Trouble getting Lag Tester Core to work

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Lemonici

Trouble getting Lag Tester Core to work

Unread post by Lemonici »

For a project in an experimental design class, I've been planning on using the lag tester core to compare different connection types for a particular controller (8bitdo Arcade Stick). I've been running into a really weird problem where the output end up just being a large sine wave instead of actual lag values (average lag of ~100ms, max ~200, min ~0, I can provide pictures of the output). The odd thing is about a month ago someone else in the Discord had a similar problem with the same values. I figured something must have changed since last year when all the lag testing was taking place. Today I made a new SD card using the MiSTer build from 6/18 (I did update the MiSTer file to 6/22) and did the lag test again but got the same results. I tore down my 8bitdo controller and got the same thing. The only thing I'm not doing totally by the book is using alligator clips instead of soldering directly to the controller, but I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work. I'd really appreciate any help I can get on this, my grade might depend on it.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Trouble getting Lag Tester Core to work

Unread post by Newsdee »

I used alligator clips when I did my testing, and it was fine.

You can try reverting to an older version of the MiSTer binary, just get it from here:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... r/releases
Lemonici

Re: Trouble getting Lag Tester Core to work

Unread post by Lemonici »

Yeah, I did that to get the 6/18 build. I'm starting to wonder if there's something more fundamental I'm missing (I'm familiar but not well versed in electronics). As a more bare-bones test I put the Arduino in a bread board without anything connected and started the tests. As soon as I plugged in an alligator clip into pin 2 I started getting the same random data. Nothing else even connected. Could it be a soldering issue?