GUN2CRT, the new universal CRT lightgun adapter

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Matsu

Re: GUN2CRT, the new universal CRT lightgun adapter

Unread post by Matsu »

3 questions, regarding various peripherals/controllers:

Would it be possible to add Namco Paddle/Volume controller support? That would be great for Arkanoid and other cores that support it.

I have an arcade stick with a Cthulhu pcb, that supports legacy console including PS1. It's plug and play an recognizes which console is connected (if you use the correct rj45 cable).
Will it act the same with Gun2CRT and think it's connecting to a PS1?

And finally, I have an official Saturn controller for PS1. Can you make this work?

This device is already a dream come true, but additional support for any of these above would be tremendously awesome.
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

following this for when its released.
JayBee

Unread post by JayBee »

Matsu wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:07 pm 3 questions, regarding various peripherals/controllers:

Would it be possible to add Namco Paddle/Volume controller support? That would be great for Arkanoid and other cores that support it.

I have an arcade stick with a Cthulhu pcb, that supports legacy console including PS1. It's plug and play an recognizes which console is connected (if you use the correct rj45 cable).
Will it act the same with Gun2CRT and think it's connecting to a PS1?

And finally, I have an official Saturn controller for PS1. Can you make this work?

This device is already a dream come true, but additional support for any of these above would be tremendously awesome.
Yeah any native controller should work on it, it's just a matter of adding them to the list of detected devices in my firmware.
For the Cthulhu, I'd say it should work too, but I am not entirely sure.
I do have one too so I might test that out.
I'd be curious to know how is the latency of the PSX port vs usb on the Cthulhu tho.
My adapter should have super low latency (less than 1ms), but the Cthulhu itself is encoding the buttons to the psx port protocol.
Matsu

Unread post by Matsu »

That's great to hear. Hope you can get your hands on a Volume controller or find someone who can give you the needed data :)

The Cthulhu doesn't score that well in some lag tests. But I never really noticed it myself. It still would be cool if it works.
I'm already thinking of just swapping it out with a Brook Retro Board for ease of use. Works better with PC too.

Follow up question: Have you considered making a GUN2CRT version with 2 controller ports? Is this even possible?
JayBee

Unread post by JayBee »

Matsu wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 pm That's great to hear. Hope you can get your hands on a Volume controller or find someone who can give you the needed data :)

The Cthulhu doesn't score that well in some lag tests. But I never really noticed it myself. It still would be cool if it works.
I'm already thinking of just swapping it out with a Brook Retro Board for ease of use. Works better with PC too.

Follow up question: Have you considered making a GUN2CRT version with 2 controller ports? Is this even possible?
Yeah I will test as soon as I can for the Cthulhu.
For the 2 controller ports... That's actually what I am working on lately. More info coming soon :D
mrchrister

Unread post by mrchrister »

Man, this is exciting news. Too bad I just bought 2x Gcon2s... :cry:
JayBee

Unread post by JayBee »

mrchrister wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:03 am Man, this is exciting news. Too bad I just bought 2x Gcon2s... :cry:
Don't lose hope. I said before the guncon2 won't be supported for now, but once I finish this prototype you never know what can happen :mrgreen:
Matsu

Unread post by Matsu »

Neat! This is gonna be huge, excellent news :D
Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

Hello !
Very nice project, any news :roll:
When i saw this project i bought two guncon, there are waiting for action now :D
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

mrchrister wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:03 am Man, this is exciting news. Too bad I just bought 2x Gcon2s... :cry:
Guncon2 support should be implemented directly in mister's linux... Same way a wiimote's driver is implemented directly.
I was trying to do this but I don't have much experience in writing kernel driver.
But I got the Guncon2 and also the Guncon3 working in the mister by running a python script. Not ideal but works.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/399
Loukey

Unread post by Loukey »

Can’t wait to see this.
El_Syd

Unread post by El_Syd »

JayBee wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 pm
retrorepair wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 pm
JayBee wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:04 pm
Yes the G-Con45 is the model 1 :mrgreen:
For now it will be focusing on this model yes, but I might try other guns eventually once this one is fully supported.
Surely gcon2 will work with a linux driver as a HID mouse. You'd only need an adapter for composite sync.

I've actually done this before on linux, I'm not sure how to compile a linux driver for MiSTer though.
It can be done, but usually has more latency, require manual adjustments to match each resolution, and can't really work reliably with games that require screen flashing.
The whole point of my system is not requiring those, it should be plug it and forget it :mrgreen:
lomdar67 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:15 pm Hi,

how would the setup be for a CRT TV with RGB Scart?

From Mister VGA to your GUN2CRT and then into something like that: https://hackaday.io/project/165634-the- ... rt-adapter and from there into the TV Scart connector?

Best regards,
Michael
Almost, it will be
MiSTer == VGA ==> GUN2CRT ==VGAtoSCART==> TV
Or
MiSTer == VGA ==> GUN2CRT ==GenesistoSCART==> TV
Since my system should have both.
Note that it's not decided yet if the RGBs out will be genesis type or something else.
For people using Direct Video, would the setup be something like this?

MiSTer --> HDMI cable --> HDMItoVGA converter --> VGA cable --> GUN2CRT --> VGAtoSCART cable --> TV
zorrobandito

Unread post by zorrobandito »

I see that native support for GCon2 has been added but I'd still like an adapter for the GCon45 I already have... any news?
Looneybinjim

Unread post by Looneybinjim »

Awesome! Count me in on this, would love to Beta test if needed. I have many lightguns and crts!
Hat

Unread post by Hat »

I'm super excited for this. I have a old presentation CRT TV which is basically an 800x600 monitor that I've been breaking my head over for the past few months trying to getting my Guncon 1s to work. viewtopic.php?t=5426
I'm hoping this can end my pain.
ksdomino

Unread post by ksdomino »

Op hasn't posted in this thread in 7 months so in the hopes that this project is still alive in some way I'd like to register my interest too..Am happy to buy and test -I have hdmi to vga into crt (no scart) so this adapter would be ideal.
rax

Unread post by rax »

Hi JayBee,

I'm impressed by your work.

I have a 70cm VGA CRT, it accepts 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions only.

I would like to use a LightGun on it using a PC.

If you can tell me that it will work with this kind of configuration, I am very interested in your device.

Thanks in advance for your reply.