8bitDo SN30 Pro+ Bluetooth gamepad

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
P207

8bitDo SN30 Pro+ Bluetooth gamepad

Unread post by P207 »

Greetings

I got myself for Xmas an 8bitDo SN30 Pro+ Bluetooth gamepad. I am having issues connecting it by wire to my Mister: it does not work. (I do not have a BT dongle for my Mister, so I tried to do it this way).

I was wondering if someone else uses this very gamepad on the Mister, and how. I would prefer to attach it to the Mister directly, but if I need a generic BT dongle or the 8bitDo one (I suppose that one would connect the gamepad even to my car :lol: ) I'd like to know, if anyone succeed doing it, exactly how: which dongle, what button to press, who to pay :lol:

Thanks in advance.
ExCyber

Re: 8bitDo SN30 Pro+ Bluetooth gamepad

Unread post by ExCyber »

I used mine with an Insignia (Best Buy store brand) Bluetooth 4.0 adapter. The model number is NS-PCY5BMA2, and according to Linux the chipset is BCM20702B. That adapter is plugged into a powered USB 2.0 hub, which in turn is connected to my DE-10 Nano via a USB OTG adapter.

I used DirectX mode (power up the pad with Start+B), but others have reported that XInput mode (Start+X) also works. Switch mode (Start+Y) doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure how the mode affects USB operation; maybe it's only a Bluetooth thing.

(past tense because I stopped using the controller due to silicone damage)
P207

Unread post by P207 »

It looks like I am getting older but not wiser. :roll: I've finally been able to use the SN30 Pro+ in wired mode.

I've even got it working through a 6 year old BT dongle I use for my PC. But as soon as I turned off the Mister, it did not pair anymore.
ExCyber wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:12 pm I used mine with an Insignia (Best Buy store brand) Bluetooth 4.0 adapter. The model number is NS-PCY5BMA2, and according to Linux the chipset is BCM20702B. That adapter is plugged into a powered USB 2.0 hub, which in turn is connected to my DE-10 Nano via a USB OTG adapter.
Thanks! I'll search for a BT dongle with that chipset.

ExCyber wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:12 pm I used DirectX mode (power up the pad with Start+B), but others have reported that XInput mode (Start+X) also works. Switch mode (Start+Y) doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure how the mode affects USB operation; maybe it's only a Bluetooth thing.
I was mislead by the manual that says that you have to do the power up thing, then press the pair button, then connect the wire.

After a few hours of intermission, so to speak, I tried again without pairing. I am not exactly sure what I did, but now it's OK.
ExCyber wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:12 pm (past tense because I stopped using the controller due to silicone damage)
What's that?
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

P207 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:07 pm
ExCyber wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:12 pm (past tense because I stopped using the controller due to silicone damage)
What's that?
The button switch mechanism, like most console-style controllers, is a molded sheet of silicone rubber with raised portions that act somewhat like springs. If the silicone under a button is broken or deformed, the button can sometimes fail to pop back up when it's released. This case is pretty minor, but it's enough to bother me on a Sengoku 3 1CC. I should probably just get a "real" arcade stick for this sort of thing.