SNAC and you

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
lamarax
Top Contributor

SNAC and you

Unread post by lamarax »

Hello knowledgeable folks,

Tomorrow I'm receiving a SNAC board of the usb flavor from a great seller in the EU.

I bought both the SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis adapters to go with it, so my question is; will setting and forgetting the IO6 jumper on my 6.1 analog board permanently to the 5V position (for use with an MD pad) affect the operation of my OG SFC controller with the SNES core?
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: SNAC and you

Unread post by thorr »

lamarax wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:11 pm will setting and forgetting the IO6 jumper on my 6.1 analog board permanently to the 5V position (for use with an MD pad) affect the operation of my OG SFC controller with the SNES core?
You will be all set and never have to move the jumper. I never touch the jumper and use SNAC for lots of different things.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Thank you! Just tested with the SFC pad attached and it works a treat!

But man... isn't that whole SNAC assy frail (and frankly a pain to manage)? Pity that bliss-box cables are so elusive; I certainly favor LLAPI for peace of mind alone.
PeacheyMcKeitch

Unread post by PeacheyMcKeitch »

Thanks for posting this I just got my SNAC + SNES and Mega Drive adaptors in and was wondering this.

Re the SNACs being frail, yeah I do agree having the bare circuit boards out seems like an accident waiting to happen. Was thinking a SNAC bracket to add to the "Sandwich" of mister add-on boards would be cool. So at least only the adaptors would be dangling out. Maybe something to look into with a 3D printer.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

At one point, I made an enclosure out of legos with short USB 3.0 extension cables coming out of both ends.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

thorr wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:28 am At one point, I made an enclosure out of legos with short USB 3.0 extension cables coming out of both ends.
Alas, I've thrown away all my legos long time ago :cry: There are of course various .stl files on thingverse for SNAC enclosures, plus I've found a Canadian guy selling them, but unfortunately I don't live in NA, nor do I have access to a 3d printer.

Another thing I noticed with SNAC, is that the cores don't save the Hardware->Serial->SNAC setting, so if you suddenly find your controller not working, that doesn't necessarily mean you've maimed, zapped, or outright broken the thing :mrgreen:
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

lamarax wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:56 pm
thorr wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:28 am At one point, I made an enclosure out of legos with short USB 3.0 extension cables coming out of both ends.
Alas, I've thrown away all my legos long time ago :cry: There are of course various .stl files on thingverse for SNAC enclosures, plus I've found a Canadian guy selling them, but unfortunately I don't live in NA, nor do I have access to a 3d printer.

Another thing I noticed with SNAC, is that the cores don't save the Hardware->Serial->SNAC setting, so if you suddenly find your controller not working, that doesn't necessarily mean you've maimed, zapped, or outright broken the thing :mrgreen:
If you are feeling daring, you could just plug in the two extension cords to the SNAC board and encase it in hot glue. You wouldn't be changing that jumper then for sure ;-) (unless you leave that exposed).

If you save the settings in the core, it should remember the setting. I haven't run into any issues with it remembering to keep it on SNAC. Sometimes I need to go in and turn it off (if I am not wanting to use SNAC at the time).
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

thorr wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:07 pm If you are feeling daring, you could just plug in the two extension cords to the SNAC board and encase it in hot glue. You wouldn't be changing that jumper then for sure ;-) (unless you leave that exposed).
I tried the ghetto approach; wrapping it up in pink anti-static bubble wrap :P

Because that truly hurt my aesthetic :ugeek:, imma forward some .stl files to a local 3d printing shop and await the excruciating price they will demand for the one-off job.
thorr wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:07 pm If you save the settings in the core, it should remember the setting. I haven't run into any issues with it remembering to keep it on SNAC. Sometimes I need to go in and turn it off (if I am not wanting to use SNAC at the time).
You're right! Cores do indeed remember the setting, I just have the bad habit of hitting reset whenever I make a change :mrgreen:
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

i agree, SNAC is kind of bulky and unwieldy.
something more streamlined and ready to plug in an OEM controller would be nice (like a blissbox).

my current setup has a SNAC adapter directly attached to the IO board > USB3 extension cable > bracket/fixed spot on my case.
and then each OEM controller is pre-connected to its accompanying SNAC adapter to swap out as needed
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Hmmm.. today SNAC quit working with my 6 button MD [1653-50] pad; I mean it's still recognized, but responds fully only with a couple of roms. It's fine via bliss cable and LLAPI 🤔

Imma try with a 3-button [1650] OG controller and report back. Still, that's weird

[Edit] SNES on the other hand, is rock solid with a Super Famicom pad :?

[Edit] well, 1650 works. One thing I've noticed with the 6-button, is that 'mode select' on the controller (meaning switching between 3 and 6 buttons depending on the game) doesn't do square. So that leads me to think it's a core implementation issue other than anything
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

lamarax wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:11 pm Hmmm.. today SNAC quit working with my 6 button MD [1653-50] pad; I mean it's still recognized, but responds fully only with a couple of roms. It's fine via bliss cable and LLAPI 🤔

Imma try with a 3-button [1650] OG controller and report back. Still, that's weird

[Edit] SNES on the other hand, is rock solid with a Super Famicom pad :?

[Edit] well, 1650 works. One thing I've noticed with the 6-button, is that 'mode select' on the controller (meaning switching between 3 and 6 buttons depending on the game) doesn't do square. So that leads me to think it's a core implementation issue other than anything
This all turned out to be a bad 6 button controller (because I've modded it with a longer cable 😳)