USB Hub - poor USB connectivity [Resolved]

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
zorrobandito

USB Hub - poor USB connectivity [Resolved]

Unread post by zorrobandito »

Weird problem here. I can only use usb devices every 5-8 power cycles. I have a wired PS4 controller, a USB mini-keyboard and a KVM keyboard and mouse set up. They either all work or none of them work. Any pointers on where to start investigating? I've switched ports, pressed keys during power on and switched devices.

Also, does the Reset button on the MISTer reset to the same degree as a power-cycle? I mean it's all solid-state...
Threepwood

Re: USB Hub - poor USB connectivity

Unread post by Threepwood »

The issues you are experiencing could be due to a faulty USB-board or bad power connection, but the official USB-Hub-Board is simply not well designed.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2116&p=19149 :
Update: Someone on the MiSTer FPGA Computer Facebook group said this,

The MiSTer USB HUB v2.1 is known for having a 2-layer layout, without a reference ground plane under the upstream USB port which concentrates all the traffic with the DE10-Nano. Wrong return path in GND and wrong 90-differential impedance transmission lines without the reference ground plane on that upstream port... and other “features” implemented for DIY “AS IS”...
That board works well for low-speed connections and few USB endpoints.
If you are intended to mix full-speed and several high-speed peripherals you better use an external USB HUB, professionally implemented by any hardware manufacturer.
Hope this comment helps understand your MiSTer related issue.

Does USB work when you only plug in one or two devices? The board most likely has a power LED at the back, does that light up? Do you have a strong enough power supply (4A or more)?

If the board has (enough) power and it only fails when you plug in all your devices, but works with one or two, then I would try a professionally implemented USB-Hub instead.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Update: Someone on the MiSTer FPGA Computer Facebook group said this,

The MiSTer USB HUB v2.1 is known for having a 2-layer layout, without a reference ground plane under the upstream USB port which concentrates all the traffic with the DE10-Nano. Wrong return path in GND and wrong 90-differential impedance transmission lines without the reference ground plane on that upstream port... and other “features” implemented for DIY “AS IS”...
That board works well for low-speed connections and few USB endpoints.
If you are intended to mix full-speed and several high-speed peripherals you better use an external USB HUB, professionally implemented by any hardware manufacturer.
Hope this comment helps understand your MiSTer related issue.
I never heard of this before.
Also professionally implemented is a garbage term. So many commercial products are obviously not "professionally implemented" at all.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
zorrobandito

My thanks to you Threepwood. It appears the problem is that the USB ports have too much 'wiggle' and if the PS3 controller connector is not aligned dead straight, then none of the USB peripherals work. That explains some of the random results. It was while testing whether single devices work that I found the problem, so they were good diagnostic pointers.
zorrobandito

Re: USB Hub - poor USB connectivity - Problem Persists

My previous response advising all resolved was a little hasty and I'm still looking for some guidance.

My MISTer was working fine for the first few months and I was getting a lot out of it. In the last couple of months, with no other significant changes, the MISTer just does not accept input reliably. I only have a single USB device connected - keyboard.

None of the USB ports on my MISTer respond. I might get a few keypresses in every few reboots but nothing reliable. All the connections seem firm, and nothing significant has changed in my setup.
  • I've tried different keyboards and controllers, bluetooth and direct
  • I've reseated the USB bridge
  • I unplugged the bridge and tried connecting directly to the MISTer I/O USB port
  • I've run the Update All script (with some difficulty)

My PSU is 5.0V 3A. I see the Threepwood recommended a 4A PSU and I will give this a try but the MISTer worked fine for months on this PSU...

What else can I try? Is there some diagnostic software I can run? An error log I can examine?
My MISTer has become a very expensive paperweight.
legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

How is your USB board powered?
Can you post a picture of it?
Have you talked to the builder of your board?
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
PQR

Unread post by PQR »

The problems you describe sound pretty similar to the issue I am currently facing.
zorrobandito

Thanks for your interest, Legacy Pixels, I appreciate it.
legacypixels wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:03 pmHow is your USB board powered?
I use the power splitter method with an inline switch.
legacypixels wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:03 pmCan you post a picture of it?
Yes, I can.
MISTer Power.jpg
MISTer Power.jpg (293.14 KiB) Viewed 5490 times
legacypixels wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:03 pmHave you talked to the builder of your board?
No, not yet. I was hoping for some "turn it upside-down for 30 mins" or "use the 1st USB on the left and look at logfile.txt" or even "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" type suggestions.
zorrobandito

PQR wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:17 pm The problems you describe sound pretty similar to the issue I am currently facing.
Yes, the symptoms do sound very similar but, because I'm using the power splitter, it shouldn't be the same root cause. However, I'll open 'er up and have a look. Thanks for the tip!
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: USB Hub - poor USB connectivity - Problem Persists

Unread post by RealLarry »

zorrobandito wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:26 amMy PSU is 5.0V 3A. I see the Threepwood recommended a 4A PSU and I will give this a try but the MISTer worked fine for months on this PSU...
Try changing the PSU. I'd a somewhat similar issue that "low-power devices" (like keyboard, mouse and a simple joystick) were working without any problems, but other devices, which are consuming "more power" (ie Arduino for tty2oled, ~400mA) were failing after a (short) time.
Tried some brand PSU's with a 5V/4A (stable and regulated) but I could see a voltage drop down to 4.7V. Changed the PSU for a MeanWell GST40A05 then and all problems are gone.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
legacypixels

Hmmm, OK.
0) Inline switch- Possible source of voltage drop, try leaving that out and testing
1) Picture: A pic of the top of the actual USB board itself if possible.
2) Terminal foo: From Menu, hit F9, login (l:root,p:1), type "dmesg -w" plug in various USB devices, look for failures or disconnects
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
PQR

Unread post by PQR »

zorrobandito wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:30 am
PQR wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:17 pm The problems you describe sound pretty similar to the issue I am currently facing.
Yes, the symptoms do sound very similar but, because I'm using the power splitter, it shouldn't be the same root cause. However, I'll open 'er up and have a look. Thanks for the tip!
Things is I'm not sure whether it's a problem with power on my setup. Just a first guess and I was interested what other people might say. I do have my device connected to a Mean Well 5V 4A adapter.

Please keep us posted when you find out more.
zorrobandito

All,

I've ordered the 5V 5A Meanwell PSU recommended by RealLarry.
I've also contected the seller, MisterAddOns, for some assistance.
legacypixels wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:07 pm 0) Inline switch- Possible source of voltage drop, try leaving that out and testing
I can't. The splitter won't run without the switch.
legacypixels wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:07 pm 1) Picture: A pic of the top of the actual USB board itself if possible.
Also prevented. The MISTer case appears to have tamper-proof screws on top. I can get the bottom open but all I see is the back of the USB board - not much help.
legacypixels wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:07 pm 2) Terminal foo: From Menu, hit F9, login (l:root,p:1), type "dmesg -w" plug in various USB devices, look for failures or disconnects
'Scuse my ignorance, but is this connecting remotely? eg via Putty or similar?
legacypixels

zorrobandito wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:19 am
I've also contected the seller, MisterAddOns, for some assistance.
Cool, Porkchop makes good stuff.
zorrobandito

FYI. The new PSU arrived today, a Meanwell Desktop Adapter 25W 5V 5A 2.1mm DC jack (GST40A05-P1J)
It's early days but everything seems to be working again!

Interesting that everything worked fine with the original adapter for many months...

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to the trouble-shooting.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

zorrobandito wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:03 pm FYI. The new PSU arrived today, a Meanwell Desktop Adapter 25W 5V 5A 2.1mm DC jack (GST40A05-P1J)
It's early days but everything seems to be working again!

Interesting that everything worked fine with the original adapter for many months...

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to the trouble-shooting.
Ha! I knew it! I've seen this and similar issues so many times, even at my own site, and it was mostly the PSU.
Glad you have your setup working again. You may toast me later. Cheeerioooh!
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx