Joystick input killing D-Pad input?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
AtomicShroom

Joystick input killing D-Pad input?

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

Hello,

I've encountered a strange issue using my MiSTer with an 8bitdo controller and was wondering if it's something known and/or that should/can be fixed?

I'm using the 8bitdo SN30, which replicates a SNES controller, but also has joysticks. The joysticks are fairly close to the D-Pad/buttons, so every once in a little while, inevitably I will accidentally slightly nudge the left joystick while moving about the D-Pad. Whenever this happens, whichever direction I was holding on the D-Pad gets killed, even if I never de-pressed the D-Pad. The character still stop dead in its feet, and I need to de-press and re-press the D-Pad for the input to be considered again. This has gotten me killed a few times in Contra runs.

Is this MiSTer behavior, or is it something related to the controller itself? If it's MiSTer behavior, can it be fixed?

Now, obviously, one easy solution would be for me to simply not map the joystick, but there are many games in which I prefer to use it.