Dreamcast controllers into USB convertor

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
BlackSpy

Dreamcast controllers into USB convertor

Unread post by BlackSpy »

Ahead of building my MiSTer I'm thinking about controllers. I've an 8bitdo one, and some X Box ones that I can wire, so I think I'll be OK.

I would like to be able to use my Dreamcast stick though. It have a Dreamcast -> USB convertor, is there any reason to believe that won't work?
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Dreamcast controllers into USB convertor

Unread post by thorr »

If it works in Windows, it should work fine. Edit: It's possible it won't work because I had an SNES USB adapter that didn't work. However, I would think that 95% of the time it would work fine.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

should work if the usb adapter provides x-input or directinput support which it probably will, check the manual if you got it or maybe look up the datasheet on the manufacturers website if it (still) exists?
BlackSpy

I'll remain optimistic then and update when I know!
BlackSpy

So it works up to a point. The config doesn't see buttons Z and C, the last pair. A bit a shame as they're handy for fighting games but not the end of the world.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Here is a simple solution. Buy one of these: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/d ... /index.php
They are touted as making some of the best USB adapters, so it should work and have almost zero lag.
BlackSpy

thorr wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:53 pm Here is a simple solution. Buy one of these: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/d ... /index.php
They are touted as making some of the best USB adapters, so it should work and have almost zero lag.
So your 'should'... have you got one and used it on a MiSTer?

It's not cheap so I don't want to shell out for it if I don't know it's going to do the job.
djsquare

Unread post by djsquare »

BlackSpy wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:36 pm
thorr wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:53 pm Here is a simple solution. Buy one of these: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/d ... /index.php
So your 'should'... have you got one and used it on a MiSTer?

It's not cheap so I don't want to shell out for it if I don't know it's going to do the job.

I don't have the Dreamcast version but I use the NES, SNES, Genesis/Atari Raphnet adapters. Not only do they do the job but you can even set the usb poll interval. I set all my adapters to 2ms.

I have no doubt the Dreamcast Raphnet adapter will work