Keyrah with MiSTer and A1200

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
NightShadowPT

Keyrah with MiSTer and A1200

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

Hi!

I'm about to start a project to get my MiSTer inside of an Amiga 1200 case.
I also have a Keyrah v2 that I intend to use with the MiSTer.

Does anyone have any experience with such a setup? Will the Keyrah work with the MiSTer? and if so, will the joystick ports also work?

Thank you for any information you may share on this topic.

Regards,
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: Keyrah with MiSTer and A1200

Unread post by bbond007 »

NightShadowPT wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:40 pm Does anyone have any experience with such a setup? Will the Keyrah work with the MiSTer? and if so, will the joystick ports also work?

I have ver2 Keyrah and it does indeed work, though you'll have to remap F12 using a standard keyboard as the A1200 only has 10 function keys. I mapped it to that blank key on the UK keyboard.

I'm not sure about the joystick ports as I have never tried, but I believe there are some technical limitations caused by how the Keyra's game ports are mapped to key codes.
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

I also plan to do something similar when I get my A1200.net case/keys and have a spare A1200 old case/keys.

I have the Keyrah V2 but was planning on using the Arduino USB keyboard sketch. But I have not tried the Keyrah yet to see if there are any benefits. (I want to use setup with MiST and MiSTer so mine will be a A1200 case with USB lead out the back)

If going the Arduino route, you will need a A500 keyboard controller. The A1200 membrane connector plugs straight in.
NightShadowPT

bbond007 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:03 pm I have ver2 Keyrah and it does indeed work, though you'll have to remap F12 using a standard keyboard as the A1200 only has 10 function keys. I mapped it to that blank key on the UK keyboard.

I'm not sure about the joystick ports as I have never tried, but I believe there are some technical limitations caused by how the Keyra's game ports are mapped to key codes.
Noted on the F12 mapping (was already expecting to deal with it somehow).

Do you have the setup inside an A1200 case? If you do, how well does it fit?
Higgy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:52 pm I also plan to do something similar when I get my A1200.net case/keys and have a spare A1200 old case/keys.

I have the Keyrah V2 but was planning on using the Arduino USB keyboard sketch. But I have not tried the Keyrah yet to see if there are any benefits. (I want to use setup with MiST and MiSTer so mine will be a A1200 case with USB lead out the back)
I'm also waiting for my A1200.net case... :)

Having the keyrah already, what would be the benefits of choosing the Arduino route?
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

So want my CD32 Special Edition. Hopefully soon...

I don't know if there are any real benefits. F11 and F12 are mapped to the A1200 UK blank keys and Help etc for A500 users.
I just heard that Keyrah has some bugs with multiple presses?

I think I just need to get it all setup and see what is what.
I hate having to keep putting that fragile keyboard membrane in, so next time I try anything will be when my case is ready :)
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

i made one with a 1200 and a pi years ago.. was a bit messy.. i never really got along with it. then read about mister, bought a de10 and the amiga-pi got left to collect dust.
AmigaPi (2).jpg
AmigaPi (2).jpg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
AmigaPi (3).jpg
AmigaPi (3).jpg (198.52 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
NightShadowPT

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:50 am i made one with a 1200 and a pi years ago.. was a bit messy.. i never really got along with it. then read about mister, bought a de10 and the amiga-pi got left to collect dust.

AmigaPi (2).jpgAmigaPi (3).jpg
Yeah, I know what you mean.

The Amiga on a Pi never felt right to me... that's why I want to use the MiSTer ;)
NightShadowPT

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:50 am i made one with a 1200 and a pi years ago.. was a bit messy.. i never really got along with it. then read about mister, bought a de10 and the amiga-pi got left to collect dust.

AmigaPi (2).jpgAmigaPi (3).jpg
My case has finally arrived. I have a couple of questions that will help me with the project:

1 - What is the name of those cable extensions that screw to the back? Searching for usb extension or male female does not seem to be producing the right results on Amazon :(

2 - How did you screw the cables to the back? Is that a 3D Printed back plate? Is it available online somewhere? (I have a printer, but havent been able to find the file)

Thanks
bazza_12
Top Contributor

2. the backplate is deceptive. i couldn't find a template online either so i ended up making what you see here from cardboard, it's not ideal.. i planned to use it as a guide to do a 3d print but never got round to it.. as soon after i'd done this i bought a MiSTer and left the a1200 languishing under the bed in the spare room!.. earlier on in the year I salvaged the Pi from it and used it in an mt32pi for the mister too.. sorry

1. not sure which cables, but these are the ones i used from amazon uk..

TOOGOO(R) 1FT RJ45 Male to Female Screw Panel Mount Ethernet LAN Network Extension Cable
50cm Dual USB 2.0 Male to Female Extension Cable with Screw Panel Mount Holes
HDMI Panel Mount Type Cable With Screws Male to Female HDMI Extension Cable 50cm
Micro usb 5pin male to female with screw panel mount extention cable
3.5mm Male Plug to 3 RCA Female Audio Video AV Cable 22cm <<not sure why i bought this.. you only need one with 2 RCA connectors for audio

hope this helps.
NightShadowPT

bazza_12 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:33 am hope this helps.
More than I could ask.

Much appreciated.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Is it possible to build an Amiga keyboard only with new parts + a KeyRah?

At the moment I think there are still no keycaps (at least)... and seeing some of the prices,
it may be cheaper to just buy an Amiga 500 and replace the motherboard...
NightShadowPT

A little bit of Necro bumping, but I want to provide an update on my "slowly moving" project:

- Had a problem with my A1200 keyuboard where some of the keys were not working. Did some troubleshooting with the Keyrah, but the culprit ended up being the membrane. New membrane is now onboard and all keys work.
- The Keyrah works perfectly connected to the MiSTer for the Keyboard (but not the DB9 ports) - it is amazing how much more natural this makes the Amiga core feel.

Next Challenges:
- Finding a solution for the power supply. I would prefer to have an internal power supply with a ON/OFF switch, but I can live with a power brick as long as I can install the switch.
- Model the back for 3D printing... this may take a while.
- Getting an original Amiga joystick to work (not essential because I have USB options, but would be nice since these ports are already available on the Keyrah)
- Getting my new Keycaps (waiting for the project to deliver... hopefully sometime this year)

For now, I will probably focus on finding a solution for the Power Supply. Any suggestions on what I could use?

Cheers
bazza_12
Top Contributor

as I recall the db9 ports wouldn't work when i tried to use it with a pi a few years back.

for my mister i use: from amazon uk.
NorthPada Raspberry Pi 3 Model B B+ A+ / ASUS Tinker Board S Power Supply 5V 3A Micro USB 5 Feet with Power On/Off Switch LED Light
with a JENOR DC 5.5x2.1mm Male Plug to Micro USB Female Connector Adapter Charge Converter

it's got a little inline push button on/off.. also makes a nice clicky sound.. lol added bonus.. lol.