How do you map 'c' and 'z' on 6 button Genesis controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Spartan

How do you map 'c' and 'z' on 6 button Genesis controller

Unread post by Spartan »

I am trying to map an 8bitdo M30 2.4g 6 button Genesis style control. I'm going through the process in the MiSTer button mapping/definition process, however I am never prompted to assign C or Z buttons. The image presented on screen during the mapping process doesn't exactly look like a Sega controller either. How exactly would one map a 6 button Genesis style controller or a 6 button Saturn style controller?
Attachments
IMG_5043.jpg
IMG_5043.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 3258 times
dmckean

Re: How do you map 'c' and 'z' on 6 button Genesis controller

Unread post by dmckean »

The answer I was given is that the C maps to R and L maps to Z. So the top row of buttons is mapped YXL and the bottom row BAR left to right.

I'm still unclear how we're supposed to also have shoulder buttons though. I guess this will all work itself out someday when the Saturn core drops.
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

I’ve also got a 2.4ghz M30 that I’m using for MiSTer, the type that plugs in to an actual mega drive. I think that it’s not possible to map the shoulder buttons and c and z separately on mine because the signal needs to be compatible with the original hardware. I think it can be done when plugged in via cable rather than wireless. Not sure if the USB version of the receiver is the same or not.
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

You just need to map these in the relevant cores directly.

You can properly map a 6-button controller in the Mega Drive / Mega CD cores for example; you'll be prompted for C & Z.