What would be a better choice?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Lostone98

What would be a better choice?

Unread post by Lostone98 »

I am interested in either a Atari style joystick or a Japanese lever style arcade box. Would these two be supported by most console/Computer type cores?

What type of games are they most suitable for, do they both play the same games or would they be a compatibly issue? (could you just remap them?) I don't have the mister yet as its still coming in the post.

I was going to get this

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/9808152 ... ng_details

or this one:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8266930 ... e-retropie

I was also eyeing a Acrylic based Japanese lever style box which is customizable. Seller seem more helpful, so that's a plus.
darksakul

Re: What would be a better choice?

Unread post by darksakul »

The Japanese style Arcade controller would be more useful to more cores than just the Atari style stick
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Lostone98

darksakul wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:15 pm The Japanese style Arcade controller would be more useful to more cores than just the Atari style stick
Would there be an issue with button layout? Say with the the Atari joysticks, If i'm ruining a Atari 2600, they have the two buttons right and left compared to the other which are placed on the right side? Wouldn't the Arcade controller would be better then say with arcade fighters on the Neo Geo?

Hope I make sense

Edit: Is the Brook Ps4+ audio board supported on the Mister?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I don't find the two to be quite equivalent, arcade sticks typically have way more travel, the tight travel of an old-school joystick is better suited for waggle games or up=jump platformers. Arcade sticks are definitely more versatile and there's also a ton more options in USB, but if your focus is really 2600 or microcomputers...

That said what you linked looks more like a mini-arcade stick than a microcomputer style joystick, and there's a bunch other out there like that. If for some reason you want an easily handheld arcade stick there you go, but its not really the home joystick style.

Buttons are fully remapabble in Mister as long as they've been wired to send unique HiD codes, so that's generally not a concern.
Lostone98

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:51 pm I don't find the two to be quite equivalent, arcade sticks typically have way more travel, the tight travel of an old-school joystick is better suited for waggle games or up=jump platformers. Arcade sticks are definitely more versatile and there's also a ton more options in USB, but if your focus is really 2600 or microcomputers...

That said what you linked looks more like a mini-arcade stick than a microcomputer style joystick, and there's a bunch other out there like that. If for some reason you want an easily handheld arcade stick there you go, but its not really the home joystick style.

Buttons are fully remapabble in Mister as long as they've been wired to send unique HiD codes, so that's generally not a concern.
My main focus is Amiga and MS-Dos for computers and the console is Nes/Snes and maybe Neo geo stuff.

Would it be better just to stick to an 8bit duo pro 2 controllers? Which I have, just need one device that does all to save on clutter.

My main games are point and click adventure games and FPS. But want to explore a bit.

Thanks
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Witch SuperNES you are best suited witht the 8bit controller, because the shoulder buttons are were they should be, the NeoGeo is playable with a 8bit pad, but I found playing arcade games with a gamepad always a little bit awkward. MS-DOS should be fine with a pad and either of the Joysticks (on the pad you even have analog controls for analogue Joysticks).

In the end the 8bit is suitable for most tasks and it is more or less the one controller that works with everything, but to me having different controllers for the different systems was always part of the fun.
pcfreak324

Unread post by pcfreak324 »

If I were you I would buy a hitbox controller. A hitbox is more precise, because it doesn't have a joystick. It can be used both for 80s games that require a 4-way stick and for newer games that requre an 8-way stick. It is also perfect for playing console games intended to be played with a dpad. It takes some time to get used to the hitbox, but it is definetly worth it.

I have this hitbox with the Brook Universal Fighting Board (+ 115 EUR) that has very low input lag:
https://arcadeforge.net/Arcade-Sticks/C ... anguage=en

The hitbox can be customized. You could for example use custom coloured buttons to simulate a SNES layout.
Lostone98

pcfreak324 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:32 am If I were you I would buy a hitbox controller. A hitbox is more precise, because it doesn't have a joystick. It can be used both for 80s games that require a 4-way stick and for newer games that requre an 8-way stick. It is also perfect for playing console games intended to be played with a dpad. It takes some time to get used to the hitbox, but it is definetly worth it.
The Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT Ball Top Joystick can switch between the two.