Better support for SNAC?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
msimplay

Re: Better support for SNAC?

Unread post by msimplay »

neogeo81 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:27 am
msimplay wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:22 pm
neogeo81 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:23 am
8bitdo has very close controllers to the NES and SNES OG controllers, i would dare to say even better because you can buy a new one.
Retro-Bit also has very close Genesis and Saturn Controllers as they use the OG molds to produce them.
Retrobit Sega 8 button controllers are terrible in my experience and 8bitdo controllers have low print run.
Also there have been reports that newer versions of controllers have worse latency the older versions that were tested for latency
From my objective view i cant feel any latency problem.
It depends which controller you have my issue with that controller isn't latency its the switching from d-input to x-input and also

The issue I have with the controller is that when I press right on the controller a facebutton also presses.

I have Retro-Bit Official Sega Genesis USB Controller 8-Button Arcade Pad wired
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-05-07 Doesn't work on Windows 10 latest updates properly.png
Screenshot_2021-05-07 Doesn't work on Windows 10 latest updates properly.png (55.24 KiB) Viewed 14397 times
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

i dont have any issue. i have the 2.4 Ghz versions.
msimplay

Unread post by msimplay »

neogeo81 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:49 am i dont have any issue. i have the 2.4 Ghz versions.
You kinda proven my point of why I would prefer snac support because its a mine field buying a usb controller.

I bought my wired version in good faith but I am having serious problems with the wired version.
There's actually no point to using it with the problem that I have.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

no, sure. for me there is no point in buying a old controller, a SNAC adapter and the USB Adapter for the Controller just to have not noticable less latency of 5ms less.
d909

Unread post by d909 »

With the very fastest usb controllers, USB is going to have about a millisecond extra latency over SNAC on average, resulting in one extra frame of input lag about 5% of the time. (Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0)

Is anyone ever going to notice this? Nope.

Nevertheless, I personally still very much wish it was PERFECT, and that 5% extra frame makes it not perfect.
edburns

Unread post by edburns »

msimplay wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:12 pm
oskarzer0 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 pm
msimplay wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 am Currently snac is one player only but I believe it should be two player.
You are absolutely right, snac should be for two players and also the code is already done and it is functional even for the osd.
I am wondering why its not the spirit of the project though?

I just finally got my MiSTer set up, including SNAC and the Bliss Box LLAPI KIT(14). I realize now that having more than one of any of the cables is folly, since apparently SNAC only supports one controller at a time. I'll take that up with Sean Green directly. My question today, in 2022(!): is there any update on SNAC supporting more than one controller?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Antonio Villenna's unofficial I/O boards have a fork called SNAC8, which supports two controllers, but I believe he had to add an extra internal pin to his board to make it work. So there's probably no easy way to make the current board's single user I/O port properly support two controllers. I would advise looking at Villena's offerings or Blissbox/LLAPI because I doubt official Mister is going to be able to get on this.