8BitDo M30 2.4g USB - need older firmware 3.07

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
edr

8BitDo M30 2.4g USB - need older firmware 3.07

Unread post by edr »

I updated my 8BitDo M30 2.4g USB (aka Genesis Mini) controller from firmware 3.07 to latest firmware 3.10 (because I needed new problems I didn't already have).

After the update, the mode/select (center) and home/menu (right) small buttons are now sending the same button code. Both buttons cause the same action in MiSTer now, and I confirmed by seeing both buttons show up as "Button 9" in OpenEmu controller mapping running on MacOS.

8BitDo don't provide the older firmware anywhere I can find (I emailed them also, will see if they respond).

If anyone has the older firmware (3.07 I think) would be very appreciative. The newest one is named "M30_2.4G_mini_Receiver_Firmware_V3.10.zip" so I'd guess the older one, if it's out there, might be named "M30_2.4G_mini_Receiver_Firmware_V3.07.zip" but I don't know for sure.

Thanks!
redsteakraw

Re: 8BitDo M30 2.4g USB - need older firmware 3.07

Unread post by redsteakraw »

well the old adage is if it isn't broken don't fix it. I unfortunately don't have the firmware and checked the wayback machine and it seems like that firmware isn't even mentioned on any of the snapshots the first mention of the USB 2.4g M30 has only a manual download and the next snapshot with that has the 3.10 firmware. I guess you will have to wait on 8BitDo
Fear is the mind killer!
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

I have an older version (2.00) that doesn't have the issue you describe, at least. Hope it's useful: https://gofile.io/d/K1Hfc5

Edit: actually this one is a little newer than the one I've linked above and it should also not have those issues: http://download.8bitdo.com/Firmware/Con ... rmware.zip
edr

Unread post by edr »

@redsteakraw thanks for checking, really appreciate it.

@bootsector thanks for uploading those. Believe they're for the Genesis OG port style receiver (v2.x firmware), and not the USB (aka Genesis mini) receiver that I have (v3.x firmware).

8BitDo sent me the 3.07 firmware. I applied it once on Windows 7, but the controller button mapping for those 2 buttons was still showing identical under OpenEmu.

So I decided to apply it again but using my Linux box. Receiver appeared as /dev/sdb, I mounted it and copied the firmware to it. Everything appeared to work fine but the red blinking light on the receiver never stopped, and after I unplugged and replugged the receiver, the receiver is completely dead (no light at all).

I tried pairing the M30 controller with the 2.4g receiver from the 8BitDo TG16 controller (turn on M30, hold the mode/select button for a few seconds). It pairs, but the TG16 receiver only recognizes a few of the buttons of the M30 controller, so that's not going to work. The 2.4g receivers (or at least their firmware) appear to be controller specific, and I'm not going to risk killing another receiver by trying to flash it with a different type of firmware :).

What's really unfortunate is 8BitDo doesn't sell 2.4g receivers. They only come with controllers. Inexcusable or if that's too strong a word, super super crappy. Clearly these receivers can and do die since I've just killed one, and then you're left with a controller that's only good for throwing at the TV.
redsteakraw

FYI my ideal setup is using the OG Genesis port M30 with daemonbite adapters so I can also use the OG controllers. I did it that way because I didn't want to switch modes, I wanted it to be as simple as possible and as low latency as possible. That and 8Bitdo does weird things with USB and I don't trust their USB receivers / firmware. So far my setup was literally plug and play.
Fear is the mind killer!
edr

Unread post by edr »

@redsteakraw those are great options. The 8BitDo receivers definitely do weird things, sometimes repeating a control input until I power cycle the MiSTER once or twice and the receiver is finally recognized properly. And with some of the wireless 8BitDo receivers I have to turn the controller off and on again if I reboot or power cycle the MiSTer - even though the controller light is solid (connected), the controller is not working in MiSTER until I power cycle the controller.

At least my M30 controller is still usable via an (Anker 10ft) micro USB cord - I did have to remap the controller in MiSTer since it seems controllers show up differently to MiSTer when used with a cord instead of a wireless receiver.

Other controllers that would work are the Retro-Bit Sega Saturn wireless controller (comes with 2 receivers, 1 USB 1 OG Saturn), and the Krikzz Genesis 2.4g controller (OG Genesis receiver) that would work with Daemonbite or with the clunky-looking Raphnet (raphnet-tech.com) Megadrive/SMS/Atari controller to USB adapter (v2).

Too bad so many wireless options have issues, esp. the 8BitDo stuff. The wireless dream won't die, but neither does it really live. Bonus 8BitDo weirdnesses. Some of their NES-style controllers have extra autofire buttons. The repeat rate of these autofire buttons is different between some different models at least the ones I tried, for ex. the N30 bluetooth (with shoulder buttons) has a very nice and fast repeat rate. The N30 2.4g for NES Classic has a slow autorepeat rate (too slow for GnG :) Many of the 8BitDo wireless controllers work wired over USB cables, but not all! The N30 bluetooth will not work cabled. Some of these differences are documented in 8BitDo faqs/manuals, but not always, and not always accurately.
redsteakraw

Where I am at is this, if I am going to go wired I might as well go with the OG controller. If I want to go wireless then I should have a controller that can play most of the library. I don't want to wrestle with USB configurations and other BS so what I come to is that Daemonbite + the OG wireless controller. The other reason to go that route is that it as far as I know is the lowest latency route according to the MisterAddons latency tests. I would highly recommend getting or making a Daemonbite adapter. I made two a two player Genesis adapter and a 2 player NES adapter already and a third arcade stick with a real working coin mech. I am debating on which one to make next 2p SNES or 2p Saturn adapter next.

On the retrobit front I have to say I will never go with them again the wireless 2.4g genesis style 8-button arcade pad controller has the worst shoulder buttons I have ever seen and they will break if you drop the controller from a 1.5 foot or 1/2 Meter height. I had to track down the button part and replace it, so I am not a fan. Great packaging, and a wonderful form factor but everything else I am less than pleased about. Their latency tested makes them less than desirable.
Fear is the mind killer!
edr

Unread post by edr »

That totally makes sense on the OG wired controllers - it removes any possible paranoia real or imagined we all feel about latency. The only "kinda OG" wired controllers I have are NES Classic and SNES Classic wired controllers (circa 2019) with the Wii style connectors - ordered and should soon receive a couple of RaphNet's adaptors for those, so I'll be able to have a pretty OG wired Nintendo experience with those. Decently happy with the 8BitDo M30 over the USB cable right now. Tried and found out that the Krikzz wireless controller for the OG Genesis will not work wired - too bad since it has a very authentic feel. Daemonbite sounds like a fun project, will look into that, maybe I'll get some shells printed at Shapeways or other printing service.

Good feedback on retrobit, I already have 2 of their Saturn controllers (smoke shells w/pink start button) but still unopened in box so they can always go back to the ReBay where they came from.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

My Saturn retrobit has been fine so far but I haven't been dropping it much. The M30 D-pad is known to disintegrate so you might want to hold onto one of the saturn controllers in case that happens.
redsteakraw

edr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 pm That totally makes sense on the OG wired controllers - it removes any possible paranoia real or imagined we all feel about latency. The only "kinda OG" wired controllers I have are NES Classic and SNES Classic wired controllers (circa 2019) with the Wii style connectors - ordered and should soon receive a couple of RaphNet's adaptors for those, so I'll be able to have a pretty OG wired Nintendo experience with those. Decently happy with the 8BitDo M30 over the USB cable right now. Tried and found out that the Krikzz wireless controller for the OG Genesis will not work wired - too bad since it has a very authentic feel. Daemonbite sounds like a fun project, will look into that, maybe I'll get some shells printed at Shapeways or other printing service.

Good feedback on retrobit, I already have 2 of their Saturn controllers (smoke shells w/pink start button) but still unopened in box so they can always go back to the ReBay where they came from.
If you can solder I would say it is definitely worth a weekend project or a rainy day. I made mine from an arduino pro micro and console extension cords that I stripped and soldered one end of the wire and soldered it to the arduino pro micro. Now for SNES or NES you can have up to 4 controller ports per arduino. I didn't have an enclosure so I just wrapped everything in electrical tape to protect the board and wires. I also wraped the colored electrical tape around the second player port so I can tell the difference. I mainly use my genesis one but I do use the NES one for NES or turbographx games. I may get a raphnet adapter but only for the Atari because the atari 2600 had so many varied controllers and the Raphnet adapter can handle them all. I wish there was a wii daemonbite but none so far. I litterally only have the classic pro controller that utilizes that port(which at the time was a ripoff because so few games used it).
Fear is the mind killer!
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:59 pm My Saturn retrobit has been fine so far but I haven't been dropping it much. The M30 D-pad is known to disintegrate so you might want to hold onto one of the saturn controllers in case that happens.
So great irony my freaking retrobit d-pad broke. Looked online and saw people complain about the cheap d-pad plastic that I never saw before...

Anyway I just got a m30 2.4ghz USB like the OP and made the same "mistake" of updating the reciever firmware. Except I'm not sure that the select/home buttons were ever considered separate by the receiver. I set up the keys in steam before updating firmware, and even though I went down the list, assigning home to guide and minus to select, when I checked the setup again home was undefined. I'm guessing that this happened because select was the same button code and it came lower in the list, though I wasn't paying attention at the time so can't be certain. Would like to go back in time to confirm but I'm not sure I'm about to go through return process. Maybe if someone was sure both buttons were actually working separate before...

In additional oddness the updated receiver distinguishes the buttons fine on nintendo switch. Home is home and minus is select there.

Edit: also occurred to me my receiver might have shipped updated for all I know. Whether a "new" batch or Amazon return!
Dafoof

Unread post by Dafoof »

Hey,
About the select and mode buttons returning the same input, it is not (or at least, shouldn't) be a firmware issue. I encountered the exact same issue, contacted them and... it is a hidden feature (not documented anywhere) of the pad. Their products tend to have a few of these, and why they don't mention it at all, even in the FAQ, is beyond me, as it makes their controllers better products.

Hold the following combos for about 5s to swap from Switch mode to Genesis mini mode:
HOME+LEFT: Switch MODE
HOME+DOWN: Genesis mini MODE

In Switch mode, the select and mode buttons are separate. As simple as that... at least it did the trick for me, on my MiSTer.
Cheers,

PS: note that they are identified as different controllers by MiSTer, so you will have to redo your mappings.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Awesome tip! Fortunately the receiver remembers your setting, so this is minimal hassle! (Maybe update firmware reset which mode was default?)

Steam recognizes this mode as a Switch Pro controller, but it seems like if you stop using the controller for even 30 seconds then it disconnects. Haven't had any noticeable problems with the Mister though.
Dafoof

Unread post by Dafoof »

While we are at it, the same goes for the PCE 2.4g pads:

Hold those for 5s or so:
RUN+UP: X-Input MODE
RUN+LEFT: Switch MODE
RUN+DOWN: D-Input MODE (PCE Mini)

In PCE Mini mode, the home button just acts as pressing start+select (this is the shortcut used on the PC Engine Mini to access the home menu), so I prefer using the other modes, where it is a completely separate button. When I tried X-input, somehow the controller was recognised the same as my M30 (itself in Switch mode), so I wonder if 8bitdo didn't invert X-Input and Switch on those modes they gave me. In any case, RUN+LEFT did the trick for me.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

You inspired me to find a hidden? X-input mode on the m30 2.4ghz USB reciever. You can access it with home+up.

One of the weird things in x-input is that C and R seem to be mapped to RT/LT axis, which seems to confuse steam and won't let me properly map them. The same issue applies when using wired mode which uses x-input. Mister again handles them fine though as long as you define the buttons. It also seems like wired mode and x-input receiver look like the same model controller so you only need to define it once in mister.
Dafoof

Unread post by Dafoof »

Aah yes, that's actually the mode I had set my M30 in (maybe accidentally), which is why I had this mapping conflict with the PCE pads.
So if you have both, mapping one model to Switch and the other to X-Input seems like the optimal setup for MiSTer. :)
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

You can list out what the USB devices are reporting as on the Mister itself. Here is a script I used that could do this:
https://github.com/mcarans/resetusb/

My M30 controllers reported as "Pro Controller".

(I used this script when I was trying some things to try to "soft reset" M30 controllers, which did not work, at least for my purposes.)
yavimaya

Unread post by yavimaya »

Dafoof wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:17 am

While we are at it, the same goes for the PCE 2.4g pads:

Hold those for 5s or so:
RUN+UP: X-Input MODE
RUN+LEFT: Switch MODE
RUN+DOWN: D-Input MODE (PCE Mini)

In PCE Mini mode, the home button just acts as pressing start+select (this is the shortcut used on the PC Engine Mini to access the home menu), so I prefer using the other modes, where it is a completely separate button. When I tried X-input, somehow the controller was recognised the same as my M30 (itself in Switch mode), so I wonder if 8bitdo didn't invert X-Input and Switch on those modes they gave me. In any case, RUN+LEFT did the trick for me.

It helped me a lot. On Windows, in d-input Mode, m30 wasn't working fine because it doubled some directional inputs. Now o x-input Mode ir works just right. Thanks! :D