Recommended USB Joystick (for multiple cores)?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Fuzzball

Recommended USB Joystick (for multiple cores)?

Unread post by Fuzzball »

I am looking for a good joystick (Zipstick style preferrably) that can be used with most of the computer cores and perhaps can be used as an arcade stick too as I'm trying to limit the controllers (I'll also get a pad style for the console cores).

I once tried a Competition Pro Anniversary edition and found the stick a bit too stiff for my liking and the micro-switches a bit too noisy. So far I've only found that or the C64 USB stick which, from reading reviews, seems that the stick is looser but the buttons are a bit mushy. Neither of these controllers are mentioned in the controller latency spreadsheet that I have seen so I don't even know how appropriate either of these options is.

Are there any other options?

At a push, I would consider a mini arcade stick (needs to pretty small) but I don't think I would like to use the stick with my left hand which all arcade sticks seem to be oriented as. And how many arcade cores require more than 2 buttons?
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: Recommended USB Joystick (for multiple cores)?

Unread post by bazza_12 »

you could buy a kit from https://monsterjoysticks.com/
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I bought one of the cheap EG starts sets from Amazon, put it into a pre-made casing and combined it with a KTRL Arcade adapter. The total cost were about 50€. The EG Starts Joystick is nice and compatible with Sanwa parts and the push buttons are nice too. The EG starts USB adapter adds a lot of lag, but the KTRL Arcade adapter solves this problem.
WILL1384

Unread post by WILL1384 »

I got the "Mayflash Arcade Stick F300 Elite" for under $70 from Amazon, it was a open box unit, all that was wrong was missing screw-on rubber feet, it works pretty good, but I think the Sanwa buttons and joystick are too soft for me, and there is not enough room for your left hand to rest when playing for long periods of time.

I have the "8Bitdo SN30 Pro Wireless Bluetooth Controller", I like it a lot but unfortunately it's Bluetooth, so that means lots of lag, but I use it with the "8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter" and that seems to help a tad, but that might be wishful thinking.

Before the "8Bitdo SN30 Pro Wireless Bluetooth Controller" I was using a "Xbox Wireless Controller" with the "8Bitdo Wireless USB Adapter" and that seemed to also work well.

For wireless and has little lag has possible I went with "8Bitdo M30 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for the Original Sega Genesis" and a "DaemonBite Sega Controller To USB Adapter" and it works perfectly.

I also tried "8Bitdo TG16 2.4G Wireless Gamepad for PC Engine Mini, PC Engine CoreGrafx Mini, TurboGrafx-16 Mini & Nintendo Switch (TG16 Edition)" for using with NES games and TG16 games, and it seems to work pretty well.

But if you want to use a real zipstick style joystick with MiSTer FPGA your best bet is a "DaemonBite Retro Controllers To USB Adapters" have a look over here to make your own:

https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite ... ollers-USB

or over here to buy one:

https://www.daemonbite.com/shop/
Fuzzball

How many arcade cores use more than 2 buttons? I'm assuming fighting games but I've never been into them.

I'm thinking just stick with the Competition Pro as arcade sticks are a bit big for my liking and I haven't seen a use case for more than 2 buttons yet.
WILL1384

Unread post by WILL1384 »

Fuzzball wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm How many arcade cores use more than 2 buttons? I'm assuming fighting games but I've never been into them.

I'm thinking just stick with the Competition Pro as arcade sticks are a bit big for my liking and I haven't seen a use case for more than 2 buttons yet.
I am not sure on that, but I know the few arcade games I have played on the MiSTer FPGA use a button for the coin/continue and a button for number of players, so that's at least 2 extra buttons, and it's nice to have an extra button on the joystick to bring up the menu on the MiSTer FPGA, but you can assign button combos to bring up the menu, and could use a PC keyboard for any extra buttons you may need.
RetroP

Unread post by RetroP »

For USB Pad I really like the Logitech Dual Action and for Stick, I prefer the Mayflash 500 or the 8Bitdo Arcade stick, they are both very good.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Fuzzball wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm How many arcade cores use more than 2 buttons? I'm assuming fighting games but I've never been into them.

The Speedlink Competition Pro Anniversary Edition is a fine joystick, but if you have the opportunity I would recommend to test it first. It is a very very very stiff stick. The earlier model was much less stiff (and even this one was much stiffer then the original CP Sticks in the 1980s), but this model was much more laggy when it came to recognise the inputs.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Got the same joystick and indeed it is absurdly stiff. Saw this brave mod where cherry switches are substituted to make it less stiff/noisy (soldering required) and am considering doing it. Also have trouble with the buttons registering if they are hit off-center which is why that gets modded too. Wish there was another option out there for microcomputer style USB joystick...

MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

You could try one of these 3D-printed replicas.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184790407292 ... SwK21gUATc

It's fully micro-switched, using arcade parts. Then, get a DB9 to USB converter, and you have the best of both worlds - DB9 for original hardware, USB for Mister. I use one on original hardware, and it's much better than the original competition pro. On Mister, I use a Hori Real Arcade Pro V4 Hayabusa. It's ok, a bit loose for me, and I'm not a fan of convex buttons, I prefer Happ-style concave buttons, and a 4lb Tension Spring for the Hayabusa joystick.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 am You could try one of these 3D-printed replicas.

It's fully micro-switched, using arcade parts. Then, get a DB9 to USB converter, and you have the best of both worlds - DB9 for original hardware, USB for Mister. I use one on original hardware, and it's much better than the original competition pro. On Mister, I use a Hori Real Arcade Pro V4 Hayabusa. It's ok, a bit loose for me, and I'm not a fan of convex buttons, I prefer Happ-style concave buttons, and a 4lb Tension Spring for the Hayabusa joystick.
If somebody plans to use a 9-Pin2USB adapter anyway I would recommend the ArcadeR joystick

https://retroradionics.co.uk/

In my opinion the best built 9-Pin joystick on the market in this price range and it is extremely moddable too.

Just make sure to let them deliver from within EU/US as china delivery from them is very unreliable, alternatively you can order this joystick now from several european webshops. Because of their china delivery unreliability I didn't order the ArcadeR USB yet.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Is the Dual Action the same as the F310 ? I used to have one and it didn't seem to work well with the 1000 Hz polling ?

But indeed, the F310 is a favorite : cheap & sturdy, great D-pad.
RetroP wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:07 pm For USB Pad I really like the Logitech Dual Action and for Stick, I prefer the Mayflash 500 or the 8Bitdo Arcade stick, they are both very good.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Chris23235 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:41 am If somebody plans to use a 9-Pin2USB adapter anyway I would recommend the ArcadeR joystick
Any 9-Pin -> USB adapter recommendation ? Especially one working properly with the 1000 Hz polling mode ?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

I never used these adapters myself, so no recommendation from me.
Fuzzball

Chris23235 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:41 am
MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 am You could try one of these 3D-printed replicas.

If somebody plans to use a 9-Pin2USB adapter anyway I would recommend the ArcadeR joystick

https://retroradionics.co.uk/

In my opinion the best built 9-Pin joystick on the market in this price range and it is extremely moddable too.

Just make sure to let them deliver from within EU/US as china delivery from them is very unreliable, alternatively you can order this joystick now from several european webshops. Because of their china delivery unreliability I didn't order the ArcadeR USB yet.
The ones from US or EU do not ship to the UK. I went to checkout just to see what the shipping cost was and get a "no shipping options to this address" message. Then realised the ones shipping from US and EU say "ships to US only" or "Ships to EU only". We're not in the EU anymore so that explains that.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

bloody brexit!
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Fuzzball wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 am
The ones from US or EU do not ship to the UK. I went to checkout just to see what the shipping cost was and get a "no shipping options to this address" message. Then realised the ones shipping from US and EU say "ships to US only" or "Ships to EU only". We're not in the EU anymore so that explains that.
This reseller seems to ship into the UK

https://www.sintech-shop.de/arcader-9-p ... tc/a-10559

EDIT: But here they are out of stock, sigh
EDIT2: Here are 2 more shops the list the ArcadeR, don't know if they ship to UK
https://www.micomputer.es/en/inicio/460 ... stick.html
https://retro8bitshop.com/product/arcad ... -box-copy/
MiSTer_Kirk

Not in stock. Doesn't deliver to the UK. Import charges would price the Joystick way above the one I posted. Looks the same as the one I posted, only difference is injection-moulded plastic vs 3D-Printed plastic.
Fuzzball

Can anyone recommend a good 9 pin to usb adapter with low latency?
RetroP

Unread post by RetroP »

mahen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:58 am Is the Dual Action the same as the F310 ? I used to have one and it didn't seem to work well with the 1000 Hz polling ?
I'm not sure about that, but they are similar. I've not had any polling issues though.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:06 am
Not in stock. Doesn't deliver to the UK. Import charges would price the Joystick way above the one I posted. Looks the same as the one I posted, only difference is injection-moulded plastic vs 3D-Printed plastic.
In stock in several shops (see links above) at a reasonable price. How is the inside of the stick you posted? The ArcadeR is nice, because it is made with modding in mind, so all connections have plugs that can be pulled to rewire the whole thing (e.g. to change the behavior of the 2nd button or use the stick rotated by 90 degree) and it is possible to use Sanwa restrictor gates.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Fuzzball wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:19 pm Can anyone recommend a good 9 pin to usb adapter with low latency?
You have your picks.
2600-daptor
Daemonbite
Ralphnet
Monsterjoysticks DB9 adaptor

All are reliable and have low latency

If you know how to program Arduino and can solder you can make your own Daemonbite adapter
https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
MiSTer_Kirk

Chris23235 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 pm
MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:06 am
In stock in several shops (see links above) at a reasonable price. How is the inside of the stick you posted? The ArcadeR is nice, because it is made with modding in mind, so all connections have plugs that can be pulled to rewire the whole thing (e.g. to change the behavior of the 2nd button or use the stick rotated by 90 degree) and it is possible to use Sanwa restrictor gates.
First link - Simtek Germany - Out of Stock on ALL colours.
Second link - doesn't say anywhere.
Third link - "Status:Available on backorder"

My link, in the UK, in stock, no import charges or VAT, ebay buyer protection, and just works.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

2nd link says shipping to UK, 3rd link had it available earlier today, seems to be in high demand. I don't know anything about the stick you posted. Can you post pictures of the interior I am always interested in good alternatives to the classic CP.