SNAC not working with SNES Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
PikWik

SNAC not working with SNES Controller

Unread post by PikWik »

hey there!
i have a strange SNAC problem with a OEM SNES controller that has me stumped :oops:

i have 2 original SNES controllers (the same 2 controllers that came with my SNES from the 90s).
one controller works without issue but has seen better days, PCB input contacts are worn, and shell is banged up.

the beatup controller works just fine with the MiSTer via SNAC, but the gently used controller is registering button presses all kinds of weird.
L trigger is registering as X
R trigger is registering as L Trigger
Y is Y
B is B
A doesn't register any button being pressed at all
X is A
Start/Select are registering correctly
and the d-pad functions correctly as well

and yes both controllers work just fine on my SNES (just tested again to verify)

i have heard solutions about SNAC problems being remedied after installing an old version of a SNES core, but just today the SNES core was updated to a 20210222 and still has the same issue ... :?:

again, both controllers work just fine on my SNES, but only one of them functions with correct button presses using SNAC on the MiSTer
PikWik

Re: SNAC not working with SNES Controller

Unread post by PikWik »

as an update, i tried a bunch of different versions of the SNES core,

SNES_20200530.rbf
SNES_20200908.rbf
SNES_20201027.rbf
SNES_20201106.rbf
SNES_20210121.rbf
SNES_20210210.rbf
SNES_20210222.rbf

same issue with button presses on one OEM controller

-----------------------

i also asked this same question in the MiSTer discord, and someone posted the bits list for a SNES controller

0 - B
1 - Y
2 - Select
3 - Start
4 - Up
5 - Down
6 - Left
7 - Right
8 - A
9 - X
10 - L
11 - R

which looking at that and comparing to what im seeing, there is a pattern, and inputs are shifted 1 down starting at input 8.
it seems like an issue with the SNAC at this point, but the SNAC works hot-swapping with the "good controller" while in a game

it could be an issue with slightly low voltage due to old connections on the PCB.
i will try to reflow the IC legs and cable connector solder points sometime soon and report back if that fixed it