"Define joystick buttons" too sensitive for combos?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
edr

"Define joystick buttons" too sensitive for combos?

Unread post by edr »

1) Use "Define joystick buttons" in main menu (not a specific core menu)
2) Map various individual buttons, no problem
3) Try to map <DOWN> + <SELECT> combo to MENU

On some controllers it is very difficult to map the combo -> the UI is way too sensitive and it appears to map one controller key to MENU and immediately maps the other key to MENU OK.

Example controller where I had the problem (one or two other controllers same issue):
NES wired controller (from NES Classic mini) w/8BitDo Bluetooth mod + 8BitDo "orange brick" Bluetooth adapter

For this controller mentioned, I had to retry the mapping process 5-7 times before I was successful.

Is this an issue MiSTer would need to resolve in the UI? To make it more tolerant of combo inputs which arrive maybe not perfectly in sync?

Note: my fast USB polling is ENABLED, not sure if relevant.
bootsector

Re: "Define joystick buttons" too sensitive for combos?

Unread post by bootsector »

Give it a try with fast USB polling turned off.
edr

Unread post by edr »

@boootsector thanks! Will try with a couple of new 8BitDo NES Bluetooth (with shoulder buttons) controllers I'm receiving soon. Don't want to remap one of the already mapped controllers because they're working well :).
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

I have been running my mister with 500hz polling instead of 1000hz. I had been playing nes contra a lot before and after making that change. I do not have any hard science to back it up, but the controls felt a bit more "consistent" at 500hz polling.

I made a modified copy of the fast polling script to allow selecting the polling rate. It can be found here: https://github.com/ash2hub/Scripts_MiST ... ling_on.sh
slaps

Unread post by slaps »

I'm having this same issue with a SNES Switch Controller paired with an 8bitdo brick adapter (grey).

All buttons map correctly but trying to do Down+Select for Menu automatically sets "OK" to the same key combo. Haven't been able to get it to map to that button combo, with Fast Polling on or off (doesn't matter).

Is there a way to manually edit the input map file? Brought it into Notepad++ but didn't find an encoding setting to read it.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

slaps wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:11 pm I'm having this same issue with a SNES Switch Controller paired with an 8bitdo brick adapter (grey).

All buttons map correctly but trying to do Down+Select for Menu automatically sets "OK" to the same key combo. Haven't been able to get it to map to that button combo, with Fast Polling on or off (doesn't matter).

Is there a way to manually edit the input map file? Brought it into Notepad++ but didn't find an encoding setting to read it.
Don't know if it's any help, but you can map the SL/SR buttons as well. I just mapped menu to one of those, and it works like a charm.
slaps

Unread post by slaps »

Sigismond0 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:05 pm Don't know if it's any help, but you can map the SL/SR buttons as well. I just mapped menu to one of those, and it works like a charm.
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing ... the only issue is remembering that I mapped it to those buttons, as I use down+select to bring up menus pretty much everywhere else. Oh well.

The SNES Switch controller feels a bit laggy with the 8bitdo adapter anyway, and I have just gone with using it wired instead.
Miguel T80c

Unread post by Miguel T80c »

edr wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:49 pm 1) Use "Define joystick buttons" in main menu (not a specific core menu)
2) Map various individual buttons, no problem
3) Try to map <DOWN> + <SELECT> combo to MENU

On some controllers it is very difficult to map the combo -> the UI is way too sensitive and it appears to map one controller key to MENU and immediately maps the other key to MENU OK.

Example controller where I had the problem (one or two other controllers same issue):
NES wired controller (from NES Classic mini) w/8BitDo Bluetooth mod + 8BitDo "orange brick" Bluetooth adapter

For this controller mentioned, I had to retry the mapping process 5-7 times before I was successful.

Is this an issue MiSTer would need to resolve in the UI? To make it more tolerant of combo inputs which arrive maybe not perfectly in sync?

Note: my fast USB polling is ENABLED, not sure if relevant.
I can verify that a key combination is currently IMPOSSIBLE. I think the solusion is a slower polling for this action.
To urgently fix the problem, what is the current way to polling at normal speed?
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

slaps wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:49 pm
Sigismond0 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:05 pm Don't know if it's any help, but you can map the SL/SR buttons as well. I just mapped menu to one of those, and it works like a charm.
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing ... the only issue is remembering that I mapped it to those buttons, as I use down+select to bring up menus pretty much everywhere else. Oh well.

The SNES Switch controller feels a bit laggy with the 8bitdo adapter anyway, and I have just gone with using it wired instead.
Have you tried all of the different input modes with that adapter? Pressing a certain button combo will change the mode of the adapter (d input/x input/mac). I’m pretty sure the mac mode is the laggiest and either x or d input is the lowest.
slaps

Unread post by slaps »

ItalianGrandma wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:53 pm Have you tried all of the different input modes with that adapter? Pressing a certain button combo will change the mode of the adapter (d input/x input/mac). I’m pretty sure the mac mode is the laggiest and either x or d input is the lowest.
Thanks, yep, I'd already tried that. The Switch SNES Controller just doesn't work super great on MiSTer, even in wired mode it feels a bit off.
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

slaps wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:54 am
ItalianGrandma wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:53 pm Have you tried all of the different input modes with that adapter? Pressing a certain button combo will change the mode of the adapter (d input/x input/mac). I’m pretty sure the mac mode is the laggiest and either x or d input is the lowest.
Thanks, yep, I'd already tried that. The Switch SNES Controller just doesn't work super great on MiSTer, even in wired mode it feels a bit off.
Yeah, it’s really unfortunate. It would be cool if someone came out with a mod for it (probably a small solder on board or something) that could make the controller perform better wired or wireless.
RobitGames

Unread post by RobitGames »

I'm running into a similar, but different, problem trying to map a custom built arcade controller.

I'm also using "Define joystick buttons" in main menu. I'm using DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder.

I can define most of the buttons no problem but when it reaches certain buttons (like the mouse or menu buttons) it seems to be registering one button press many times. It's quickly defining a number of inputs to one button even though I just pressed the button once. I'm pretty sure it's not my controller because I've tried various combos and all my buttons work if they are defined to d-pad or regular button inputs.

I do not have USB polling enabled.

Any ideas? I'd also be fine with manually editing the .MAP files but I'm couldn't find any info about that, either.

RobitGames

I'm still having this problem and unable to define my custom DaemonBite controller. I captured some video footage showing the issue: https://youtu.be/oMiaPx_cQzg

Specifically look at time-codes 0:28, 0:44 and 1:20 to see where its quickly skipping over some inputs. It defines them all to the last button pressed.

paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

RobitGames wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 pm

It's quickly defining a number of inputs to one button even though I just pressed the button once.

Enable debounce: https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite ... no#L29-L30

RobitGames

paulbnl wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:49 am

Enable debounce: https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite ... no#L29-L30

That did the trick! Thank you. Do you suggest tweaking the DEBOUNCE_TIME or leaving it at the 10ms default?

paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Oops late reply. If you don't have problems then you can leave it at the default. It should be increased if you still get multiple button presses. It doesn't add lag anyway and 10ms allows for 100 presses per second which is humanly impossible.