Build a Mr Spinner

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Brettster

Build a Mr Spinner

Unread post by Brettster »

I'm trying to build a Mr Spinner using one Atari paddle. I've built it like Sorgelig's example with the rotary encoder and this works great, but the encoder shaft is not long enough to fit in the Atari housing and its just too wide for the knob to fit on too.

So is it possible to use the original Atari Pot? Ive tried connecting the first 2 legs from the pot to A0 and A1 on the Ardunio pro micro and the 3rd pin to a GND point but the bat in Arkanoid does not move, am I missing something out or does it only work with a rotary encoder?
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
high-5

Re: Build a Mr Spinner

Unread post by high-5 »

I am also trying to build a Mr Spinner using KY-40 rotary encoder for Arduino. As the shaft is not long enough I have cut the paddle housing a bit. As knob I am using this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07DS6R13R/

Mechanically it is working well and it is recognized as paddle in Arkanoid core. But if I turn knob clockwise, Arkanoid ship moves left and vica versa.
I may have interchanged the spinner cables but instead of resoldering I would like to change it on the software side.
Tried several things in PaddleTwoControllersUSB.ino with no luck. Would someone know what to edit to shift left/right movement?

EDIT:

Code: Select all

rep.spinner = -val;
did the trick
Heatvent

Unread post by Heatvent »

Anyone using Mr Spinner for paddle support? I setup and can get my Atari paddles to work fine in Windows. But on the Mister, it doesn't seem to even recognize them when I go through joystick setup. Not sure if this is an issue with the PaddleTwoControllersUSB code or if there is some special setup in Mister to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Does Mr. Spinner use the Arduino Micro or the Pro Micro?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

This is confusing:
On Github it says Arduino Micro.
In the source code it says Arduino Pro Micro.

Another question:
What are the buttons for?
Heatvent

I believe you need the Arduino Pro Micro or a Leonardo because the Arduino needs to be HID compatible (based on the ATmega32U4). The buttons are fire buttons. If you think of an Atari paddle, you get a paddle and a fire button. I think Mr Spinner has 2 buttons per spinner (not sure what games use the second button). I am using it with Atari paddles and Mister recognizes the controller when I press the fire button.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Back to the source code:
The buttons are used to select the corresponding device (spinner or paddle). If built for 2 one can be spinning while the other is paddling. How cool is that?
I got a pack of 4 pro micros https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BJNV1J3/, there is even a review of someone using them for the DeamonBite controllers so I bought them with confidence.
Disaster struck: on my home PC (Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit) no driver could be found, I spent hours and hours but was unable to make the damn thing work.
On another PC (Window Professional 64-bit) the driver was found and installed right away. :shock:
I programmed 3 of them (NES/SNES, Arcade and Spinner), after programming they show up properly in device manager and are recognized in the Joy.cpl. As nothing is connected to them I cannot do much testing. Now it is time to build the QAD Mr. Spinner (Quick And Dirty).
The NES/SNES will have to wait until I receive my NTT controller and for the arcade I have not yet ordered anything.
Heatvent

If you are looking for a case for the adapter, I have one on Thingiverse that uses the Pro Micro and a serial port.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4706113

New link... issues getting things published on Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4706909
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks, but I will need to build an enclosure with everything: I had a spare Arduino and I have a bunch of optical encoders, pots and buttons in my junk box.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

jca wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:32 pm On another PC (Window Professional 64-bit) the driver was found and installed right away. :shock:
windows pro Xp/7/8/10?
Brettster

Unread post by Brettster »

I built my Mr Spinners with the pro micro, one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313154748757

worked fine with I used a rotary encoder.
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

grizzly wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:42 pm
jca wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:32 pm On another PC (Window Professional 64-bit) the driver was found and installed right away. :shock:
windows pro Xp/7/8/10?
Windows 7.
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

high-5 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:02 pm I am also trying to build a Mr Spinner using KY-40 rotary encoder for Arduino. As the shaft is not long enough I have cut the paddle housing a bit. As knob I am using this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07DS6R13R/

Mechanically it is working well and it is recognized as paddle in Arkanoid core. But if I turn knob, Arkanoid ship moves left and vica versa.
I may have interchanged the spinner cables but instead of resoldering I would like to change it on the software side.
Tried several things in PaddleTwoControllersUSB.ino with no luck. Would someone know what to edit to shift left/right movement?

EDIT:

Code: Select all

rep.spinner = -val;
did the trick
I tried to make sense out of the Mr.Spinner documentation, but I don’t get. Can you tell me how to connect the KY-40 (or two of them) to the Arduino Micro?

Best regards, Michael
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

lomdar67 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:56 pm
I tried to make sense out of the Mr.Spinner documentation, but I don’t get. Can you tell me how to connect the KY-40 (or two of them) to the Arduino Micro?

Best regards, Michael
Sorry for the post.I get it now. I was just a little confused because the pin layout shows both, paddles and spinner.
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan