2.1 hub? I got mine about two weeks ago and I'm just about ready to sell it again because of all the issues it has with wireless. 8bitdo bluetooth dongle? Won't work period. A generic bluetooth dongle works fine as long as that's the only wireless thing plugged in but I have an M30 2.4ghz and those two dongles will not work when plugged in at the same time.

When I use my unpowered OTG hub, I can use my 8bitdo BT dongle fine alongside my M30 2.4ghz but I prefer the generic BT dongle because I can pair both my N30 AND SN30 to it.
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Not that i have much (actually, nothing) to compare to, but i bought the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ controller. It comes with a bluetooth dongle and it works great. Controller is superb in itself. My daughter was expecting it to be cheap and nasty, but when she picked it up she said, and i quote, "it feels like a real controller" :)

For anyone else who may have an idea on this. I have 1 small issue with it. Every time i reset the MiSTer i have to turn the controller off and on again for it to re-connect. Its like the MiSTer stops looking, or the controller thinks its till connected when it isn't. A quick reset and all is fine. This has mostly only been an issue during setup and config of the MiSTer, as lots of resets have been done, but now i can jump between cores without resetting its not so bad, but if theres a resolve for this i'd like to know it :) Thanks.
lordoftime79

Unread post by lordoftime79 »

I use a 8bitdo SNES Pro controller and a Retrobit Saturn controller both via bluetooth, I had to set USB polling to 1000 but once I did that there is no noticable lag versus using the same controllers on actual retro consoles using my 8bitdo retro recievers.
Mysterio

Unread post by Mysterio »

I tried out one of the Retro-bit 2.4GHz Saturn pads for several days, and ended up sending it back. At best the D-pad just felt sloppy to me, like it was too sensitive to the diagonals (I love the Saturn controllers in general and their wired version doesn't have the same loose feel to me). But the worst part was the directional controls would randomly lock up. It wasn't exactly losing sync because the button presses would still work, but I'd have to unplug the receiver and plug it back in to get the direction pad working again. It happened to me several times in just a few hours of playing so I returned it. Read through some of the one and two star reviews on Amazon and found several people with the same issues, yet lots of other people love it. Maybe they had a bad production run? Mine was brand new though.
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

Mysterio wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:02 am I tried out one of the Retro-bit 2.4GHz Saturn pads for several days, and ended up sending it back. At best the D-pad just felt sloppy to me, like it was too sensitive to the diagonals (I love the Saturn controllers in general and their wired version doesn't have the same loose feel to me). But the worst part was the directional controls would randomly lock up. It wasn't exactly losing sync because the button presses would still work, but I'd have to unplug the receiver and plug it back in to get the direction pad working again. It happened to me several times in just a few hours of playing so I returned it. Read through some of the one and two star reviews on Amazon and found several people with the same issues, yet lots of other people love it. Maybe they had a bad production run? Mine was brand new though.
I just bought a clear one for my SuperGun, but I'll give it a go on MiSTer and report back as well.