Bluetooth or not?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Bas
Top Contributor

Bluetooth or not?

Unread post by Bas »

I'm looking to add a wireless keyboard/mouse combo to my MiSTer. The first choice is whether to go for Bluetooth or a vendor-specific 2.4 Ghz. USB dongle. I have a pile of Bluetooth USB dongles so I'm already covered there, but what would be the best choice for MiSTer? Does Bluetooth add any discernable overhead? Any advantages to it?
WILL1384

Re: Bluetooth or not?

Unread post by WILL1384 »

I like the 2.4 Ghz. USB dongle type keyboards that have a mouse bundled with them, they seem to work perfectly, and you don't have to pair them, and they only use one dongle for both keyboard and mouse.

Also a lot of the 2.4 Ghz wireless gamepads seem to have less lag than the Bluetooth gamepads, so I would tend to believe that the 2.4 Ghz keyboards and mice are also faster than the Bluetooth keyboards and mice.

I tend to stick with Logitech or Microsoft keyboards and mice.

Something to note, Logitech wireless keyboards have caused me problems on Linux in the past, mostly seemingly random strange keyboard behaviour, and that's why I am using a Microsoft keyboard and mouse now.