Whats up with the "8Bitdo SN30 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for Original SNES" being out of stock

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
WILL1384

Whats up with the "8Bitdo SN30 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for Original SNES" being out of stock

Unread post by WILL1384 »

I had got a "8Bitdo M30 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for the Original Sega Genesis" and paired it up with a "DaemonBite Sega Controller To USB Adapter" and it worked so well I decided to try the "8Bitdo SN30 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for Original SNES" with the "DaemonBite SNES/NES USB Controller adapter" but suddenly they went out of stock everywhere.

Is it the chip shortage, did some retro product just come out that can use the controllers, has it been discontinued, or was it just understocked and there will be more later?

I could have sworn that they were in stock earlier in the month, and a few nights back I noticed they were back in stock and when I added it to my card it disappeared, I was so mad :x
Xbytez
Site Admin

Re: Whats up with the "8Bitdo SN30 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for Original SNES" being out of stock

Unread post by Xbytez »

Yes they were discontinued, they are listed as discontinued in the support section of the 8BitDo website, I have no firm idea why, but maybe licensing issues with Nintendo in relation to the connector used in the adapter?
metalfacemark

Re: Whats up with the "8Bitdo SN30 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for Original SNES" being out of stock

Unread post by metalfacemark »

I managed to order one a few days ago from aliexpress, it was literally the only place i could find them.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

metalfacemark wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 am I managed to order one a few days ago from aliexpress, it was literally the only place i could find them.
8bitdo said more are coming. So, I'm not surprised they showed up there first. I do think we will see a new supply at Amazon and so on soon.

I'm buying two...when I can.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

It's probably component shortage, they are likely having to redesign it slightly. There are tons of components that are just gone, and even some that are discontinued and have no acceptable replacement, since the time they had designed that controller. It's a reasonable guess that it's related to the current state of affairs.
birdybro~
WILL1384

Unread post by WILL1384 »

I watched this YouTube video yesterday:

A Wireless SNES Controller For The Super NT You Can Actually Buy! But Is It Any Good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLLqk6UX6FE

they were reviewing the "Hyperkin "Scout" Premium BT Controller" and said the "8Bitdo SN30 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for Original SNES" was likely out of stock because of people buying the the "Super Nt" and trying to get wireless controllers for it, well that seems logical being that the "Super Nt" is an FPGA-based SNES that uses SNES controller ports and earlier this month they sold a bunch of them.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Xbytez wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 am Yes they were discontinued, they are listed as discontinued in the support section of the 8BitDo website, I have no firm idea why, but maybe licensing issues with Nintendo in relation to the connector used in the adapter?
Not really, the design pattens the Snes long since expired. Only thing Nintendo had in 8 bitdo was that their pads look too much like the original and it could be a trade mark issue. So 8 bitdo changed up the start and select buttons. Too much of the original pad design is in common use for Nintendo to sue over. And Nintendo can't keep people from making Snes controller plugs
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.