HotRod SE controlling the GUI

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
trebor

HotRod SE controlling the GUI

Unread post by trebor »

I have searched the forums, but could not locate an answer for allowing the HotRod SE to control the GUI of MiSTer. It works great for being utilized under different cores, including remapping of input.
However, to allow the ability for it to navigate through the GUI, functions such as bring up the menu, down menu item, up menu item, etc., it does not seem possible currently.

I have a modified HotRod SE with a USB keyboard encoder. Basically, think of it as being a *very* limited keyboard with only the following keys available:

A,S,Q,W,E,C,Z,X,R,D,G,F
L Ctrl
L Alt
Space Bar
L Shift
Close Brace, Open Brace
Num2, Num4, Num6, Num8.

From the above, I want to able to remap GUI controls to any of the available keyboard inputs.
There is obviously no Scroll Lock or Num Lock, so having the ability to also remap items such what the Keyboard emulates, as well as all functionality, is hopefully possible.

Just like MiSTer can be completely controlled with only a gamepad, I want to be able to control and navigate the MiSTer exclusively with just the HotRod SE attached.

However, the keyboard remapping seems to be contingent on being able to first input the default mapping first. In this case F12, Esc, Num and Scroll Lock, Arrow keys, among many other items are all not available under this 'limited keyboard' setup.

I can and have connected another USB keyboard, but it ties the remapping to the same device, so if I enter F12 on a full keyboard, and then map Close Brace from the HotRod SE, button input, it does not work.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: HotRod SE controlling the GUI

Unread post by Newsdee »

I'm having a similar problem with an I-PAC2. Basically the issue is keyboards are assumed to have all keys (e.g. F12, PrtScr, etc) and it's not possible to change that behavior at the moment (at least as far as I know).

That said, for the I-PAC, it's possible to change key bindings using a utility from their website. Check if your encoder allows the same flexibility.
trebor

Re: HotRod SE controlling the GUI

Unread post by trebor »

Newsdee wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 am Basically the issue is keyboards are assumed to have all keys (e.g. F12, PrtScr, etc) and it's not possible to change that behavior at the moment (at least as far as I know).
The assumption of keyboards assuming to have all keys is definitely an issue under this scenario. Possible workarounds perhaps could be to allow the keyboard input remapping to be universal, instead of bound to the same device. If I connect a Dell Keyboard and the HotRod SE simultaneously, inputting F12 on the Dell Keyboard, and then pressing a button on the HotRod SE appears to remap (MiSTer interface/GUI accepts it), but it does not work. It winds up leaving F12 bound to 'nothing'.

Hopefully, in a future update there may be an option to "Remap keyboard input to same device" or "Remap keyboard input to different devices". Maybe just an option "Universal Keyboard Remapping". I was hoping that was already and option or/and someone wrote a Script to enable that functionality, but unfortunately that is appearing to not be the case.

If the above is not feasible, then maybe an editable text or ini file that list all possible keyboard inputs and their respective assignments and the ability to modify it manually, or just the exceptions from default mappings. Maybe each keyboard input can be assigned a numeric value and that numeric value can be reassigned. Hypothetically, let's say F12 = 116 and C = 3. In this hypothetical text or ini file, either all keyboard inputs are listed and can be assigned a different numeric value, or just the exceptions from default, so C = 116 So, when the button input on the HotRod SE that corresponds to C is pressed, it actual now sends the '116 value' button press to the MiSTer which believes that F12 button has been pressed.