8bitdo USB adapter and 8bitdo SN30 combo needs resync after MiSTer is powered on

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
venalaine

8bitdo USB adapter and 8bitdo SN30 combo needs resync after MiSTer is powered on

Unread post by venalaine »

I have 8bitdo USB dongle and 8bitdo SN30 wireless controller. The problem is that I must resync those everytime when I power on Mister. Is there any way to get these working without doing sync when I power on Mister? Both have latest firmware and I have tried to change modes (X-input & D-input). I have also 2.4g Genesis controller and it always works without need to resync.

Because 8bitdo USB dongle is quite popular, I think somebody has faced this same issue before.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: 8bitdo USB adapter and 8bitdo SN30 combo needs resync after MiSTer is powered on

Unread post by Sorgelig »

I have 8bitdo dongle - no such issue for me.
venalaine

Re: 8bitdo USB adapter and 8bitdo SN30 combo needs resync after MiSTer is powered on

This is weird issue. Same USB dongle works well when connected to PC. I have also 8bitdo SNES retro receiver and it works well in Mister when paired with this same 8bitdo SN30 controller. So it seems that the problem is somehow this 8bitdo USB dongle & 8bitdo SN30 & Mister combo.
venalaine

Some update... I lost my nerve with 8bitdo dongle and bought TP-LINK UB400. Same problem with it. Completely unusable because keyboard is needed all the time in order to run bluetooth pairing.
macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

I have 8bit dongle and SN30 using the Mister USB hub board and I found I had to unplug/replug the 8bit dongle each time (no resync needed)

I only have two plugged in, 8Bit USB and a Logitech Keyboard USB.

All I did was swop the two dongles around and now both work as expected.

so with ethernet port on left I have the 8Bit in the left most USB port and the Logitech in the right most port (nothing in the centre one) and have had no further problems. (I am using a 4 amp supply to power DE10 and USB board in case that also assists)
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
EeK

Unread post by EeK »

I have the 8BitDo M30 2.4GHz USB version (for MD/SG Mini) and I have to re-pair it with its receiver every time I power on the MiSTer.

I've tried plugging the receiver into different USB ports on the hub, but the issue persists. Conversely, I have the SN30 BT, paired with an Asus BT adapter, and that one remains paired at all times, so I guess we are having the same issue, only inverted.

What is this "SNES retro receiver" of which you speak? I thought 8BitDo only made SN30 controllers that connect to original consoles and the Classic Mini editions, using different 2.4GHz receivers; or to a range of devices, via Bluetooth.
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

EeK wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:49 am What is this "SNES retro receiver" of which you speak? I thought 8BitDo only made SN30 controllers that connect to original consoles and the Classic Mini editions, using different 2.4GHz receivers; or to a range of devices, via Bluetooth.
https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes/

It's essentially the Bluetooth equivalent of the 2.4 GHz console adapter. It can also be used with other host devices (PC/MiSTer/etc.) via a USB port. Since it handles the Bluetooth connection internally, it just shows up to the host as a game pad. It also works with some other Bluetooth-based pads (e.g. Xbox One X/S and DualShock 4).
venalaine

ExCyber wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:19 am
EeK wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:49 am What is this "SNES retro receiver" of which you speak? I thought 8BitDo only made SN30 controllers that connect to original consoles and the Classic Mini editions, using different 2.4GHz receivers; or to a range of devices, via Bluetooth.

It's essentially the Bluetooth equivalent of the 2.4 GHz console adapter. It can also be used with other host devices (PC/MiSTer/etc.) via a USB port. Since it handles the Bluetooth connection internally, it just shows up to the host as a game pad. It also works with some other Bluetooth-based pads (e.g. Xbox One X/S and DualShock 4).
Yes this is what I have. Even if it is meant to be used with genuine SNES and other devices with SNES style controller port, the receiver also has microUSB port and can be connected Mister by using microUSB-USB cable. However Mister does not see it as a bluetooth device but gamepad, and I think that's why it works without issues.
EeK

Unread post by EeK »

venalaine wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 am
ExCyber wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:19 am

Yes this is what I have. Even if it is meant to be used with genuine SNES and other devices with SNES style controller port, the receiver also has microUSB port and can be connected Mister by using microUSB-USB cable. However Mister does not see it as a bluetooth device but gamepad, and I think that's why it works without issues.
Ah, I didn't know such a device existed. I was only aware of their 2.4GHz adapters and the "Mario brick" BT receiver.

Regarding the pairing issue, oddly enough, I noticed that if my M30 is charging (connected via USB to a charger, not directly to the MiSTer), it will work immediately upon powering on the MiSTer, without any issue (I don't even have to turn the controller on, as it remains functional while charging, it seems). However, as soon as I unplug the USB cable, it will be powered off, forcing me to manually turn it on and go through the aforementioned re-pair process in order for it to work with MiSTer again.