Arcade Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Arcade Controller

Unread post by jca »

Does anyone has experience with the sticks and buttons from X-Arcade?
MysteryM10

Unread post by MysteryM10 »

I was going through all this looking for an arcade stick for mister, finally ended up on the hori pro v (the xbox one variant), absolutely fantastic stick. I was playing some of jotego's core and could immediately see the difference in accuracy from playing on a pad.

It was £104 quid on amazon (its on cheap at the moment) but I have zero buyers remorse - absolutely loving it!
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

werpu wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 am Btw. having the direct comparison, I prefer the feel of the Ultimarc J-Stick/Servo stick over the soft throw of the Sanwas any time. I probably will exchange the spring of the sanwa I have because of that.
Thank you, I will be on the lookout for these Seimitsu buttons.

I finished building my custom stick recently and the Seimitsu LS-32-1 stick is stiffer than a Sanwa JLF and has a smaller deadzone. Maybe that stick would be to your liking.
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Threepwood wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:16 pm I finished building my custom stick recently and the Seimitsu LS-32-1 stick is stiffer than a Sanwa JLF and has a smaller deadzone. Maybe that stick would be to your liking.
Please show us your custom build. It's always interesting to see what people come up with, especially the housing.
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
Threepwood

[removed]
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade/buttons ... ttons-rgb/

I can highly recommend these, they are silent unlike microswitches.

Illumination is great and if desired can be illuminated bezel with a black button using a replacement plunger cap.

I plugged my MiSTer into the Jamma cabinet today and the picture was great even without changing the resolution in the ini file.

I also just received these:

https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-control ... top-clone/

I will report on them when I get them working. Silent joysticks based on Sanwa sticks but with a USB hall effect sensor making them analogue but also programmable to 2 way, 4 way, 4 way diagonal, 8 way etc.
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

I would love to build something like the X-Arcade Trackball (still hoping for a Crystal Castles core someday ;-)). I think they don't sell those anymore:

https://www.retroblast.com/reviews/XTrackball.html

Maybe with an additional spinner for Tempest, Arkanoid, etc.

Any ideas where to get a housing for such a project?
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

The trackball itself seems to be available:
https://shop.xgaming.com/collections/ar ... sembly-usb
Regarding X-Arcade do you have any experience with their sticks and buttons?
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

All of those controls are available on Ultimarc to US, EU, UK

I just bought an illuminated trackball and Tempest Spinner - very nicely made.
Threepwood

Today I received a suitable 2000mAh battery (PS4 Controller Gen 1-3 replacement battery) for my arcade stick and it works great. Pairing via bluetooth to MiSTer with a standard BT dongle was no issue and everything worked instantly.

I have not perceived lag yet, which would fit Porkchop's lag test attesting the Brook Wireless Fighting Board an average input lag over BT of only ~5.5ms.
wreckk

Unread post by wreckk »

I recently got a Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro that I customized a bit. I love it, works great, feels great, etc...
neo-geo-stick.jpg
neo-geo-stick.jpg (940.59 KiB) Viewed 9817 times
Harrumph

Unread post by Harrumph »

I want to get an arcade stick but looking at posts here it seems like a bit of a rabbit hole... Scary lol :P
Tacoguy125

Unread post by Tacoguy125 »

Just an update to setting up my arcade sticks. I was able to update the firmware on my ipac2 and mini-pac to use Dinput/Xinput. These are in the Rec Room Masters Xtension 4 player board. I did not realize this is possible until researching more. Also I haven't bothered setting up players 3 and 4 but I will later, need some 4 player arcade games. :)
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

For MiSTer, real NES/SNES/Genesis (via their respective 8bitdo Bluetooth dongles) and Nintendo Switch usage I have this 8bitdo N30 wireless controller. I performed two modifications to it:

1) I hated the stupid Xbox-style stock button layout, it didn't result in a pleasant layout when using it with the 8bitdo NES/SNES/Genesis dongles, so I physically re-wired the buttons to get the resulting layout:
L X R RZ
Y B A LZ
This is the classic layout used in old SNES sticks, feels great for general usage.

2) I swapped the crappy all red buttons for cool Sanwa coloured buttons that match the classic Nintendo style. (Haven't swapped the stick yet, I read that it's a bit more involved than the buttons?)

The convenience of being able to simply swap between this stick and any of my 8bitdo DIY ModKit controllers (NES, SNES and Genesis) for any of the aforementioned platforms depending on the particular ideal of what I'm currently playing is pure bliss. :)

EDIT: Updated the photo to include the ModKits. These are the real original controller shells, but with 8bitdo PCBs inside.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_aa9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_aa9.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 9727 times
SpaceCowboy850

Unread post by SpaceCowboy850 »

So I just got my MiSTer Box set up last night, and I realized I had some old XBox360 USB fight sticks lying around - one from Street Fighter IV collector's edition, and a Hori Fight Stick Ex2 that I bought for the second player. Both USB.

The Street Fighter IV stick works fine.

The Hori one doesn't do anything - is there a guide or any tricks I should do to try to get it functioning? It would be great to not have to purchase another arcade stick if I have two that already work.
SpaceCowboy850

Unread post by SpaceCowboy850 »

Okay - I'm a noob - I went in and was able to define the button mappings. Everything else i had just worked, so this was the first one that hit me like this. Appears to be working now.
Psychobiologist

Unread post by Psychobiologist »

Tacoguy125 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 pm I have a Rec Room Masters Xtension 4 player controller. This device outputs the arcade controller inputs as keyboard keys. This 4 player controller registers as 2 keyboards and players 1 and player 2 are 2 different keyboards with their own hardware ID. Player 1 and 3 are keyboard A and player 2 and 4 are keyboard B.

I can only partially configure 2 users. (I'm not too concerned about 4 players right now.)The gamepad configuration does not let you go far into gamepad configuration.
Also I cannot manually map the F12 menu to a key combination or key for either player 1 or player 2. I have not found a MiSter option to manually configure input devices with a config file.

Does anyone have experience configuring this style of arcade controller? Is there a manual gamepad key mapping? I'm hoping I don't have to gut it and change encoders or whatever the process is if there is one. Thank you.
I've got this same board and am having similar issues. I can configure Player 1 and Player 2 via the F12 menu but I can't actually get player 2 to show up in any games. Players 1 or 2 on the pad register as Player 1 depending on which one I select first and then the other one doesn't respond. I'd also like to get this thing fully set up--especially with 4-player support eventually. Have you had any success since your original post?
silentheaven83

Unread post by silentheaven83 »

Hello everybody, does anyone have some hint for a relatively small and empty case?

Thanks
Tacoguy125

Unread post by Tacoguy125 »

Psychobiologist wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:18 pm
Tacoguy125 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 pm I have a Rec Room Masters Xtension 4 player controller. This device outputs the arcade controller inputs as keyboard keys. This 4 player controller registers as 2 keyboards and players 1 and player 2 are 2 different keyboards with their own hardware ID. Player 1 and 3 are keyboard A and player 2 and 4 are keyboard B.

I can only partially configure 2 users. (I'm not too concerned about 4 players right now.)The gamepad configuration does not let you go far into gamepad configuration.
Also I cannot manually map the F12 menu to a key combination or key for either player 1 or player 2. I have not found a MiSter option to manually configure input devices with a config file.

Does anyone have experience configuring this style of arcade controller? Is there a manual gamepad key mapping? I'm hoping I don't have to gut it and change encoders or whatever the process is if there is one. Thank you.
I've got this same board and am having similar issues. I can configure Player 1 and Player 2 via the F12 menu but I can't actually get player 2 to show up in any games. Players 1 or 2 on the pad register as Player 1 depending on which one I select first and then the other one doesn't respond. I'd also like to get this thing fully set up--especially with 4-player support eventually. Have you had any success since your original post?
I ended up replacing the internal Ipacs with Arduino Micros Pros as shown here:
https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder

You can buy a prebuilt kit but it is not too difficult to build yourself. This may not be helpful as I went in a different direction with my cab. This controller setup is less latency, more compatibility and easier set up long term for me as I'm using Mister instead of MAME now. Good luck!